• This topic has 27 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • XC Chain Devices… Some advice required.
  • mboy
    Free Member

Basically, going to go 1×9 (then 1×10 when funds allow) on one of my bikes. Have run 1×9 on several bikes before, but running full on DH style Chain Devices (MRP, E13, E13 LG1 etc). On a ti hardtail that’s probably going to weigh in at under 24lb, and be used mainly for local XC trails, I’m pretty convinced I don’t need a bottom roller (or do I?) and I want something as light as possible. To that end, have seen the MRP 1X (now in various, increasingly expensive guises), the E13 XCX (also now in various, increasingly expensive guises) and of course, the super cheap Superstar components version of the same thing.

Now, quite simply, is it worth paying more than double for either the MRP or the E13 over the Superstar version? Or then again, is it worth sacrificing a few grammes, and a fair few quid more, for the new MRP Brian Lopes signature device which is just over 100g in weight, but includes a bottom roller too?

Frame has no ISCG mounts, so it needs to be BB fit only by the way…

njee20
    Free Member

See no reason at all not to get the Superstar. I’m using the cage of one, with a bodged seatpost mount.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I have just fitted the SuperStar Plasma chain guide and I must admit I have been very please with the quality. As with all chain devices there is a way to get them to fit best and once I had worked this out with my frame it is as good as any E13, MRP, Blackspire I have used in the past.

I recon the 16 quid SuperStar one would be as good as the rest and you will certainly save yourself some serious money!!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I lined up against the current men’s 55’s World Champ yesterday, Benny Andersson, he was running 1*10 on his 29er. He had a MRP and beat me by around 8 minutes, (after also winning the vets race earlier on in the day), so weight not really an issue there.

mboy
    Free Member

cheers guys

njee, why the bodged seat tube mount as opposed to running the BB mount?

DT78
    Free Member

I had chain line / noise issues with the bottom roller on the plasma guide I fitted to my mrk1 nomad when 1×9, so removed it and going to try a straitline silent guide for that bike next.

The mrp 1x I have fitted to my mmmbop occassionally drops the chain when I back pedal, and reasonably often on rough descents (like afan skyline) but normally pedals back on without issue. The last 4 days riding in wales however broke it – the bottom part of it cracked and fell off at some point. Still is lasted the best part of a year.

About to try bodging the top cage from the plasma onto the mrp’s bb mount, can’t see any reason it won’t work.

dobo
    Free Member

BB mount can be a pain to setup, i’m using the superstar just fine though, with a slight washer mod.
    but lightweight cheap frame mount cage would get my vote

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve got a MRP Lopes on my Prophet, running 10 speed. I’ve found it really good. Seems quiet and obviously won’t let the chain fall off. For the extra few grams, knowing your chain won’t ever come off is great.

rustler
    Free Member

I use the Superstar one. Works fine. Can’t for the life of me see why I’d need to spend more, but the Pauls one is a lot neater.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What is the cheapest Dual ring chain guide? do superstar do one?

gee
    Free Member

I have 3 of the MRP ones. They are idiot proof to fit and adjust and the chain doesn’t fall off.

GB

njee20
    Free Member

njee, why the bodged seat tube mount as opposed to running the BB mount?

Press-fit BB.

If you want a Pauls one I got one from the US, it didn’t fit, and I CBA to send it back. It’s a lot smaller and neater than the others, meant to work well though.

mboy
    Free Member

Njee, got a pic?

How much?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Emailed ya njee20.

massmoor
    Free Member

mboy, I got a MRP 1×9 for sale if your interested?

mudfish

Cruzheckler, cheapest dual might be the Blackspire Stinger. V similar to Gamut dual .
    Keep the roller brg. well lubed and they are fine.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Another vote for the pauls. Have used both the tube and BB mounts and never dropped a chain (although to be honest wasn’t a huge issue prior to fitting … good luck or other im not sure). I tried the mrp but didn’t have enough adjustment for chain line on my particular set up. I’ve also got a spare high mount pauls knocking about somewhere? Fitted a rockhopper so 30.9 seat tube.

They are light, simple and elegant.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Njee, if Mboy does not want it or it does not fit his, can you let me know type and size you have as I am also after one for my 29ner – I have tried all of the others and hoping (it looks it) the Pauls is the narrow-est at the chain?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The BB mount ones (I have an E13 Hive) are more of a fiddle to setup, and you have to nip up the BB cup tightly to stop the device rotating. It’s completely doable, but I see the attraction of the seat-tube mounted top-guides.

I’ve had no chain problems with the top only device, but “your mileage may vary” depending on how fast and rough your riding/trails are.

twohats
    Free Member

Going to try a
    straitline silent guide for that bike
    next .

Tip for chain device clearance and perfect chainline with that set up.
    put a 1mm b/b spacer between b/b mount and b/b cup to give clearance between cranks and chain device.
    Fit a second 1mm spacer behind the cassette to get the chainline back where it should be. Job done.

7hz
    Free Member

I tried a Pauls as well, but it didn’t fit due to my fat downtube. Anyone wants to buy it from me (35mm seat tube) gimme a shout.

Ended up with http://www.bbgbashguard.com/Mountainbike.html bash outer and http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

mboy
    Free Member

How much 7hz? My seat tube is a 34.9 so it should fit ok.

Massmoor, what would you want for the MRP?

DT78
    Free Member

Tip for chain device clearance and perfect chainline with that set up.
    put a 1mm b/b spacer between b/b mount and b/b cup to give clearance between cranks and chain device.
    Fit a second 1mm spacer behind the cassette to get the chainline back where it should be. Job done.

Hmmmm, I had the 1mm spacer on the bb to give clearance but didn’t realise you could space out the cassette too. Thanks for the tip – will give it a try before spending (more) money on another guide.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I also did not realise you could put a spacer behind the cassette, but I see the idea. But won’t it stop the cassette lock nut from screwing on – the threaded part is quite narrow?

7hz
    Free Member

Sent u an email mboy

twohats
    Free Member

I also did not realise you could put a spacer behind the cassette, but I see the idea. But won’t it stop the cassette lock nut from screwing on – the threaded part is quite narrow?

Nope, though I wouldn’t want to fit more than a couple of spacers behind the cassette. Hope market their b/b spacers as both cassette and b/b spacers.

mboy
    Free Member

Sent u an email mboy

No you haven’t 😕

You sure you got my email address right (it’s in my profile)?

mboy
    Free Member

7hz, you wanna try drop me an email again… I’m interested in the Pauls chain guide for sure mate…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘XC Chain Devices… Some advice required.’ is closed to new replies.