Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Xc bike upgrades help
  • phil40
    Free Member

I am planning on a season of XC racing this year, and would like to upgrade my bike a bit!

It is a whyte 529 hardtail which I like riding and am comfortable on, I can’t afford a new bike but have about £500 to spend on upgrades!

I was thinking of the fork (which is a rock shox xc 28 coil job) and some better wheels, but really haven’t a clue where to start.

So any advice? If possible I would like to get a through axle front just to future proof things…..and because everyone seems to say they are better, but have not got a clue about what a good fork/wheel combo for Xc would be at my budget!

If it makes any difference I am quite a big lad (89kgs) but am trying to lose some weight!

everyone
    Free Member

Fork and wheels are going to be the biggest performance upgrades. After that I’d go for a 1x drivetrain (unless it already is of course).

sofatester
    Free Member

If it makes any difference I am quite a big lad (89kgs) but am trying to lose some weight!

I’d be looking there to start with, unless you’ve got <10% body fat.

If you want to spend money a decent set of handmade wheels and light(ish) tyres would make a noticeable difference. Then use the rest on some short travel air forks. Though you’ll probably have to go second hand to make it worth your while.

phil40
    Free Member

It’s 3*9 so as far as you can get 🙂

any suggestions for brands of wheels or forks that would be an improvement but still under budget? I would like hope but I think that would blow my budget completely 🙂

phil40
    Free Member

I have lost 7kgs since I decided to get back into shape……but I still have 8kgs to go to get back to my former sporting weight 🙂 yes I did eat all the pies!

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you’re after a new fork is be looking at the German websites, I just picked up a 2015 Reba RL 29’er with 15mm thru axle for £290, which is £60 cheaper than anywhere I could find over here.

What are the standard wheels? Superstar may be worth a look as they keep having sales on wheels

sofatester
    Free Member

I have lost 7kgs since I decided to get back into shape……but I still have 8kgs

Good work, keep at it.

phil40
    Free Member

Not sure what the standard wheels are, they seem to be whyte branded hubs on some rims! I suspect given the bike was £699 they are not going to be the best!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Prettying anything will be better then

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Xc bike upgrades help’ is closed to new replies.