Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Xc clipless shoes recommendation
  • napster88
    Free Member

Hey guys. Buying a new xc bike, and looking for some clipless pedals and a new pair of comfortable shoes to go with.
    Looking around I noticed that most Xc shoes have a futuristic look to them, and this is not what I am looking. I prefer a shoe that looks more like the shimano am5, or the giro chamber. The problem is that thees shoes are for downhill and dirt riding. Any shoes with this style that are geared for XC?
    Thanks

Shimano AM5
    Giro Chamber

ton

just yesterday I got a pair of these. after 5 or so years on flats I have been toying with spd use again.
    put em on last night to ride home. rode again today and they seem pretty perfect.
    nice, wide, stiff, comfy. oh and not like disco slippers.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m089-mtb-spd-shoes-wide-fit-2015/rp-prod127710

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To be honest, having owned both the “disco slippers” style are generally better at everything apart from walking as they’re just built to be stiff, and don’t have much tread. The upside is they’re very comfy on the bike, the stiff sole stops the ball of your foot going numb from the pressure of pedaling through it by spreading the load over the whole foot, and the uppers are well vented to let the heat out.

So that’s where I’d draw the line, not so much on looks, if you plan to push up hills get the ‘trainer’ style shoes with slightly flexible rubber soles. If you want to ride all day, get XC shoes.

I’ve got the old MP66’s which are the ancestor of those AM5’s, and to be honest they’re just hot and heavy in comparison.

What does work reasonably well are the touring shoes (Shimano MT series). Enough give in the soles for pushing / carrying up hill, enough rubber on the soles for grip, discreet uppers, not too hot. Or the cheaper end of the XC shoes tend not to be so stiff and come in more subdued colors (like the ones Ton posted).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Spesh Rime are a good compromise. Good for pedalling, yet flexible enough to walk in, and understated looks.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve had the M089’s like Ton mentions for a while now and they’re dead comfy and supportive. Wouldn’t want to do any serious hike-a-bike on them but for general clipped in trail riding they’re great and have spent fair chunks of time off the bike in them as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Xc clipless shoes recommendation’ is closed to new replies.