• This topic has 39 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • xc racers – what bike/spec are you currently using?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Me, 2009 giant anthem x1 with upgraded wheels (stans a2z)

You?

njee20
    Free Member

2011 Top Fuel 9.9, 1×10 XTR and Stans/A2Z wheels.

radoggair
    Free Member

2010 spesh carbon stumpy – 2×10 xtr and stans/alpine wheels

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andypaul99
    Free Member

2010 spesh Epic carbon with full xtr and pro 3’s on stans rims (dry use only!)

cp

On one scandal 26er, xt, 2×9, xt/stans Olympic, racing Ralph’s, with tubes, rs recon sl, xt 785 brakes.

Janesy
    Free Member

On One C456
    120mm RS Sids
    1×10 XT
    ZTR Apline/American classic hubs.
    Continental X-Kings

DT78
    Free Member

More full sussers than I expected, and no 29 ers?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I race some XC but wouldn’t class myself as an XC racer.

Anyhow

Kinesis FF29
    2×10 XT
    Crests on Hope Pro Evo’s
    Reba RL’s

maxtorque

08 Marin Indian Fire Trail, XTR & carbon everything possible + Mavic SLR/Furious Fred combo, sub 10kg, goes alright 😉

pjm84
    Free Member

I race some XC but wouldn’t class myself as an XC racer

+1

29er Radon HT with Stans Arch / Hope and Thomson collars and cuffs
    Scalpel 3 29er (When it arrives)

Janesy
    Free Member

The thread asked for. What bikes do xc racers ride. So…. If your ‘not’ a racer then perhaps Don’t post.

/andypaul99 – are you having a laugh!.? That’s the lame’est thing I’ve ever heard!
    Not much riding this year? More ££ than sense.

donsimon
    Free Member

Not much riding this year? More ££ than sense.

Or lives abroad?

Orbea Alma dripping with aftermarket carbon bits, but otherwise stock X.0.

darrell
    Free Member

Cannondale Flash Carbon 1 – stock off the shelf
    with furious freds

weeble
    Free Member

2003 On One Tinbred (the original one) with 3×9 XTR, Avid Ultimate brakes, Fox RLC forks, American Classic tubeless wheels and 2010 Trek Top Fuel with practically the same build as the one one. Also got an 853 rigid Inbred for when it gets mucky. Mainly used for Enduros and 24 hour solos

Janesy
    Free Member

What do people think of Furious Fred’s? Any punctures rips? And what’s the grip like?

gee
    Free Member

Freds are pretty much see-through. They are amazing on hardback trails with no rocks – the acceleration out of corners and when you pull onto a fire road is phenomenal. They take a bit of getting used to in the corners.

I mainly race on a 650b Salsa Ala Carte ti.

GB

footflaps

FFs are fine for dry-courses non-rocky, ridiculously fast mind.

Eg Raced on them at Mayhem in the dry years…

Moi by brf, on Flickr

njee20
    Free Member

Freds are pretty much see-through. They are amazing on hardback trails with no rocks – the acceleration out of corners and when you pull onto a fire road is phenomenal. They take a bit of getting used to in the corners.

+1

I use one on the back on loamy trails (Swinley/Surrey Hills type stuff) in the dry, but there’s only a few places I’d put one on the front (Sherwood, Thetford, Catton, Eastnor). Once someone’s sneezed on the course you’re best changing them.

Good to have as an all out race tyre, but they’re quite a handful, the reduction in brake power is one of the things I always notice, you start locking up a lot more!

schmiken

Scott Scale 26er, full XTR/X0 mix, Reba WC and DT 240s on Olympics.

large418
    Free Member

2002 Stumpy hardtail with Roval control wheels, DT Swiss forks and xtr drivetrain and carbon bits. Around 9kg.
    It’s a great fun bike and quite quick

will
    Free Member

Giant XTC 1 29er 2010 frame
    SID’s
    1×9

Love it.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

2011 Turner Flux,XTR 1×10,Hopes on Stans 355,light and fast and fairly crash resistant too!
    Thanx Max

oldgit
    Free Member

Race an old 2004 generic alloy frame with 2004 XT and SIDs, some (posh in their day) low spoke count Alexa wheels with RRs. Looks like yer dads bike.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Old Saracen carbon killi flyer frame
    Pace forks
    1×10 sram xx and some podium rims
    1.8 rocket Ron
    Stunning quick but those tyres can be lethal

quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    Carbon on one Whippet
    xt set up
    ztr on stans
    Rocket rons
    2 by 10

xcneil
    Free Member

Whyte 29C, SR Suntour epicon forks, full XTR 2×10 groupeto, stans arc ex rims sapim spokes stans hubs, Schwalbe tyres, Ritchey finishing kit

iomnigel
    Free Member

Niner air9 carbon frame & fork, xtr, crest rims, db aero lite spokes, xtr hubs, ikons. Ritchey wcs bars, stem & pin.

baccodaddy
    Free Member

Cannondale carbon flash 29er full x.o and ztr crest wheels and most importantly bright yellow shoes

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

BMC Teamelite carbon frame.
    XT 2 x9 drive train and brakes.
    Reba forks
    Mavic SLR’s with ust racing ralphs.
    Easton EC70 bars, stem and seatpost.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

This is holding up well and getting me in the top ten.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Trek elite 9.9 2011, XT bits from 2011, Rockshox Reba, 2010, American Classic wheels, tubeless with Geax tires

xcwanabe
    Free Member

2011 Epic Marathon,
    Roval Wheels
    Fast track Rear
    Captain Front
    XT 2X9 mongrel set up

12hr solo and local XC.

wiltsrider
    Free Member

@xcneil

Whyte 29C, SR Suntour epicon forks, full XTR 2×10 groupeto, stans arc ex rims sapim spokes stans hubs, Schwalbe tyres, Ritchey finishing kit

How are you getting on with the 29c? Its on my ‘want’ list, but have never been able to get a test ride, or in fact seen another one out on the trails – any info would be great. Cheers

WR

xcneil
    Free Member

Hi wiltsrider

It’s a great bike I especially like the head angle it’s very confident expiring on techy descents and flat bars suit it well. The seat stays look great as does the super chunky bb area, zero flex it’s a great xc/marathon race bike as It just feels more relaxed to other makes I’ve had in the past. I raced the 19c last season and had that for a while so as you can see I’m a fan !

coopersport1
    Free Member

Scott Scale 29er Pro 1×10 XTR, Pro2 Crests, Fox F29 Kash Terralogic forks. Mono Min Pro. Rocket Ron F RR R.

Furious Freds are great in the dry, I rememebr seeing one of the Salsa guys at SITS last year come in off one of the wetter laps with them on front and rear! Hardcore! Same bike for XC and 24hr racing 😆

gee
    Free Member

That was Phil – it was bone dry when he went out for his first lap, the. It pissed it down at the start of his second…. Knowing which tyres he had fitted we were laughing a lot when he came back from his second lap! No clogging problems though 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

Have raced this (scandium sobo)

and gunna race on it again after a crap season of road racing

njee20
    Free Member

Aah that was funny! I think that was my fault for telling Phil if it didn’t rain on me he’d be fine!

wiltsrider
    Free Member

Cheers xcneil. I think you just reinforced what I thought…think maybe its too late to find one now though – roll on the 2013 model! 🙂

gee
    Free Member

I think the biggest improvement I’ve made in recent years are forks that don’t steer like a wet noodle and 2.25″ tyres. So much more grip and with the lower pressures you can really cane it on the downs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘xc racers – what bike/spec are you currently using?’ is closed to new replies.