Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • XC Frames
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Am Looking at building an XC bike so best start with the frame. Preferrably Aluminiuym because I’m a weight weenie. Looking to spendabout £500 max.
    Any idea’s or recommendations let me know.
    So far my favourite is the Yeti Arc
    http://www.yetiarc.com/images/2008/09/05/yeti_arc_frame_with_box.jpg

jonb
    Free Member

On-one scandal and use the money saved to buy better components elsewhere?

The carbon version might be good option too.

I used to have a kinesis maxlight 2. If the current model is as good that’s worth a look.

mrmo
    Free Member

XC play or XC race? if your talking weight suggests the later?

might be worth looking at Kinesis.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I so love my Rock Lobster tig team sl, frame is 3.25lbs.
    Anyway, my rigid version is just under 20lbs, or I can quickly stick some fox forks on at 21/22lbs.

I was originally wanting the scandal, but the one I wanted (16″ slot dropout) never came up on classifieds/ebay, I kind of bought the RL by default and as is, I don’t see me parting with it for a few years. Also the On One carbon whippet might be worth looking at (shame about the decals), also as jonb, Kinesis do a real nice looking frame Maxlight.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Have a frame for sale that might fit your needs/price bracket. Drop me an email(in profile) and can send through some pics.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Whyte 19? You dont find many owners looking for another xc bike (inc me!). Actually to call it an xc bike is a bit limiting – you can tailor the geom / wheelbase a bit with the adjustable dropouts to favour short (race) to longer / slacker( &bigger rear tyres). My med frame weights 1.51 kg (3.3lbs) inc hs races and hangers.

btw – I’m not selling mine!

vdubber67
    Free Member

+1 for Kinesis. Love my xcpro2, and good value frames. XCpro3 out now.

Northwind

I’d go with a Scandal personally, don’t write it off just because it’s inexpensive.

pickle
    Free Member

On one whippet or scandel 😀

ian martin
    Free Member

I have a hardly used on-one scandal 18″ frame for sale if you want.
    Edinburgh based if you fancy coming round and having a look.
    The frame weighs about 1.5kg and I built it up with average kit (lx) and it weighed approx 23.5lbs.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Hi Ian if you have any images of the frame you could email me,
    Lewismorgan10@gmail.com
    would be great. I’m from Lincolnshire so a bit of a trek! Off Mountain Biking in aviemore soon so could always have the possibility of dropping in. Anyway If you could send us some images would be great!

njee20
    Free Member

eBay carbon special, or Whippet for my money.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Isn’t the Yeti ARC £700 now?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Yeti Arc is slightly pricey,
    Would risk it from JensonUsa at £500 delivered, risk of tax i know but,
    i live life on the edge!

barrykellett
    Free Member

Anthem X 2nd hand

Have only had two rides on mine so far but its pure class!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

After a hardtail preferrably 🙂
    On One Whippet is quite taking my fancy currently!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Yeti sure make a pretty bike, though i suppose turquoise and loopy chain/seat stays are a bit marmite.
    Kinesis great value for money.
    I’ve built up a couple of scandals for mates, and despite the on-one bashing encountered here, they are indeed silly light (weighed before built, 15-1600g depending on size and whether its slotty or normal dropouts) and I found them pretty well finished in terms of welds, tube shapes and anodising. Certainly on a par with kinesis if not quite as spangly as a boutique brand. BTW geometry/handling of scandal is the same as an inbred if you wanted to have a go on one, they are just lighter.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

The Yeti looks and aesthetics are probably winning me over more than the actually frame and its geometry!
    My worry with On One is the quality of the frames, Has anyone had any reliablity issues or anything with them? Although you seem relatively happy with them.
    The Carbon 456 looks like a great all round frame!

njee20
    Free Member

The Whippet is the race frame, if you want light why look at the 456?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

The whippet looks a bit more pure XC limited to only 100mm travel forks.
    The fact that the 456 offers a bit more versatility on the riding and is lightly to take a few more hits draws me towards it!

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I never had a problem with my steel inbred even handled small drops with no problem and loved the geometry for xc. Currently got a steel 456 it’s not light but fun.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’m just stuck between the 456 carbon and the whippet really.
    Do you think i could push 120mm travel out of the whippet frame?
    or will it start to struggle!

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Does say 120 MAX

warpcow
    Free Member

Same geo as the Inbred so it’ll be good with 120 (if you like that sort of thing). I’ve been going back and forth on buying a Whippet to replace my Inbred the last few months. The BB kind of puts me off though (and I haven’t quite justified the idea of changing yet either).

lewismorgan
    Free Member

i can feel my wallet opening this morning!

pinches
    Free Member

i’ve had my scandal since 07.

in at 9.51kg

lewismorgan
    Free Member

can you get an adapter so that these BB92 push fit bearings will work with my external Diabolus BB :D?

pickle
    Free Member

nice scandal! just about to order myself a nice new C456 and can’t wait fo her to arrive!! 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

Just a thought, don’t assume more is always better. The trend may be to run longer forks but you will find times when a little less travel works better. It does depend on how and where you ride.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Have just been looking at forks actually, got some Argyle 409’s on my 4X bike only 100mm but ride as smooth as a babys bum, and spin beautifully on my CK Rockshox have really impressed me !
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRERL/rockshox-reba-rl-dual-air-100mm-fork-with-poplock–26-inch
    that doesn’t seem a bad price either!

wwaswas

if you’re going for 100mm forks then I’d get the whippet.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Think i’m decided on the whippet now,more of a race tweaked XC frame

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Just slightly put off by its “weird” BB why not just use normal external cups?

mrmo
    Free Member

Bb92 should be a better system, better support for the bearings.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

hmmm im a big external fan

lewismorgan
    Free Member

do they work witha standard front derailleur?
    It says High Direct Mount
    is this just implying top swing?

avdave2

Be aware that the whippet is really designed for 2 x 10 set ups and not all all triple cranks will give adequate mud clearance.A few people have already damaged the frames running triples. The On One web site tells you which triples will work with it. It’s top of my list to buy to transfer all the parts from my Boardman onto. That will involve going to 1 x 9 and taking an angle grinder to my chainset though!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

stuck in two worlds between 456 and the whippet

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Isn’t there a slight problem in that both the whippet and the scandal out of stock?

sefton
    Free Member

YOU’LL NOT GO WRONG WITH A LOBSTER (VERY LIGHT TOO)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘XC Frames’ is closed to new replies.