Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • XC Bike
  • Bedds
    Free Member

Hi all.. I’ve entered 24 12 next year as a soloist for the first time (12 hr).

I’ve got a capra which I don’t want to ride and have been considering a handrail.

Any recommendations? I like the look of the Giant HTC and the Orbea Alma, any others worth a thought?

TIA

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d go for Maple or Oak. You don’t want pine for 24/12, it warps in the wet.

If you want a Hardtail however? I like my Scott Scale in the recommend what you have run of things.

Bedds
    Free Member

😆

Bloody autocorrect! Took me a while to realise what you were talking about!

grtdkad

Scott Scale here, having survived many a 24hr

Stupid.is
    Free Member

For 24/12 I would think about something with the most mud clearance possible and can be converted to single quickly. Oh and one last thing. Mud Clearance. 😆

On a serious note I like my On One Scandal for its cheap and lightness. If you can find one 2nd hand your laughing. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Steel handrails really bring the stairs alive, I find…

Stupid.is
    Free Member

@chakaping careful mind out for high speed burns…..

jonnyrockymountain

If your a size L look in my profile a lovely Scott scale carbon 29er XC machine with top spec at a very good price

Bedds
    Free Member

Thanks Jonny.. I’m 5’10 so that may be a little large.. gorgeous bike though, I would be tempted

tomhoward

A mate did torq 12:12 on a 180mm, Coil shocked, Alu enduro evo this year, you’ll be fine on your Capra.

I’d get a pivot les. Fat if you want mega mud clearance

Northwind

If I may be forgiven a stealth ad, then…
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-xc-carbon-hardtail-nice-parts-list-size-large-fits-like-medium-750-9kg

This is sitting in the garage, eyeballing me and making me feel guilty

mboy
    Free Member

Whyte 29C

Thanks Jonny.. I’m 5’10 so that may be a little large

Coincidentally my medium version might be for sale very soon!

Bedds
    Free Member

Thanks all.. I did 24 on my capra this year and it suffered after four laps due to mud.. hence the desire for simplicity, coupled with a want to do some other races. Cheers for the adverts, will take a look 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Tbh i think most of the latest generation of xc hardtails look great. Not sure you’ll get much in the way of mud clearance though. Maybe more of an adventure style hardtail that’ll take 29×2.4 comfortably and build it with lighter xc components?

steve_b77
    Free Member

KTM Myroon for my money

jonnyrockymountain

Looking at Scott sizing chart large is for 5’9” up?

wheely
    Free Member

My Scalpel is a large and fits me (5’10”) just right for XC.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Specialized chisel looks neat.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@jonny
    Not ridden the very latest Scale, but based on sizing of Scott bikes i own and have test ridden i’d have said L for 5’11 upwards

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

KTM Myroon

A name obviously not picked by a Scot.

Bedds
    Free Member

I guess I need to throw a leg over a few Scott bikes and see what size suits. Have to admit to underwhelmed by a Scott ridden during a demo but admittedly that was a low spec version

fifeandy
    Free Member

@Bedds.
    I got a test ride on 2nd top of the range Scale (previous model). Fabulous bike, incredibly fast, but slightly harsh rear end (should be much improved on newer model as all manufacturers are now putting emphasis here). For XC racing i’d have had one in an instant, but decided against it in the end as i was targetting longer events.

Maybe see if you can get a test on a 2017 BMC Teamelite, mud clearance may not be great, but the softtail is probably ideal for endurance events.

Kryton57
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘XC Bike’ is closed to new replies.