Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • xc racers – chain guides?
  • Kryton57

Which ones best for 1×11, no front mech mounts?

Lightweight of course…

tomhoward

None. Using SRAM 1×11 with a clutch mech and NW chainring, I’ve not dropped a chain in over 3 years. Riding xc, enduro and DH (6 weeks in whistler)

cp

As above, none.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ferrals
    Free Member

Agreed there is no need. Check chain and tooth wear. Also check clutch tension. What mech? Have had an xt clutch fail before causing a race with a couple of chain drops. After that I bought a chain guide but never fitted it and never had a problem since.

onandon
    Free Member

If you just use one I can reccomend K-edge, however they are super easy to make.

njee20
    Free Member

+another for none

Kryton57

I have a new Works Components NW 32 oval on RF Cinch – nothing loose. Mech is SRAM X1. The chain dropped twice on 2 different short bumpy downhills on Saturdays race. It never dropped before on the original RF round. Ive not raced much on this bike – maybe 500k – could the chain be worn?

Ive ordered a lightweight upper only from xcracer as a precaution.

slackman99
    Free Member

500,000 miles is a lot on a chain and ring!

welshfarmer

2 inches of alcathyne pipe cable tied to the chainstay works for me 🙂

schmiken

I use an E13 EType one, very light and seems to work well.

fifeandy
    Free Member

500km is enough to wear a chain – especially if its been used a few times in nasty conditions. Personally i wouldn’t run a guide – seems a great way to add drivetrain inefficiency

padkinson
    Free Member

Guide is a must for me even on new n/w rings, for peace of mind more than anything else. I’ve got a CSixx one, which is pretty light and really solid. Shift Up ones look pretty good too.

Kryton57

seems a great way to add drivetrain inefficiency

The one ive picked doesnt have a a bottom rail it just sits near the back -top of the chainring amd stops the chain moving either side.

Northwind

fifeandy – Member

Personally i wouldn’t run a guide – seems a great way to add drivetrain inefficiency

You can get guides that don’t. The little Oneup/Shovel guides are fab, they don’t contact the chain at all normally. And they weigh very little. But most XC bikes don’t have iscg tabs which rules out some of the best options.

Wouldn’t bother myself on the XC bike but it’s been a good addition for the big bike, 100% guarantee basically.

Kryton57

I’m wondering whether my clutch has gone / loosened. Its a type 2.1 so I can adjust it I don’t think, but its noticeably easier – like hardly much effort at all – to push it foreward with my fingers compared to my XT on the other bike which requires some effort.

Edit: some googling seems to reveal I’m not the only one who’s X1 2.1 clutch is less effective with age. It can’t be adjust as SRAM inserted a Pin to keep it at factory tension an avoid fettling. At £130 for a new mech I’ll stick with the £20 chain device and see if that works for a bit I think. Its the V2 here: http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=370

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

OneUp. For the sake of the 30g it weighs, I’d rather have something.

Regularly drop chains with no guides, even worse on a hardtail as the bike is bouncing about al over the place. The amount of times I lost a chain without a guide just got boring.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘xc racers – chain guides?’ is closed to new replies.