Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • XC race training, seeking advice
  • Stevie-P
    Free Member

After a fun season last year racing in regionals and nationals I’m planning some training ready for next season. I’ve read Joe Friel’s MTB Training Bible but I’m hearing that the typical base training through winter (loads of easy miles) is becoming a bit out dated.

I understand the basic principles of overloading and recovering through a series of 4-week blocks, getting harder each week until a 4th easy week, but I don’t really know what sorts of intensities I should be training at leading up to my first race.

Are Joe’s methods out-dated? If so, what is considered a good approach now?

First race is 1st weekend in March (or should be, race dates pending).

Last year I placed about 3 quarters through the pack in Sport category in nationals and a bit higher in regionals so plenty of room for improvement.

I’ve done my FTP tests (3.4 w/kg) and have power zones and HR zones ready. I just don’t know what to do with them.

Any advice greatly received and I understand that we are all different so there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to this.

Sancho
    Free Member

I have worked with a number of XC national champions and the key is to get a road bike, and get with a group that are your level or better, to then train with them on the road and do some mountainbiking on the side.

This has worked for the people I know and they have won national and european xc titles.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m more or less in the same position as you. So no decent advice to give but interested in responses!

I’m going to be using trainerroad, but as I’m racing cross till christmas my see will be just jan and February, building march, and then racing.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

I have a road bike but my schedule is quite sporadic so training alone is more likely to happen for me unfortunately.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m hearing that the typical base training through winter (loads of easy miles) is becoming a bit out dated.

first off i’m no expert.

I’d say it’s not outdated, look at pros and that’s what they will do, they’ll be riding 40 hours a week+ whilst your at work. so unless you’re fulltime you need to do something different.

you need to get a similar (ish) training stress score in less time, so more intensity. thats where intervals come in.

lightman
    Free Member

As long as you remember its about quality, not quantity, then you should be good.
    Joes book should be fine for you, but don’t let that stop you searching the web and reading about what others do.
    10-15 quality hours a week should be all you need.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d say it’s not outdated, look at pros and that’s what they will do, they’ll be riding 40 hours a week+ whilst your at work. so unless you’re fulltime you need to do something different.

Agree it’s not outdated. But keep in mind you are not a pro who’s going to be riding 3 week stage races! You’ll likely be riding a relatively small number of short high intensity events with decent recovery time in between.

Kryton57

I have worked with a number of XC national champions and the key is to get a road bike, and get with a group that are your level or better, to then train with them on the road and do some mountainbiking on the side.

He is right of course. Road biking will give you a massive aerobic boost, and teach you how to pedal in circles for max efficiency.

Google “XC intervals” on the turbo or simulated outside. Its going to be now-end December with 8 building to 20 mins at just about 85% to 95% FTP (called Sweet spot training) with a long endurance ride at the weekend, then 1st Jan to March doing 3 to 4 hour long sessions a week with sprints at 10, 20, 30 seconds and the remaining intervals at FTP, and/or repeat 5s sprints in the interval and also hour long sessions with longer over FTP 1, 3 5 mins at 125% for example.

Or get a turbo and join TrainerRoad for £60, which gives me that plan(s) on a laptop sync with me/my turbo.

See here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trainerroad-stw-approved-sessions

Stevie-P
    Free Member

I’ve just had a look at TrainerRoad, it does look really good with plenty of relevant plans. It doesn’t look like you can upload rides done outside to it though? If I could do that then it would be a winner as I don’t want to be stuck doing 1.5hr rides on the turbo when I can be outside.

Any merit in using TrainerRoad just for the plans and doing those workouts outside and logging to Training Peaks? Or is that missing the whole point a bit…

Kryton57

No – its quite simple to memorise a plan.

For example, you know your FTP. So if TR says you need 4 x 10mins at FTP, just display power (or use HR which is less accurate) on a Garmin to simulate outside.

The issue with outside is that variety in terrain make that sort of thing more difficult.

Or just build it into your ride day. For example, I have 5 x 10 mins at 95% FTP to do this weekend. Yet I’m going for a 120k club ride, so I shall make sure I do enough turns on the front (or keeping up at the back) at this power level to simulate, or simulate that power level on a climb.

Sancho
    Free Member

From a personal point of view, I need people around me to push me.

