Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • should i start cross country racing?
  • brindley
    Free Member

is it worth starting cross country racing?
    ive always been decent at climbing, but i was a bit of a whimp going down! this summer ive been working hard at my down hill riding, i admit a few crashes but am definatly getting better! As im only 16 ive been told to start racing mostly by my brother. what kind of bike would be good for it baring in mind im 16 and would struggle to make any more than £800, i wouldnt mind going second hand. Also how do i go about getting involved in races?

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you’ve got a bike go along to a race (where are you) and have a crack.

you’ll either enjoy it or not. it’s fun, and everyone is friendly, even the fast guys.

brindley
    Free Member

over the chase, will do thanks

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve never done it, but I’m tempted to try the Gorrick series. You’d get a fairly decent hardtail for £800.

sambob
    Free Member

Go for it, I’ve only done a couple but they’re a good laugh. I’m only 17 so I’m youth/juniors for some and Mens for others, but I’m not racing for positions so it’s not an issue. Getting myself an On-One Whippet frame soon, and going to put the bits from my current bike on that. Have a look at the classifieds on here, some well looked after bargains come up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, but it’s much harder than you can ever imagine!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Youth and Junior are pretty tough but I did them when I was neither good at uphills or downhills and I’m still racing now. I enjoy it, and you’ll only know if you try it. I love it, it’s a real fix for me.

£800 will get you a nice 2nd hand hardtail like an Aluminium Scott Scale, or a Cube. The best oplace to look is on here or xcracer.com. Don’t buy one until you know you like racing though!

vegasdave
    Free Member

It is tough,but great fun. Try a local event first. Is there a local Club,or Shop that’s involved with XC?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘should i start cross country racing?’ is closed to new replies.