• This topic has 30 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benji.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • XC race tyres
  • padkinson
    Free Member

Having gone from a quite soft feeling frame (Canyon Grand Canyon) to an all out speed machine stiff thing (Niner Air 9), I’m left wanting a little more give in the tyres than the 2.0 Fast Traks that are on there at the moment.

So what’s hot in the world of light, fast, but not too lethally slick tyres?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Racing Ralph 2.25’s will be on my race bike this year.

Light, strong, (so far), and good grip.

Also like the Geax, now Vittora tyres for racing

padkinson
    Free Member

Hmm, I quite like the tread pattern on RR, but I really don’t get on with the casing. I used to run them, but kept ripping the sidewalls (destroyed 4 tyres in one weekend at the 2013 national champs!).
    The Snakeskin ones seem to last a lot better but they’re a bit weighty for race tyres.

Kryton57

I’ve said this several times now – look at the “Performance” Ralph. They are half the price, have a thicker sidewall and now are dual compound so grip AND last well. Almost the same weights as well. Forget the reviews of the old ORC single compound version which were rubbish.

Currently running performance Ron/Ralph 29″ combo and getting on with them well, I’ll move a Ralph onto the front when it gets dusty.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-racing-ralph-performance-dual-compound-fold-tyre/ £20, 67tpi 535g

schmiken

The Snakeskin ones are only 50g a tyre heavier (as actually weighed by me). I don’t call that heavy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ikons or Ardent Race in Exo (Aspen comes up small)

njee20
    Free Member

Just fitted some Thunder Burts ahead of Sherwood. Far more grip than they deserve to have!

shortyj15

mate had a thunderburt on the rear round degla and cannock and it was awesome.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have just switched to Thunderburts on the back – first time on the Burts so looking forward to riding them.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m really impressed so far – they struggle a bit if you suddenly hit some deep loam or mud, but I was very impressed on hard pack. I thought they’d be very squirrelly under braking, but didn’t seem it.

mashiehood
    Free Member

When I get the chance I will post a picture of the burts and rons on super wide rims – they look odd!

wiggles
    Free Member

2.2 fast traks

padkinson
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I didn’t realize how light the snakeskin Thunder Burts were compared to the SS Rons/Ralphs I’ve had. I may well go for them then…

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a 2.25 Burt SnakeSkin now too I believe.

DanW
    Free Member

Interesting thread, I have been thinking ahead to some drier weather tyres too…

Racing Ralph 2.25’s will be on my race bike this year.

Light, strong, (so far), and good grip.

Ralphs are hard to beat in almost all areas except their durability. I find them perfect until something innocuous tears them to pieces around the tread area. They are also the only tyres (with Rons) that I’ve ever managed to blow off a rim. The carcass and beads are just too flimsy on Schwalbe tyres for my liking although they are cracking tyres while they work.

Fairly weighty though at 580g with the 2.1 at 545g. They feel awesome to ride as the Burts are so supple but I seem to remember a study putting them as only 3W more efficient than a Ralph which has better grip in a wider variety of conditions. Snakeskin barely added any puncture resistance in the tests too although I forget exactly how the tests were conducted and how relevant they are in the real world. Unless the Schwalbe manufacturing has changed I don’t find snakeskin an advantage as it is always the tread area that cuts for me 🙁

From a weightweenie point of view 600g seems around the benchmark for a reliable, fast XC tyre.

Other tyres I’ve thought about:

Conti Race King 2.2 – Ralph light, same rolling resistance as Burts supposedly but I can’t see them being that durable and am not so convinced by the lack of cornering tread/ bite

Geax- Unsure what looks and sounds best though as there aren’t many reviews

Also worth a look are Bontrager XR2’s which are very grippy, fast, supple… but crucially with a great carcass too. I managed to find a pair that averaged 605g last year but the ones I just bought were over 680g 👿 I’ve kept one to use with an XR3 on a second set of wheels for rougher rides but that isn’t an ideal race combo

I’ve been tempted to give the Vredestein black panther 2.2 a go for a while now, maybe with an xtrac up front????

Kryton57

Fairly weighty though at 580g with the 2.1 at 545g. They feel awesome to ride as the Burts are so supple but I seem to remember a study putting them as only 3W more efficient than a Ralph which has better grip in a wider variety of conditions. Snakeskin barely added any puncture resistance in the tests too although I forget exactly how the tests were conducted and how relevant they are in the real world. Unless the Schwalbe manufacturing has changed I don’t find snakeskin an advantage as it is always the tread area that cuts for me

It’s almost like I’m invisible. So how about a 67tpi ralph at 535g’s for £20. Ah well, all the more for me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ohhhh good stuff, not available yet though?

gee
    Free Member

Yep, the 2.25 Burts are available.

njee20
    Free Member

Fairly weighty though at 580g with the 2.1 at 545g

My 2.1 (non-SS) Burts were 431g and 450g, so it is quite a penalty still going for SS.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I went for the Raceguard versions.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

SS 2.25 burt on a scale, from a german forum

bm0p700f
    Free Member

If you suple try dugast fast bird tubulars. geax saguro tyres are pretty good. I have the tubular version worth trying in clincher form i think.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got Clement XC-LXV 2.1s on my air9carbon running them tubeless. They seem quite a nice progressive tyre.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Humour me, what’s a progressive tyre?

aP
    Free Member

🙄 not super, super grippy, not grabby, you can feel when it’s starting to go, but doesn’t give too quick.

krixmeister

Had some positive experiences with S-Works Fast-Track and Renegade – light tires, reasonable traction (in the dry) but found the sidewalls weak. Have gone back to my answer for every “what tire” question – Small Block 8’s.

DanW
    Free Member

It’s almost like I’m invisible. So how about a 67tpi ralph at 535g’s for £20. Ah well, all the more for me.

They are cheap, but the new compound still isn’t up to the top tyres, they are nearer 600g (for a 2.25) compared to 535g for the top version, no more durable in reality than the lighter more expensive version IME (kind of like the snakeskin top end tyres don’t work too great for me), feel as stiff as a Beaver at the right pressure (that is to say not that comfortable but ok) and are hit or miss tubeless. Apart from that they are great and I don’t mean that flippantly. The Performance Ralphs are a good tyre but they aren’t that great and I’m happy to pay an extra £5-10, probably through a German store, for a better option.

Have gone back to my answer for every “what tire” question – Small Block 8’s

SB8’s are a bit like Ikons in that they look fast but whenever there are tests they always do really poorly for rolling resistance, even compared to much nobblier tyres… they do have other good attributes though so I can see why both are popular

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have always used Ikons successfully.
    Usually have a Ron on the front to add a bit of turning grip.
    Both 2.2 and both weighing about 530 grams in 29.
    Both the lightest versions with no snakeskin or exo casings.
    Nice volume and comfy on the hardtail.
    Thanks,
    Max

bigbloke
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikons imo, more grip than they look to have, even the standard folding version was fine. 2.2 at 565gm for 29er. Wore well too.

padkinson
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Now I think of it, all of the Schwalbes that I have **** have gone on the tread. Good tyres in every other aspect.

It seems that the harshness that I felt last Sunday was more from my forks developing a sticky platform at the top of the stroke, meaning they just wouldn’t move on anything small, rather than narrow tyres.

So the forks are off to Sussed Out and the 2.0 Fast Traks are staying on.

benji
    Free Member

Fantastic news, didn’t know there was a 2.25 burt, now I need one 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘XC race tyres’ is closed to new replies.