Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • XC gone mad?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Might be watching this as well as the DH this year I think!

molgrips
    Free Member

That Scott rider looks like he has the right line, on the extreme left.

wrecker
    Free Member

The photo looks weird to me. Has it been played with?
    Looks different here.

njee20
    Free Member

Fisheye lens innit.

shortyj15

Looks easier that section from this angle.

ben98
    Free Member

That Scott rider looks like he has the right line, on the extreme left.

That Scott rider!?! 🙄

5thElefant
    Free Member

That Scott rider!?!

Nobody recognises mountainbikers do they? Particularly from that angle.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s quite a famous shot of multiple World Cup winner, World Championship winner and Olympic silver medallist Nino Schurter, but if you didn’t know that then you’d be forgiven for not being to recognise him frankly.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Famous?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Who?

jimification
    Free Member

I remember Frischknecht describing his test ride around that course to Warner a couple of years ago and saying that he nearly wet himself when he got to that bit.

Same course:

taxi25
    Free Member

I know of Shurter but wouldn’t recognise him in the street. I don’t think outside of the sport any mtb riders are famous.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m crap at recognising sportspeople who are on telly all the time, never mind these guys!

matt_outandabout

All typical riding it seems.
    Some of the Cathkin course at the Commonwealth would put many a rider off. Some was also glorified BMX track / 4x.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oevuh8]Commonwealth Games Mountain Biking Glasgow 2014[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ovNZm2]Commonwealth Games Mountain Biking Glasgow 2014[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oezkZB]Emily Batty[/url] by matt_outandabout, on

Even some of the less confident were well up for giving it a go…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ow49mE]Commonwealth Games Mountain Biking Glasgow 2014[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

njee20
    Free Member

Famous?

Yeah, it means “popular, or otherwise noteworthy” – a lot of folk who know about that stuff will know if you said “that photo of Schurter riding down the logs at Pietermaritzburg” – notable in part for the fact he’s leaning right forward, which is somewhat counter intuitive.

Rider video from the same course:

[video]https://youtu.be/PP163I0puCk[/video]

mtbcoach
    Free Member

Love me some proper XC photos. Pinkbike has been doing a great job in the last couple of years of improving the quality of reporting, getting some interesting photos and beginning to make people realise the skills involved.

I remember watching the Albstadt world cup last year on Red Bull. There’s a shot of Schurter and Absalon climbing up the switchbacks. The camera angle made it look pan-flat, and like they were crawling along. It wasn’t until you looked over at the spectators crawling on their hands and knees up the same slope that you realised how steep it was. XC is never going to look particularly good on camera, but we just have to live with that, and enjoy the amazing photos that do occasionally get captured that really reflect how fun and challenging some new courses are.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I know what famous means and I would suggest that out with MTB geeks not many are aware of it.

njee20
    Free Member

I totally agree, I thought it was implicit, given the topic of conversation that I meant “within the context of people who know about XC racing”. Apologies for not being entirely explicit.

It’s a thread about XC racing on a bike forum. I wouldn’t assume that your man on the street knows the difference between a SID and a Fox 40 without decals, but you don’t have to spell that out either.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

This is a bike forum?

mtbel
    Free Member

notable in part for the fact he’s leaning right forward

look properly.
    “fact” is he is not leaning right forwards at all.
    His weight is centred.
    Exactly where your weight should be riding 5 or 6 straightforward steps with a nice smooth easy run out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That vid nee posted looks like a great CX’er course, except the rock garden.. you can get rid of that. 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lovely scenery, there.

njee20
    Free Member

look properly.
    “fact” is he is not leaning right forwards at all.
    His weight is centred.
    Exactly where your weight should be riding 5 or 6 straightforward steps with a nice smooth easy run out.

Surprised it took you that long to arrive Gary. Remind us all where you finished in the Pietermaritzburg World Cup?

You’re right, I was over simplifying, my point is that most people lean right back, Schurter most certainly isn’t – see Wrecker’s photo taken in exctly the same place.

Rorschach
    Free Member

3/10.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    3/10.

Harsh. Very harsh. I’d say at least a 9!

😈

mtbel
    Free Member

You’re right

I know. I always am.

no need to backpedal, just learn from your mistakes and move on.

mtbel
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    3/10.

strokes? 😯

matt_outandabout

*nods at cfh*

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Did SimonFBarnes take that pic Flashy?
    Looks like one of his trademark shots..

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

njee20 – you are a funny. I think you need a little hug, and maybe a biscuit.

njee20
    Free Member

Am I? I have low moron tolerance, and I think GW is a waste of bandwidth, that’s all. I’m quite a cheery person IRL.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Few pics of what they planning for the next Nat XC race Newnham, Devon.
    Always a good course down there!

medoramas
    Free Member

Few pics of what they planning for the next Nat XC race Newnham, Devon.
    Always a good course down there!

I wonder if they’re gonna keep these features for the Bont 24-7 😆

njee20
    Free Member

That really would be interesting!

Stevet1
    Free Member

loving me some professional looking graphics on that link

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Surely the best XCO track preview video ever…

Claudio vs Jose, Hafjell World Champs

grenosteve
    Free Member

Where the hell is his front tyre????

njee20
    Free Member

Err yes, it appears not to be installed on the rim.

BigDummy
    Free Member

There’s something a bit odd going on with his glasses as well. Is that picture legit?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’m guessing it a Dugast Pipistrello in white, but there seems to be some black in there too which is a little confusing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘XC gone mad?’ is closed to new replies.