Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • XC racing shorts preferably of the baggy variety!
  • trialsguru
    Free Member

Hi guys, can anyone recommend me any cycling shorts suitable for xc racing, preferably baggy as I don’t fancy wearing lycra and shaving my legs!!

something lightweight and freely movable!

thanks,
    Pete

ir_bandito
    Free Member

n-zo dobies. Perfect compromise.

molgrips
    Free Member

What an odd question. Why would shorts be XC specific?

radoggair
    Free Member

why dont you just go lycra like most of the other competitors?

Its designed for that reason

Shaving legs is optional in mtb racing but u should try it, it feels real nice

MrSmith
    Free Member

What an odd question. Why would shorts be XC specific?

it’s more to do with colour, some people like to ride their bikes without looking like they are wearing the lurid coloured pyjama’s of their youth, DH/FR clothing looks to it’s ugly big brother motocross for sartorial guidance.

trialsguru
    Free Member

Why is it such an odd question? Not everyone wants to prance around like a 8yr old Russian gymnast!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why is it such an odd question? Not everyone wants to prance around like a 8yr old Russian gymnast!

You might struggle not too.

But real men wear lycra and are comfortable with their manliness.

Those who shy away from wearing lycra clearly have “issues”

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s an odd question because if you want some baggy shorts go and get some baggy shorts. Why would some be unsuitable for XC racing?

Re lycra – open your eyes a bit.

8 year old Russian gymnast, or harder man you will ever be? You decide:

vdubber67
    Free Member

best oxymoron of this week 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

trialsguru races for Team Richie McCoy 😉

cp

Baggies are such a FAFF when racing, they just get in the way.

and for those NZO Dobies above – Bikeradar said this:-

The problem on longer rides is simply that Dobies don’t stay in place as well as Lycra shorts or liners. That bit more movement means a little more chafing.

Just not worth the hassle, go with black lycra!

donsimon
    Free Member

Not serious about your racing so go for the baggies and don’t worry about what ^^^^^^^they’ve said.

trialsguru
    Free Member

Jesus christ, typical internet response, I’m not a super serious racer, I simply wanted some opinions on lightweight shorts suitable for racing, I.e not restrictive and comfortable over long periods! I am hardly comparing myself to David millar I simply cannot see a benefit of wearing Lycra for a local xc race in which I am participating for fun!!

Can anyone suggest any lightweight shorts???

will
    Free Member

Without opening this thread I knew it would decend into a baggies vs Lycra conversation argument.

Whilst I agree that Lycra is brilliant for any riding, and I will always were lycra I appreciate some people wouldn’t want to.

I’ve always found Endura shorts to be good quality and fit. Have a look on Wiggle.

thomthumb
    Free Member

endura singletrack shorts are nice. HTH

vinnyeh

Mavic Stratos.

trialsguru
    Free Member

Finally some helpful opinions, thanks guys ill take a look!

spacehopper

just got some pearl izumi launch kickers..

fantastic shorts..! light nice feeling fabric for the outers and a really comfy liner..

thought they might feel a little long as they come just over my knees but i dont notice at all..

a million times better than the altura shorts i had before..!

monksie
    Free Member

I’m sure this place is going to implode soon.
    Trialsguru – further to the other recommendations, I bought a pair of Dare2b from Go Outdoors as an emergency pair and I wear them more than any others now.
    Very light, wear well, non rustly, dry quickly and quite cheap. They have a very thin detachable liner which I like but others might hate.

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t beat Sugoi Gustav’s but they are pretty pricey these days.

Molgrips argues against baggies by posting a roadie 😆

monksie
    Free Member

You could have stopped that sentence after Molgrips argues.

molgrips
    Free Member

FFS I was not advocating lycra! I just said that any baggies would do, which is why it was an odd question. Who the hell designs restrictive hot baggy cycling shorts? 😯

The picture was to point out that people in lycra look like cyclists, not gynmast children.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bikeradar said this

which goes to show media reviews don’t always match personal experience. I find my Dobies are really comfortable especially on a hot day. Supportive and not being mega tight, allows a bit of air-flow roud your ‘nads.

DezB
    Free Member

The picture was to point out that people in lycra look like cyclists, not gynmast children.

I don’t. I look like a fat arsed freak. So my son says 🙁

plaidTortoise
    Free Member

I’ve some Dakine cycling baggies that are too long for XC. and rub on the knees, making them hot and uncomfortable for pedalling, recently bought some Endura Singletrack shorts, that are shorter and don’t have this problem. Two pockets, none with a zip.
    I’m ok with baggies for racing they have pockets to put gels, and the wrappers once used (different pocket for empty wrapper as all a bit sticky).

molgrips
    Free Member

If they are hot and uncomfortable for pedalling would that not make them unsuitable in general? 🙂

plaidTortoise
    Free Member

Yep, you’d have thought so…. My theory is they are meant more for downhill use, where the knee pads would stop the rubbing. But having to check that a cycling short was going to comfortable for pedaling in wasn’t something that occurred to me when I tried them on.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘XC racing shorts preferably of the baggy variety!’ is closed to new replies.