Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • XC Cassette
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I think I might go for an ultegra 11-28 on my xc build with a triple up front.

Does that sound alright, what are you XC boys/girls using?

onandon
    Free Member

I’m using a 42-29 up front with a 12-27 Dura Ace at the rear.
    one of the other bikes has a 34 up front with a 11-32 XTR

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m using 36-28 up front and 11-32 at the back. Seems to work for most things and I’ve never run out of gearing.

eyerideit
    Free Member

on and on, PJM1974

are you both running 2×10 or 3×9?

onandon
    Free Member

one of the bikes is 1×9 the other is 2×9.

mboy
    Free Member

WAY too many duplicate ratios with a roadie cassette on an MTB, that and you’re forever changing gear.

Much better to use a wide ratio 11-36 10spd cassette, and go dual ring (or even single ring if you’re tough enough!) up front IMO. You still get the spread of gears, much less duplicate ratios, and you’ll save more weight too.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Ok sound advice,

Thing is I don’t want to fork out for a new drivetrain, just thought I could use my existing cranks and mechs.

If I go 2×9 what do I do, just lose a ring of the front?

10 speeds not an option at the moment as I’ve not got enough to buy a new drive train.

RealMan
    Free Member

Thing is I don’t want to fork out for a new drivetrain, just thought I could use my existing cranks and mechs.

If I go 2×9 what do I do, just lose a ring of the front?

Yes.

Running 26/38 and an 11-32 here, it’s nice. 2×9/10 is where it’s at, triples are rubbish.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks for the pic, nice bike BTW.

I’m sorted now will do 2×9

And thanks everyone for your advice. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

22/36 chainrings.11-34 casette here. gears from 2 mph to 30 mph. that will do me

PJM1974
    Free Member

BTW I’m running 2×9.

njee20
    Free Member

WAY too many duplicate ratios with a roadie cassette on an MTB, that and you’re forever changing gear.

This. I tried it for a while, but hated it. The close ratios aren’t advantageous on an MTB, just annoying! 2×9 is a far better solution, I liked 28/40 with an 11-34. Now gone 1×10 with a 36 and 11-36.

mcboo
    Free Member

Flame me as an old fart but I’ve been through all combinations of 3×9, 2×9, 1×9 and now on 3×10 new XTR which came on a new XC bike……3×10 is by far the best combination I’ve used. Have never ever gotten on with front mechs, always felt like I’m about to drop or break a chain, thus my efforts to reduce front changes by losing rings.

At this time of year I pretty much just stay in the big ring and go up and down that great big 11-36 cassette. Front changes are like a swiss clock. Granny ring weighs nothing, dont know what the advantage of losing it is. Unfortunately XTR is stupid expensive but it came on a bike…..

eyerideit
    Free Member

mcboo picture of your stupid expensive bike please?

I need my morning dose of eny.
    😕

njee20
    Free Member

Mine came with XTR 2×10, and I used XX last year. I just found (like you McBoo) that I was in the big ring 95% of the time, but often at the bottom of the block, with a rubbish chainline – and on a triple it’s even worse. I find a single simpler, lighter and more effective. Personally I have no use whatsoever for a 22/24 type granny ring – I’ve not used one for 6 years. YMMV of course!

mcboo
    Free Member

Only ’cause I’m a tart.

The bike wasnt all that expensive really when you price up all the bits that are hanging from it.

njee20
    Free Member

They are stonking value. Needs some lighter wheels.

mcboo
    Free Member

Yeh the wheels look bling but not sure it’s worth them putting them on this bike. Maybe something white/red/black from American Classic would have done the job for less and still looked outrageous.

eyerideit
    Free Member

mcboo me likey v.much…

and a great spec just looked at the website

What’s it weigh in at?

mcboo
    Free Member

about 23lb I think, is an XL.

