Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • XC Racing Bike Question
  • jazid
    Free Member

Hi there,

Have been dabbling with a bit of XC racing over the last few years – nothing too serious. Usually placed in top 25-35 mixed category of Mayhem or SITS and about mid table in the 2hr solo Thetford Winter series (outside the points!), so I'm an average rider.

Currently riding a mostly stock Trek Fuel EX8 and am considering a bike upgrade to something more XC and less trail.

I have been toying with the idea of either going back to a HT (carbon?) or looking at something like an Anthem that most of my firends ride and rave about (but sadly I've never ridden). Budget wise, if I manage to sell of my old bikes then will be able to stretch to £1600 tops.

Any thoughts/recommendations and I'd be interested to hear what machines you chaps race XC on these days?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I've got an Anthem & before that had another Anthem!
    Used to race on a hardtail & still have an XTC, but very rarely ride it as it just doesn't seem as quick & isn't as comfortable.

njee20
    Free Member

It's a personal choice really, hardtail's are lighter for a given budget, which may be a consideration. Frankly though, I'd say any £1600 bike probably won't be a significant jump from an EX8. If you do go down that route look at the Pedal Force carbon hardtails on eBay.

Assuming you're keeping the EX, I'd struggle to recommend an Anthem or equivalent, they're just too similar, you'd be better off spending the money making the EX lighter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Surf-Mat
    Free Member

£1600 gets you a Stumpy HT Comp – then upgrade it as bit wear out – that's what I've done and now have a fairly serious whippet of a bike for not a huge outlay of cash.

njee20
    Free Member

But £1600 on the EX would make it rather tasty, it's not exactly a complete heifer of a bike!

the-muffin-man

+1 on njee20's post.

Upgrade the Trek if its still stock spec (lighter wheels etc) – or get a road bike, a heart rate monitor and knock loads and loads of miles out – that'll make you faster!

clubber
    Free Member

Or heaven forbid, go on a proper training camp for a week which will make far more difference…

njee20
    Free Member

But it's basically the same spec as the EX, just not worth doing!

meandyuk

Cube AMS – bang on the money? 🙂 I have one and I think it's pretty racey (although I have never raced on it)

jazid
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I already upgraded the wheels to Easton XC Ones and put new XT crank on it and that has made a noticeable difference (as has the week road climbing in the alps!)

Just thought that the EX might be too trail and have a bit too much flex (thus the carbon HT route)

Point taken about the Anthem being similar, although aren't you thinking about the Trance rather than the Anthem?

whyter

Maxlight frame and just buy bits?

vdubber67
    Free Member

whyter – Member

Maxlight frame and just buy bits?

+1

XC Pro2s are ace, and there's pro 3 now I think?

radoggair
    Free Member

i bought a carbon stumpy expert for that money in the 20% xmas sales. It helps someway towards getting better positions in races but i would also recommend a road bike and putting in some serious training

Get yourself a goal and train towards it, for instance aim for a top 20 position. When you hit that, aim for top 15 and so on. The bike is only as good as the rider on it

neninja
    Free Member

The Anthem X and EX are certainly very different – 40mm travel different for starters.

The Anthem is a lighter frame and shorter travel. It gives a more hardtail like ride but with the benefit of rear travel. I went from a carbon XTC hardtail to an Anthem X and can highly recommend it.

It climbs very well with no noticeable pedal bob, it's very quick on the flat and descends better than you would think.

It's made such a difference to my speed and riding that a mate is selling his hardtail and buying one himself.

njee20
    Free Member

Anthem is 100mm? So 20mm different, weight is comparable. I'd rather race an EX9.9 than an entry level Anthem, which was my point. I'd rather put some really light wheels on the EX and some lightweight finishing kit, it'll probably weigh less than a Kinesis or similar built up on the cheap.

The Fuel EX is a perfectly raceable bike. If you really must have a new bike I'd still go for one of the carbon frame on eBay, far lighter than a Kinesis, for less money.

If you don't have one, a road bike would be a better investment.

What events are you wanting to do too? Are you just wanting to be slightly higher up the field in enduros, or are you looking to do some proper XC racing?

keavo
    Free Member

i have no knowledge of your current bike but….good wheels with fast rolling tubeless tyres would be my first thought.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not quite the same but a mate recently won a local (but highly competitive) race on a Top Fuel. Yes they are more XC but not hugely different.

njee20
    Free Member

That's a bit irrelevant as the Top Fuel is as much of a race bike as anything out there. I still say there's no point in having a lesser specced hardtail in the vain hope it'll be quicker!

jazid
    Free Member

Thanks for the active discussion. I'm not sure a change tot the Top Fuel will make much of a difference though.

Neninja, looks like you had the same dilema as me (ex9.0 vs anthem post, although you never did post that photo post upgrade).

Think I'll focus on my fitness although I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a local 2nd hand Anthem. Ill consider changing my Mountain King 2.2 front tyre to something less grippy for racing as well (to match my RRalph on the rear).

njee20
    Free Member

I'm not sure a change tot the Top Fuel will make much of a difference though

Like I say, the Top Fuel is as much of a race bike as the Anthem, I really wouldn't bother with either unless it was much better specced!

2.1" Rocket Rons are good race tyres. You could get some NoTubes wheels and drop 250g without much difficulty, keep them for racing. Get yourself a light seatpost/saddle/bar/stem. Could do all that for £600, you've still got £1000 left over, for a road bike if you've not got one!

keavo
    Free Member

i would definitely go for the wheels tyres/tubeless upgrade. bars/stem/seatpost/saddle…go for it if want to spend the cash but myself i wouldn't bother. they will make little difference to your speed but your bike will be lighter when you pick it up to put it in the car.
    i'm racing on a niner air9 with stans crest/bonty duster rims tubeless stans crow rear kenda karma/geax saguaro front. other than that pretty average xt level kit. if i can't ride well or get a result, its not the bike at fault.

njee20
    Free Member

Frankly, you could put more air in your shock and it'd ride more like an Anthem/Top Fuel. 20mm less travel, sadly, will not be a short cut to the podium!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘XC Racing Bike Question’ is closed to new replies.