Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Xc front tyre
  • scuff321
    Free Member

Looking for new front tyre for 29er xc bike, using a rocket Ron evo 2.20 looking at going bigger 2.25 or 2.30 needs to be good on wet rock just so much choice out there got few in mind just want to seeing what other people are using.

orangespyderman

I’ll recommend what I have, in the true tradition of this place, and a lot of people here seem to vomit a little in their mouths when I say I run an Ardent/Ardent race up front, but look at the Maxxis ardent race for a fairly large section XC type front tyre with grip.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I like my Conti X King in 2.4 protection guise. Tough, good grip and rolls fairly well

Yak

Running a Barzo 2.25 up front right now. Quite similar to a Ron though so good enough most of the time.

crikey
    Free Member

good on wet rock

People have been asking this on here for years, occasionally with regard to wet roots as well; some parts of the world are a bit slippy, and you really need to understand this before riding a bike off road.

jonnyrockymountain

I’m a big fan of bontrager tyres and either the XR2 or XR3 both in either 2.2 or 2.35 widths, currently pedalon are selling at £30 each and that’s the top of range team issue versions

orangespyderman

I’m a big fan of bontrager tyres and either the XR2 or XR3 both in either 2.2 or 2.35 widths, currently pedalon are selling at £30 each and that’s the top of range team issue versions

The XR2 Expert (so not the team) aren’t great, in my experience.. put me off, though I have heard good things.

Northwind

crikey – Member

some parts of the world are a bit slippy, and you really need to understand this before riding a bike off road.

And once you understand this, you start looking for tyres that are good on wet rock, like the OP has wisely done.

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve got XR3/4 team issue combo, great set of tyres but the 3 will suffer in the wet.

scuff321
    Free Member

Haha I’m with the traditional ardent on the back on a trail bike, was looking at conti mountain king ll, so will look at X king but see if they do 2.30, like the look of the barzo never heard of it that’s why I did this thread. I run a bontrager on the rear
    Oh and crikey didn’t your mother ever tell you “if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all”

crikey
    Free Member

And once you understand this, you start looking for tyres that are good on wet rock, like the OP has wisely done

You’ll be quoting some coefficients of friction along with your choices then?

scuff321
    Free Member

Oh crikey mtb God of God’s what do you suggest please

crikey
    Free Member

As I said, some things in nature are really, really slippy. Wet rocks are one example, wet roots are another; you can’t get any grip on really slippy things, so the answer lies in riding to the conditions, making sure that you are not turning or braking on the really slippy things.

Some times, on some trails, turning or braking on the really slippy things is unavoidable, but you have to ride it out and use what we call ‘skills’ to avoid disaster.

Sometimes you can’t buy an answer.

Northwind

Crikey, are you seriously going to claim that all tyres are equally good/bad on wet rock? That’s just idiocy if so.

crikey
    Free Member

You’ll be the man with the answers then?

Northwind

I don’t know XC tyres, but your only “answer” seems to be just to be rude to people while spouting nonsense.

scuff321
    Free Member

Well I’m going to look at the barzo tnt and mountain king ll.
    And crikey you never said what you would use or do you still use the tyres that came with your Halford bike ?

scuff321
    Free Member

Northwind I don’t know xc tyres I ride downhill and endruo, bought a new toy last month and not liking the front tyre but can’t chuck on a magic Mary or shorty, that’s I posted this thread

Northwind

Sorry mate, that was at Crikey not you!

fifeandy
    Free Member

I wouldnt go with the mountain king 2 for wet rock, its a soft conditions tyre. 2.2 would be too narrow for you, and 2.4 has very widely spaced knobs with not much surface area. 2.4 xking or 2.2 trail king are going to be better options.

Not tried it, but the ardent race should in theory be a good option too, with lots of surface area and 3c compound.

mboy
    Free Member

looking at going bigger 2.25 or 2.30 needs to be good on wet rock just so much choice out there got few in mind just want to seeing what other people are using.

Check out the new Maxxis Forekaster

I’ve just taken delivery of these in my shop. Hottest property in XC/trail tyre world right now! Only available in 29er flavour for the moment, which will change I’m sure given time. If you’re interested, email is in my profile…

njee20
    Free Member

you can’t get any grip on really slippy things, so the answer lies in riding to the conditions, making sure that you are not turning or braking on the really slippy things.

You’re right, like ice. It’s why everyone uses slicks on ice. Oh, wait…

I’d avoid anything too aggressive for wet rock, you’re not going to get anything that bites into the surface anyway. I’d think about something like a 2.4″ Racing Ralph myself. Spesh Purgatorys have impressed me too, heavier, tougher tyre mind.

medoramas
    Free Member

What about a good old Crossmark 2.25″?

I started using the TR EXO versions recently. I’m not an aggressive rider, but after being able to ride up a very steep rocky climb just after rain, I realised they must be good for wet rocks! Previously trying to ride up the same wet climb on 2.1″ Aspen was never successful.

gelert
    Free Member

For me the two tyre compounds that are available on XC tyres (so I’m excluding SuperTacky and VertStar) and work best on wet things are Schwalbe TrailStar and Maxxis 3C as a poor second.

3C works great as a rear on wet things very well though.
    TrailStar works great both ends.
    Great to have TS up front, 3C out back though.

Continental (X King BC PT / MK2 BC PT) is totally useless on wet things. I’ve tried to my cost, both in injury and my pocket.

This is only my opinion based on my own local wet conditions going up and down wet technical rocky / rooty tracks in North Wales. I like to clear technical climbs in all conditions when I come to them.

I’m currently running Nobby Nic SnakeSkin TrailStar 2.35s both ends. They’re awesome in the wet.

I race a couple of fun XCs a year on my Orange Five with outdated wheels. It weighs 13kg all in so not an XC rig but it’s a blast.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Vittoria Barzo are very good as an all round XC / marathon tyre, good in mud, loam, forest trails and hardpack.

The Peyote is faster and the Mezcal (£30 a pair on the amnesty) are fasterer still, probably more like a Racing Ralph.

Clink

Amnesty?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Amnesty?

Vittoria are running a tyre Amnesty (there was a thread about it last week), however their marketing department have neglected to tell anybody, and their web based dealer locator says they have lots of dealers – just they all seem to be located in the realm of imagination.

celticdragon

I used to have a Conti X King on both front and rear, but found the X king skipped a lot when riding on cross cambers (like the central ridge on a 4×4 track) so now have a Mountain King on the front and the issues have gone away.

These tyres aren’t the protection version but are quite happy to be tubeless and seem to stand up well.

scuff321
    Free Member

Well I’ve ordered mountain king ll, bontrager xr4 and a barzo, took some shopping round but got good deals and all top spec, all with winter in mind, such an unbelievable amount of choice

martinhutch

I’m running Xr4 front Barzo rear – both OK, though the Barzo knobs have worn down a bit quicker than expected.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Xc front tyre’ is closed to new replies.