I am not a total lazy arse, but I find I am at my best when training with others, be that on the road, sessioning DH, or a turbo session, I went to a number of turbo group sessions that Tom Barras had deviesd to replicate a crit, and after three sessions, I could feel the difference, but those turbo sessions were tough, but as part of a group and with some encouragement I put more effort in than I could have done alone against a computer.
    It also helped having Brit Tate alongside me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

From a personal point of view, I need people around me to push me.

I pretty much always train alone. But then I do have a coach who gives me rides to do and looks at my data. This does get me out on the bike when if left to my own devices I might not bother. I also usually ride with a power meter with power targets to hit which helps stop me from slacking off.

I understand the basic principles of overloading and recovering through a series of 4-week blocks, getting harder each week until a 4th easy week, but I don’t really know what sorts of intensities I should be training at leading up to my first race.

Usual advice is to do longer less intense riding at the beginning of your off season (sweetspot stuff Kryton mentions is quite popular these days if you’ve not got the time, there’s a good 3×20 called Galena on TrainerRoad for example.) Then closer you get to racing the more race like you make your training (so in the case of short course XC you’d start ramping up the intensity and shortening the duration.)

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I’ve signed up to TrainerRoad and will start with their Sweetspot Base and go from there. Some of my training will be outside but at least I have the plan to work to.

Cheers!

ferrals
    Free Member

If you use strava, you can synch your trainerroad sessions to that to get a picture of your weekly in and outdoor training in one place

soulrider
    Free Member

I ride my bike
    ALOT
    sometimes road
    sometimes MTB
    Sometimes I even get my DH bike out – though this has happen threee times in 2.5 years as I live in Lincolnshire now (one of the times was 2 weeks ago)
    this probably isnt helping
    what is worse I am a middle of the pack XC vet rider
    who does better at 12/24 hour events.
    good look with it

Kryton57

And if you use Garmin Connect you can connect THAT to the free Training peaks sub to get an look at your overall TSS.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Thanks, Kryton, that’s useful as I already use TP.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just dont become a turbo trainer zombie…..

its easy to spot them at the first race of the season.

they are the ones that look like passengers rather than riders at the first downhill………

remember handling skills in varying conditions are as important as fitness….. they dont postpone races because its a bit wet.

turbo is a useful addition but its no substitute for off road bike time.

rsvktm

Trail rat has it spot on re not forgetting to ride a bike. I use the turbo and road bike for fitness and strength in winter but make sure I get plenty of mtb hours in, don’t have to ‘worry’ about training then. It’s meant to be fun as well.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Yep very valid points. Don’t worry about that, I love the trails too much to lose focus on them!

rp16v
    Free Member

Im in the same situation as you I do about 3 events normally but next year I plan on doing some southern and s/w races on top of 4-8-12h so using my commutes to gain a bit more muscle I have locked in the stop screws so 1st gear is 25t but can open it out for high cadence/hr I avrg around 110rpm over 12 miles
    Doing about 25miles x5days 3hrs off rd and maby another 3 if I get the chance and the odd away day.
    My problems….junk food its a very big addiction for me to try and kick and I no this will help me more.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Seriously, lose the junk food and you will notice a huge difference. I try to eat ‘clean’ most days and it’s crucial for me in terms of managing my energy levels and recovery. At 37 I’m not old by any stretch but recovery does need a bit more thought as I train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 3-4 times a week and lift weights alongside my riding as well. Drinking plenty of water and eating the right foods can mean the difference in hitting my training targets and not.

Last week I did the dirty and ordered a takeaway and I felt it for the rest of the week and even skipped a martial arts class due to low mood. But that’s just me and everyone is different.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Word of warning, having spent a good 4-5 years of my life training every day for XC racing, I noticed as soon as I got a road bike and started taking training serious I stopped enjoying it and didn’t perform quite as well.

benji
    Free Member

Race cyclocross, it’s a great workout and keeps your bike handling sharp, especially if you race it on a cross bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious warning Steve. If you spent 4 to 5 years training every day for XC racing I’d say that was taking it pretty seriously already! Is it the transition from just doing a lot of whatever you fancy to following some training plan that stopped it being fun? Easy enough to resolve, just have a bit of flexibility in the plan. Is endless miles of z2 on the road bike that stopped it being fun? Mix them up a bit with xc rides, do different sessions on the road.

Interesting that you didn’t perform as well either. Too much road at the wrong time of the season? Lack of specificity?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘XC race training, seeking advice’ is closed to new replies.