Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • XC Rims choice – opinions please!
  • myorangecrush
    Free Member

Im building a new Cotic Soul up and need some hoops. So…

DT swis XR 400’s
    Mavic 717’s
    Stans Crests

Im thinking Crests….. Anyon had a bad time with any of these rims? Going to get used for XC and trail.

thepurist

Crests for me. You’ll get the horror stories about some tyres being a pita to fit, so maybe worth checking up on your rubber of choice beforehand.

cp

Depends what your riding might involve, or what wheels you’re after – something feathery XC race light? Something light for all day riding but not silly light? Something more robust that will take a few knocks/jumps? How much do you weigh? What tyres will you use?

The Stans Arch EX is the same weight as the XR400, yet stiffer/stronger than the Crest.

Not sure how well the 717 works tubeless.

br
    Free Member

I’ve 2 sets of Hope/Crest’s. Light enough, strong and wide. What more do you need.

No issues with tyres, but I do run them as they were designed – ie tubeless.

moonboy
    Free Member

as the man says, crests are light, strong and wide.

I have found that I do have put the tyres on ‘properly’ (working in the dip oppo the valve and round) but after a few early man-cave shouting sessions its now fairly easy and I can do maxxis tyres without levers on and off.

If running tubes I cannot get my 2011 schwalbe nics or raplhs on but they will with stans tubless tape and tubeless. I believe newer schwalbes are better.

I got mine from wiggle when they were reduced a few months ago, hope hoops, proIIs and got extra discount through top cashback. Happy days.

superfli
    Free Member

I have recently changed my rear XC400 to ArchEX. My XC400 was dented and bent and tatty as hell. IMO they are too weak. After being impressed with Flow rims on my FS bike, I opted for the ArchEX as the claimed weight is same as XC400 but should be tougher than Crest.
    Only picked up the rebuilt wheel yesterday, so not had a chance to ride it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

crests have gotten wider recently I think – I was using a Maxxis Ignitor LUST on a 355 but it is very difficult to get on a crest.

Obviously mixing tubeless sytems, the Stans are for making non-tubless specific tyres tubeless, so shouldn’t have this problem with a normal Maxxis. Bonty Mud X went on fine.

But the LUST was a nice fit on the 355, inflated with no compressor or gas needed and good sidewalls.

boxelder

My hope hoop/ crests you asked about are still available. Email me for pics/details.
    Virtually new, yellow taped for tubeless, straight pull spokes (with spares).
    £215 posted, tracked and insured. RRP is £350+
    Will set them up tubeless with tyres of your choice (tyres you pay for!)

njee20
    Free Member

crests have gotten wider recently I think – I was using a Maxxis Ignitor LUST on a 355 but it is very difficult to get on a crest.

Crests haven’t changed, but they’re not just a rebadged 355.

The older rims (355, Flow, Olympic, Arch) were slightly smaller, the newer ones (Race, Podium, Flow Ex, Arch Ex, Crest, Alpine) with “BST2” or whatever they call it are slightly larger, which makes tyre fitting harder, and inflation easier. Slightly annoyingly at the same time Schwalbe made their tubeless ready tyres with a slightly smaller diameter bead, which achieves the same thing, but makes for tight combinations.

Crests for my money for sure.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Crests definitely. For a Soul build it’d be silly to put on anything heavier.

iainc
    iainc

planning on running my Crest’s with tubes right enough….

myorangecrush
    Free Member

Great advice – it’s all much appreciated. Thanks ! The soul will be spending it’s time in the south Pennines and snowdononia with the odd lakes foray. Ill go crests and give the DTs a swerve…

iainc

Are you running them tubeless ?

br
    Free Member

on running my Crest’s with tubes right enough….

Why, when they are designed to be run tubeless?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The profile on the 717 looks similar to the 719’s that I just got tubeless with yellow tape no levers and a track pump.

iainc

Be – simply as that is what I am used to, but may consider changing, and I thought they were designed for either :

Stan’s NoTubes ZTR rims require yellow tape for tube or tubeless use. A tubeless valve is necessary for tubeless use. Tape and valve not included with rims. Please see the individual rim description for details.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Crests haven’t changed, but they’re not just a rebadged 355.

pretty sure I saw people on this forum making that comment about current crests seeming to be wider than earlier ones.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘XC Rims choice – opinions please!’ is closed to new replies.