Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XC short travel FS or HT?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Looking at adding a bike to the stable, for head down XC blasts and occasional longer general XC rides would a short travel FS bike (Trance or something?) or HT be best???

I have a Prince Albert built up with Pikes at the moment which is my do it all bike, love it. My only experience of FS bikes are 6-7" heavy bikes (Coiler etc…).

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got one of each (hardtail is a Van Nic Zion with F80RLT's and the FS is an Epic with SID Teams). They're both pretty fast but of the two I still just about prefer the Epic.

My bikes are fairly similar weights though (the Epic makes up for a heavier frame with a higher spec build), so I'm not sure if I'd still prefer the FS if it was maybe 3lbs heavier.

I've got heavier/longer travel bikes as well (Enduro with Pikes and a Soul with Nixons) but still find the sheer speed of the lighter bikes a lot of fun. My Epic goes into hibernation for the winter and I gave it the first outing of the year this morning – fantastic.

mrmo
    Free Member

it depends, a hardtail is more direct and imo snappier, but i find the fs saves my back a bit and does offer a little more traction on some climbs.

If the ground is rough you can sit down and turn a big gear on a FS where on a hardtail you might have to get out of the saddle to absorb the bumps.

The downside is a FS will weigh a little more, but choose the right wheels and you won't really notice it and it will offer a bit cheaper spec for the same money, no easy way round that.

oh and i am just about to take delivery of one of these, to replace my '07 one.

njee20
    Free Member

Very personal.

Light FS for me, Anthem's are very popular, but you won't go far wrong with an Epic, Top Fuel etc either. If you're thinking of longer travel bikes like the Trance then the weight does go up a bit, but I'd still say FS personally.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

You all seem to confirm what I was thinking about a FS, sit and blast is what I'm after. Guess my afternoon is now sorted on reading up of all the options 8) (after Tesco's that is)

njee20
    Free Member

Good choice mrmo, I love my Top Fuel, quickest bike I've ever had.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XC short travel FS or HT?’ is closed to new replies.