Keva
    Free Member

three mtbikes geared differently

36/11-32
    32/44/11-25
    22/32/44/11-32

Kev

D0NK

Tried 22/32/44 with a 12-27 cassette a few years ago, lovely for road sections (did use it for some road commuting) but too much shifting and not low enough gears xc.

Where do the none granny ringers ride? I do SS so not afraid to honk uphill but when I ride gears I like to spin to the top. Plus how the hell do you go up proper hills? 22×32 is nice to have in the lakes and similar hilly places.

rootes1

Much better to use a wide ratio 11-36 10spd cassette, and go dual ring (or even single ring if you’re tough enough!) up front IMO. You still get the spread of gears, much less duplicate ratios, and you’ll save more weight too.

true but an 11-28 ultegra cassette is not exact a close ratio cassette is it…

whereas and 11-21 would be!

njee20
    Free Member

11-28 is closer than 11-34. BTW there’s not an Ultegra 9 speed 11-28 – it’s SLX, Ultegras only come in 12-27 (which was actually what I tried).

Where do the none granny ringers ride? I do SS so not afraid to honk uphill but when I ride gears I like to spin to the top. Plus how the hell do you go up proper hills? 22×32 is nice to have in the lakes and similar hilly places.

All over the place. Local riding is Surrey Hills, but race everywhere. Raced 5 laps at Dalby on 36t single, done Afan, Margam, Mayhem etc, no problem! Did a 12 solo at Twentyfour12 with 30/42, barely even got out of the saddle.

IMO 22-32 is useless, so little momentum that you stop as soon as you hit anything. In 5 years I’ve not found anything I can’t climb with a double that I would with a triple, and in 6 months of single ring that’s yet to be a hindrance either.

rootes1

for me having got on with 1×9 I like the look of 1×10 due to the 11-36 spread – no duplicates and simpler shifting

BTW way in 10speed you can get ultegra 11-28 assumed we were talking 10 speed as 9 speed is sooo obsolete 😉 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

32/44/11-25

😯

Good effort 😀

D0NK

IMO 22-32 is useless, so little momentum that you stop as soon as you hit anything

I can think of a few climbs that it’s touch and go cleanable (for me) with 22×32 no chance with anything higher, long climbs with technical bits in the middle – or just long silly steep (back of walna scar). Being fitter would probably enable me to use higher gears but I’d have to get a lot fitter, there’s time’s I wish I had 22×34 not many tho. But you’re a racer IIRC and I’m guessing speed means more to you than cleaning stuff – other way round for me 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

BTW way in 10speed you can get ultegra 11-28 assumed we were talking 10 speed as 9 speed is sooo obsolete

OP’s 3rd post:

10 speeds not an option at the moment as I’ve not got enough to buy a new drive train.

But you’re a racer IIRC and I’m guessing speed means more to you than cleaning stuff – other way round for me

I am indeed a racer, but if I couldn’t clean stuff I wouldn’t stick with the limited ratios – I’ve not had to walk a climb in years, literally. And like I say, I’ve not found a single climb that I couldn’t climb comfortably with a double that could be done with a triple, and single is proving fine, albeit a bit more of a grind in places! I am on a lighter bike than you (I expect!), which helps, and I’m possibly fitter, which also helps.

There’s a climb near me which is steep, with a very steep rooty bit in the middle. Took me a few attemps to clean it, but once I got the knack it’s fine. Higher gear is easier, you carry more speed, and don’t stall on the roots. I’ve never seen anyone get up it, racer or otherwise, in a 22/32 type gear, you can’t get over the roots. Admittedly it requires a bit more fitness to push the bigger gear, but like I say, I don’t find really low gears any use at all. YMMV.

D0NK

I’m guessing it’s mostly

and I’m possibly fitter, which also helps

As you say more speed is def better on tech climbs but the stuff I’m thinking of there’s no way I could charge up with 1:1 gear, lack of fitness 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Do it more, it gets easier 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘XC Cassette’ is closed to new replies.