Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Xc bike 29er advice
  • cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I am looking to upgrade from my current bike (an orange clockwork) soonish, either the whole bike or just the frame.
    Any suggestions?
    Budget wise, not massive whole bike around £1000/ frame £550 ish I know its not a huge upgrade but sadly my budget is a lot smaller than it used to be. Size wise good for a 6 foot 1 and a bit man and but no 21inch gates and not too steeper head angle. Riding xc style with some racing thrown in. Have been looking at the new whyte x29 (would just use the frame) but a bit worried its too slack and long is this wrong? At 645 tt for the large I would need a 60/70mm stem, too short for xc? Any drawn backs to using such a short stem? Or me being too old school? I liked the c29 when I rode it a while ago but that’s a wee bit steeper and shorter.
    Would the above be OK or not, other suggestions welcome. The only things that I have ruled out so far are Chinese eBay frames due to moral implications and a kinesis ff29 due to asthectics.
    Thanks in advance.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Sorry on my phone that didn’t seem such an endlessly long post…till I posted it!

weeksy

Used spearfish.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Possibly what size and year?
    Thanks

johnnystorm

On One lurcher. Preferred it for XC to my Spearfish.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Thanks and also sorry I should have put that on my list too, stupidly fussy looks wise, damn my artistic eyes, as know its a good shout.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 19″ KTM Aera frame for sale at the moment, brand new… 1200g Carbon XC 29er race bike…

606mm ETT is more traditional “XC race” than the Whyte’s if that appeals.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Thank you, that would be perfect but 606 is too short for me, sorry. I know I some what contradicting myself, but needs to be longish, like 620mm+ but maybe I am all wrong re the whyte being too long…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’m selling a santa cruz tallboy (L) in Al
    but its too much for your budget, sorry 🙁

adsh
    Free Member

Best to size the bike via the top tube not the seat tube. Thusly the Whyte 29Cs are much larger than their seat tube dimensions suggest. I’m 6′ and ride the Medium with a 90mm stem because I like a looong position. The slacker HA gives confidence inspiring handling and doesn’t give anything up in the turns.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Blimey! That KTM looks suspiciously Chinese!

Kryton57

I appreciate the budget is ott but if you are prepare to finance an pay nothing for 12 months and save for the balance, this deal is even better than last years £1500 I paid for mine and you’d have an awesome bike:

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-anthem-x-29er-2015.html

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

God I am now regretting posting this as each time someone comments 99% of the time I think, no not that, and thus seem like a total smeg head!
    But not a giant anthem, maybe the 29er version would be better but the 26 version was my most hated bike I have ever owned, we did not get on at all!

Maybe I should reword this post would there be anything wrong with running a short stem and slack head angle for xc?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Pedal Domain in Italy are selling a new 2013 spearfish frame in green.

iain65
    Free Member

Have a look at the trek superfly, I got one to race with at the start of the season and cannot fault the geometry, it also just ‘feels fast’ if I’m allowed to say that, even with me on it 🙂

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Really like the look of the superfly but always feel like I fall in between two sizes the 19.5 and the 21″, more drawn to the 19.5 but it’s only 18.5 in the seat tube and the head tube seems super short but still definitely one to consider.

iain65
    Free Member

I’m just over 6ft1 and went for the 21″‘, the ETT is about 640mm if I remember and actual frame size is 20″. I was loaned a 19″ that I rode the HONC on and it was okay but had a load of seatpost sticking out! Also be careful because the SL sizing is different to the normal frames.
    I’ve found the bigger size very stable, even on more technical courses, I also use a 100mm stem which is pretty old school…

Kryton57

Op that Anthem is the 29er, and it has a much better reputation that’s you give the 26er, but it’s your cash. Maybe read up on some reviews.

For the same reasons as you I’m scared of buying another Intense, although I can’t help thinking a new 27.5 Carbine would be awesome…..

adsh
    Free Member

No.

mboy
    Free Member

Blimey! That KTM looks suspiciously Chinese!

You are aware there’s only a handful of factories in the world that make carbon fibre bike frames, and they’re mostly in China and Taiwan right…?

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Kryton, I know what your saying but I bought the 26 version because of the great reviews and as I said we never got on, its the only bike u have ever hated riding, spent loads of time and money trying to make it work for me, never did. But loads of others like(d) there’s, I just think u would be insaine to go for another anthem, wouldn’t rule out a gaint but not an anthem.

ferrals
    Free Member

cows_in_cars – Member

Maybe I should reword this post would there be anything wrong with running a short stem and slack head angle for xc?

Ok not a 29er, but maybe proportion-wise simialr as i am 5’7 (and a half) and ride a whyte 901 27.5 in M. I only really ride xc and xc racing (in retrospect i probably didn’t buy the best bike for my purposes but hey-ho). Because I am a bit short for the size I’m running a 50mm stem. It’s nominally a 66.5ha I think, but I have dropped the forks to 120mm so I think means nearer 67.5ha? In terms of handling for general xc, the front end does wander on super steep and technical climbs. However, only when I’m really struggling and the climb requires threading through rocks etc. and I have yet to find a climb hard enough on a race course to cause it to happen. Sharp switchbacks both up and down are a bit of a pain. I’ve found this to be a nuisance in a couple of races. On the plus side you can relax more on the dh.

roverpig

would there be anything wrong with running a short stem and slack head angle for xc?

