Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Xc race bike. Carbon or short travel forks?
  • wors

As title really.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Why not both?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Both in an ideal world. I currently run an alloy frame with 100mm forks.

wors

I'm not made of money!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Actually – I think I misunderstood – was the choice between crabon rigid and short travel? I'd go short travel.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's cheaper to save weight on forks than it is on a frame. Carbon frames will save 1/2lb (ish- sometimes more) while a swap from something like a Rev to a SID will save a little more than that and cost less.

oldgit
    Free Member

Short travel. I assume you meant rigid by carbon? With courses getting more technical you'll find yourself blatting over all sorts of stuff. There's always poploc and the like.

wors

Yeah carbon rigid, got an old frame that is designed for 80mm travel. Thinking about building it into a budget lightish mile muncher.

njee20
    Free Member

Suspension fork every time. There are very few courses where the weight saved on a rigid fork would be worth the time you'd lose on the descents IMO.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Depends where you're racing. I've used both and trails like Thetford, Drumlanrig etc are great for rigids. Suspension is a benefit for most trails though.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, Thetford is one of 'the few' I was thinking of. Not sure Drumlanrig would be quicker rigid myself, it'll depend a lot on the rider I guess.

cp

thetford, sherwood are two places where a rigid fork might be good… but I don't see the point in buying one of those if you already have a short travel race fork… as most can be locked out, it wont be worth the £150 on another fork…

so… sus fork with lock out 🙂

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Having spent the last 6 months riding with a rigid fork, I have given in and bought a suspension fork. On some trails (that I knew well i.e. Red at GT) the rigid fork was just amazing and was great for climbing, but on tricky decents where rocks and roots are coming at you fast you can get caught out, and it was only a matter of time before I was going to have a big crash.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I recently used a carbon rigid for a couple of races and a self timed lap around Dalby red. Dalby was faster with suspension and i should have been quicker/fitter when i used the rigid . Not scientific but i am sure i held back on the downs and never noticed being faster uphill with them.
    HTH

njee20
    Free Member

I never even bother to lock my forks out, it depends a lot on your riding style, I'm generally more in the saddle, so I think a rigid fork would actually kill me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Xc race bike. Carbon or short travel forks?’ is closed to new replies.