Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XC / Enduro racing. It's been a few years, I have a few questions……
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

OK, so the last time I turned a pedal in anger was 10 years ago. Until then I’d done a lot of years of (regional) XC racing and some enduro racing (which I really enjoyed).

My first competitive ride is just 3 weeks away and I’m wondering several things.

What do people wear? When I raced last lycra was acceptable. But ten years have passed and I’ve not got slimmer. Do the fashion police now haunt the race scene? I don’t wear lycra when out general riding but always want to feel comfortable when racing.

Also I’m toying with getting a 29-er hardtail for enduro racing as my current bike (Patriot!) is a bit, er, like it’s owner (slow and lardy) for covering distance at speed. What are people riding?

I’m never going to threaten the leaderboards at these events – but I also want to be as good as I can.

I’m trying not to take racing seriously again – not in a competitive way. But I also want to enjoy the races, and enjoying means not just being totally useless due to equipment.

Does anyone on here race (or even ride a bike)?

redfordrider
    Free Member

Not much has changed in XC in the last decade. Lycra is still in. 29er HTs are starting to appear in greater numbers, but still plenty of people on 26 FS (Spesh Epic or Giant Anthems). No doubt there will be 650b bikes soon. Don’t see many dropper posts at races. Oh, lots of carbon about these days…and tubeless tyres.

An On-One Dirty Harry HT 29er could be a good place to start.

oldgit
    Free Member

Lycra is still the thread of choice.
    Bikes are pretty much the same. IME the hardtail still reigns supreme, though they’re a little more refined.

I’ve just built a bike to race on this year, and with bits I had it only cost £50. Race kit isn’t that desirable and therefore pretty cheap s/h.

ash

DrRSwank,
    the “Enduro” racing that you’re talking about is now called “Endurance” http://www.endurance-series.co.uk/

This is Enduro http://www.ukgravityenduro.com/

😉

Brownbacks
    Free Member

DrRSwank – Member
    What do people wear?

clothes, usually cycling orientated, mix of anything from lycra to baggies to old set of Ron Hills

Do the fashion police now haunt the race scene?

are you 13? are you insecure and need of acceptance? if nowear what you feel comfy in

. What are people riding?

bikes anything from a Decathlon Hybrid to an Ibis Mojo in the same category in the same race

I’m never going to threaten the leaderboards at these events – but I also want to be as good as I can.

OK but

I’m trying not to take racing seriously again – not in a competitive way.

think about your aims and the time you have to dedicate

But I also want to enjoy the races, and enjoying means not just being totally useless due to equipment.

the rider themselves will contribute 80% of the uselessness, the bike the 20%

Does anyone on here race (or even ride a bike)?

alledgedly 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the “Enduro” racing that you’re talking about is now called “Endurance” http://www.endurance-series.co.uk/

except at least one event isn’t a “race” (unless of course they gained permission to race on bridleways from HRH QE2)

but then an event the gives points based on a placing towards a competition surely is a race? Do their insurers know?

DWH
    Free Member

Nip along to XC Racer and have a look at a few of the videos and images if you want to update yourself about what an XC race looks like these days.

With respect to ‘Brownbacks’ above I haven’t seen any hybrids or Ron Hills in any of the Midlands XC series races so far this year – maybe it’s a Lancashire thing 😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

Im going to be attending races (not sure if I will be that competitive) on a Giant Trance X. it’s either that or a single speed for me.

hels
    Free Member

Enduro racers wear baggies, open face helmet and goggles. Some wear knee and elbow pads etc but even the DHers around my way would call you soft for that.

I think you mean XC marathon ? Lycra was still de riguer last time I looked, although I guess it depends if it is a race or more of an offroad sportif.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on that though, worry more about training, nutrition and what spares to carry !

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Enduro:Endurance – they were called Enduros back when I did them last (and still are according to the organisers……). I do mean long XC races.

I just wanted to make sure that turning up in lycra wasn’t going to traumatise any children or ladies – and it sounds like I, at least, won’t be the only one making eyes bleed.

Last enduro-ance style race I did was SITS back in 2003 so I am out of the habit somewhat. Not planning on much but I want to finish, and I want to feel I did my best – it’s a very personal target for this first event.

Thanks for the replies.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

With respect to ‘Brownbacks’ above I haven’t seen any hybrids or Ron Hills in any of the Midlands XC series races so far this year – maybe it’s a Lancashire thing

it’s an “inclusive” thing

we run a second (Have-a-go)course which is easier but gives a taste of the quarry, the lady on the Decathlon Hybrid fell off a number of times but soldiered on to the end. She was really determined, we were pleased that we had given her the opportunity to race, everyone was happy.

see what it is all about on our Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrownbacksRacing/featured

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I did my first ever XC race on an unbranded bike with plastic brakes and flexy cranks. I came last 🙂

I’m not so hung up on having winning equipment – just more wondered what people were actually riding. I appreciate my Patriot is probably going to look very out of place – but it’s the most sensible bike I own…..

njee20
    Free Member

IMO it’s not really changed in 10 years. I still wear the same kit as 10 years ago (not literally, although some of my jerseys are that old!).

Disc brakes are now standard, full suspension is more prevalent, for this year 29ers are on the up, next year it’ll be 650B. Bikes weigh less but work better. Fields are bigger in XC.

That’s about it really.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Cool 🙂

I’m really looking forward to it. It’ll be nice to go back and do some competitive riding again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XC / Enduro racing. It's been a few years, I have a few questions……’ is closed to new replies.