This is something I’ve wrestled with a fair bit. I’d describe myself as a nervous XC rider. I like to ride up the mountain, so want something that is efficient and easy to move around on the climbs. But I also like to feel comfortable on the way down, so want as much skill compensation as I can get my hands on. Of course those two desires are contradictory and the ideal compromise will be different for all of us.

So far, I’ve not found anything to displace my 26″ Five. I’ve had a couple of HT 29ers (FF29 and Solaris) that are faster uphill and I could ride either of them down anything that I’d take the Five down. But they turned the descent from something I’d enjoy on the Five to something I just had to endure (and was glad when it was over). That’s very much personal, of course and for some people those bikes are the perfect compromise.

Getting back to your original question, I stuck a 35mm stem on the Solaris, which is shorter than Cotic recommend and I really liked what it did to the handling, so it’s certainly worth experimenting.

I should point out that the Five is far from perfect, it’s just the best compromise I’ve found so far. But I’m intrigued by these newer FS 29ers that are slack at the front and short at the back.

core
    Clink

Neither the FF29 or Solaris are slack though? The FF29 is 70 degrees with a 120mm fork, Solaris 69 degrees. Try something nearer 68 – a Whyte perhaps? Even the Trek Superflys are 69ish with a 100mm fork.

weegi
    Free Member

Again, might be a tad too short (610 TT) but I have Kona King Kahuna (19″) that might be looking for a new home soon.. Kona King Kahuna . Bought new in 2014 with very few miles on it.

danti

Titus Fireline, light enough for racing, slack but if you ran your forks at 100 then that would steepen up by a degree.

instanthit
    Free Member

I have a Specialized Evo Comp 2015, medium for sale. Spec as bought. Only five rides so in excellent condition. I am looking at £1500 for it.

roverpig

Neither the FF29 or Solaris are slack though? The FF29 is 70 degrees with a 120mm fork, Solaris 69 degrees. Try something nearer 68 – a Whyte perhaps?

I could be wrong, but I thought the Solaris was 69 degrees at sag, so 68 degrees static. I did look into it a while back and it was very confusing, with some manufacturers quoting head angle static and others at ride height. The Solaris is noticeably slacker than the FF29 though and the Mk2 is a degree slacker than my Mk1 as well.

It’s a moot point for me though. The lack of confidence doesn’t come from the head angle so much as the lack of rear suspension. Bouncing down rocky descents on a hardtail is something I can do, but I’ve just never learnt to enjoy it. Each to their own though.

Having said that, I might try some B+ wheels (and maybe a 1 degree angleset) in the Solaris before abandoning it.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’m replacing my clockwork with a 2nd hand bandit 29er frame from off here….
    I was going to get a Stanton Sherpa…. and if I dont get on with the bandit, I’ll probably move it on for the Stanton….

Rockape63
    Free Member

Shame that Anthem isn’t available in XL….just what I’m looking for!

Kryton57

Kryton, I know what your saying but I bought the 26 version because of the great reviews and as I said we never got on, its the only bike u have ever hated riding, spent loads of time and money trying to make it work for me, never did. But loads of others like(d) there’s, I just think u would be insaine to go for another anthem, wouldn’t rule out a gaint but not an anthem.

Totally understand, thats pretty much my experience of an intense tracer vp, and I’m loathe to touch an intense again.

Rockape, are you sure? I don’t remember you measuring up much bigger than me – that large goes to 6’3?

Clink
    Rockape63
    Free Member

Well, I’m 6’4″ Kryton, but it was the inside length that made me think the L would be too small. I just measured mine at 37″

What do you think?

Must admit I’m struggling to know what to buy…there are soo many options and I don’t do enough riding to warrant spending serious dosh.

wonnyj
    Free Member

60mm stem is not too short for XC (yes you’re being oldskool!)

I love my Giant XTC for xc trail riding and the odd bit of xc racing. Got mine from Pauls cycles and then upgraded the wheels from giant own brand to hopes.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Hmmm spec not as good as it used to be at the price:
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p5854/GIANT-XTC-ADVANCED-29ER-2-2015

Kryton57

Not so sure rockape, it’ll probably sell out before I’m able to get to you so you could try mine, but I think Pedalon have 14 day returns policy and it comes in a proper box to be resent.

For me it’s a “tad” long as it puts me arse up and head down but then I am racing it, have the seat rail in the middle and 100mm stem reverse flipped. But I like that, and have half the 350mm seat post buried in the frame with a 33 inside leg and an almost flat bar at 5’11.5. I wonder whether the XL would come up big for you, it’s designed as a “long” rather than than “short” bike. For your more upright Dorking rides it may be perfect. Compare the TT with your current bike maybe?

Just buy it, try it then send it back if not ok.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just buy it, try it then send it back if not ok.

As you say, not much to lose, so I will. My XL Epic is very long and I need the dropper post to have any confidence on the steeps, so perhaps a slightly short bike with the bigger wheels may work well.

You know far more about these things than me, so I’ll give it a go and report back. 🙂

(just ordered it….how exciting, my first new bike since 08)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Xc bike 29er advice’ is closed to new replies.