Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • XC Disc Brakes – 160mm
  • armyrider
    Free Member

My Hayes 9 disc brakes have let me down once too often and are destined for the skip. Can anyone recommend some decent lightish disc brakes, I will need a pair, 160mm front and rear. So far I’m looking at Avid Juicy Ultimates and Shimano XT (new ones). Any advice on where to find cheap ones also appreciated

nickc

Avid if you like effing about, Shimano if you don’t.

dave_aber
    Free Member

XT / SLX depending on how fat yer wallet is.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im liking my XTs muchly. Not sure about the avids (not ridden them) but not heard much good about them.

radoggair
    Free Member

How fat is your wallet????

armyrider
    Free Member

I can probably stretch to £200 if I need to. I already have an Avid bleed kit for the 7’s on another bike. Merlin has XT’s for £200 and XTR for £20 more

matt_outandabout

Shimano – reliable, well made and totally functional.

Or Magura Louise or (new) Julies with a 5 year warranty….

tails
    Free Member

saint:)

radoggair
    Free Member

Thinking second hand?

bikerbruce
    Free Member

XTR all the way best i have ever used (i’ve had ultimates and carbons)
    Bruce

BearBack
    Free Member

I know the feeling.. I ‘upgraded’ from Avid BB7’s to Hayes 9 (won them in a raffle but would’ve been annoyed if I’d paid for them)

I’m a Magura convert and tnew Julie HP looks like great value especially with the filter down in design features from the higher end stuff (Louise caliper).
    Aside from that, before Shimano’s price hikes, their stuff was definately worth looking at in terms of price point and functionality.

Worth thinking about running a 180mm rotor up front? Even on my XC race bike I prefer to have it available so run Marta SL on 180/160.

armyrider
    Free Member

Thanks – I hadn’t considered the Magura, will take a look. Any bargains I’ve missed? Merlin are still looking favourites

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

My Avids were dire and they were carbons. Mrs. Squirrel’s are the same. I now have Formula Oro K18s and Hayes Strokers. Both were bought v cheap and are great. 160mm all round and I’m 15st and live in Scotland, where there are hills galore!

However, if I could do it all again, I’d probably go for Shimano (if it weren’t for the cost).

molgrips
    Free Member

What went wrong with the Hayes? I thought brakes were much of a muchness. My own experience is that the maintenance condition of most people’s brakes varies far more than the actual quality of the brakes when new.

Or in other words, most people have dirty pads or they need bleeding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Forumla Oro K18s are very powerful with 160mm discs, had no trouble off mine.

XTs are good too, but have been much more demanding.

radoggair
    Free Member

selling xtr discs if your interested. Brand new( minor scratch on lever housing), 160mm with lockring. Pics available

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16324512@N02/sets/72157614399402757/

in case thats wrong one

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘XC Disc Brakes – 160mm’ is closed to new replies.