Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • XC races….why do they….
  • DT78
    Free Member

put in sections which have really really short sharp climbs (like sub 2-3 seconds) which a good proportion of people can’t make it up, stalling and causing chaos to those behind?

I’m all for making courses tough, but after the 5th time at todays Gorrick that I had to stop as a rider in front stalled I started getting a bit narked with it.

It ruins the flow, how about chucking a few more horrible climbs in there to sort the men from the boys and put nice little diversions around these pointless features.

My mood probably isn’t helped by the fact I got pulled over on the M3 for forgetting to put my seatbelt on. The first time I’ve not worn a seatbelt in 10years of driving, what are the chances….

matt_outandabout

My mood probably isn’t helped by the fact I got pulled over on the M3 for forgetting to put my seatbelt on. The first time I’ve not worn a seatbelt in 10years of driving, what are the chances…

You must have been seriously distracted…
    Is it not all part of the tactics – get of and run or pedal and make it?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I assume they put in difficult bits to reward the stronger or more skillful riders? Otherwise it would just be fireroads. Having said that, I didn’t see anyone stall on anything during my race. Which category were you doing?

If you don’t want to get caught out by someone else’s mistakes then you need to go hard at the start and get out in front. If you get stuck in traffic and someone screws up, well that’s just racing I’m afraid.

I liked the course even though I didn’t really have the legs for it today. Always something going on, very little fireroad compared to the previous one.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I had the same problem. A lady in front of me did it three times. She stopped at the top and I stopped in the middle so it took me a long time to get going again…I really felt for the people behind me who stood no chance. Perhaps they need a “chicken route”, something quite a bit longer but with less of a severe climb. I know its sometimes used around particularly tough features.

I also missed the start of my race…but that’s my own fault. Doh.

Just reread and I must admit I like the features, as we both said though there needs to be another option for people who can’t manage them.

tazzymtb

put in sections which have really really short sharp climbs

I like those as it’s a good spot to make places over those who are weaker quickly

DT78
    Free Member

You can’t pass people who are lying on the ground blocking the trail…. the half a lap I had with no-one in front I cleared all of them, so not a matter of skill honestly it was just bodies in the way blocking it so you had to stop….maybe I could have pulled some incredible uphill bunnyhop clean over them?

I was racing open, and to be fair I started some way near the back as I always feel rude to try and elbow my way towards the front at the start

Maybe make these features dual track, so you both have to head up the feature but you have a clear run rather than keep getting blocked. I quite like them in normal riding as they are a challenge, but in a race they are frustrating when you keep getting stopped

oldgit
    Free Member

I was racing open, and to be fair I started some way near the back as I always feel rude to try and elbow my way towards the front.

It happens in cross to a lesser extent. I’m afraid you do need to be where your fitness dictates.
    And you (I imagine) get lots of people that haven’t done practice laps, so they’ll not have any idea of what’s coming up.

But that’s racing. It happens to me, but then I should be in front if I’m better so it’s my own fault 🙂

br
    Free Member

The fast folk don’t have a problem, and if they can’t middle ring it they’ll just jump off and run. So I’ve observed…

tbh I’ve done a load of Gorricks’ and once you’ve a decent level of fitness and are prepared to really go for it at the start – those ‘slow’ riders are already behind you.

The first time I’ve not worn a seatbelt in 10years of driving, what are the chances….

I’m sure the copper believed you 🙄

offthebrakes
    Free Member

+1 oldgit.

To be fair, Open is and always has been the biggest bunfight of any of the Gorrick categories. Large field with a very wide range of abilities from almost complete novice to fast and furious.

If you start near the back in Open, you WILL get held up all over the place from the first bottleneck onwards.

Get to the start line earlier, or just politely ask people to let you through towards the front. If you are quick then most of the slower, less-skilled or more nervous riders would much rather you start in front of them anyway, instead of having you breathing down their neck on a technical section.

DT78
    Free Member

The copper did believe me (I think) as my response to ‘Would you like to tell me why you aren’t wearing a seatbelt’ was ‘I am’ followed by a rather stunned silence when I looked down and it wasn’t there….

Sadly mandatory fine if on the motorway.

I’m a mid to top third rider in the open, so definitely not super fast. My mate who I train with rode Masters and was a couple of mins quicker than me overall even though I am generally quicker when we race together – I’ll put that down to getting held up.

I think this is why I prefer the endurance events (like next fortnights BM) as these little holds up matter far less for your overall time.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You can’t pass people who are lying on the ground blocking the trail..

But you can ride straight at them, they’ll sure move quicker

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I’m quite looking forward to these features in the upcoming brass monkeys, I would hope that I am not one of those people that blocks the trail. As I am no xc whippet and my fitness still has quite a way to go, although compared to 8 months ago Im so fit.

I thought these races were going to be ‘fun’ for want of a better word but worried now in case I cause someone to vent on a forum!

singletrackmind

What about the people who dive up the inside after you have said ‘Leave a little gap , the roots at the top are slipery as’ Then they cut you up and fall in front of you , whilst battling over 38/ 39th place.
    Or the bloke who thought Kenda SB8’s would be a good idea in November, Yeah coz it will be dusty..
    I died , or to be exact my lower back seized up . I had to stop and give it an almighty stretch , which helped for about 30 seconds.

njee20
    Free Member

OP: Read the course – you can see them coming, leave a gap so you can go around if they falter. If someone’s right on your tail, give em a little brake check too! Easy way to get a few bike lengths!

gee
    Free Member

Not sure where that would be – I rode a couple of laps today and there didn’t seem to be anything tricky?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Race is a race you just deal with whats out there not moan about it.God is that what its come too now!!!!!!!!!.Did it for 16 years just got on with it.

dobo
    Free Member

i signed up to open today about 3 mins before the start and started behind everyone so was expecting a nightmare, you just have to suck it up an accept some people are just not going to read the trails or change down, some seemingly dont even treat it as a race. i got proper held up on one of the climbs as people just rode straight into the back of people stalling and was waiting patiently at the bottom until they cleared and then ran past them all whilst they were all remounting to their shock lol.

That was not a bad course for issues! some of the courses have hardly any decent overtaking opportunity or have severe bottlenecks. even the climbs elevation wernt bad apart from that short slipy clay climb which i just decided to run up every time.

What did get on my wick was people riding against the race with dogs in tow!! head on accident waiting to happen

Northwind

Is this not an intrinsic and essential part of all XC events with large entries? That, and descents placed just so that people can overtake you on a fireroad then get off and walk down the middle of the trail as soon as there’s a root or rock?

rbrstr
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

If someone’s right on your tail, give em a little brake check too! Easy way to get a few bike lengths!

easy way to lose your rear derailleur too 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, have to be bloody unlucky I’d say!

Metasequoia

“If someone’s right on your tail, give em a little brake check too! Easy way to get a few bike lengths!”

Maybe, but surely they will just catch up again, then pass, as they are on your wheel because they are going faster!

rOcKeTdOg

. Perhaps they need a “chicken route”, something quite a bit longer but with less of a severe climb

mince by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘XC races….why do they….’ is closed to new replies.