Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • XC / All Mountain / Marathon Bike sub £3k
  • Rupert
    Free Member

Any suggestions for a first bike of this type; used for mtb marathons etc next year.

Budget it £3k, and really want a bike as light as possible (reasonably) as I’m no stick insect myself.

will
    Free Member

Giant Trance Zero?

rewski
    Free Member

Lapierre Zesty 514

uplink
    Free Member

Anthem X 29er ?

traildog
    Free Member

I don’t think you want an All Mountain bike. Also, you say as light as possible, because you’re “no stick insect”, but I would argue your reasoning is wrong here. If you’re heavy, then a lightweight bike will be less important and something stiffer, sturdier will become more important, depending on how different from a stick insect you actually are.

Try and get lots of test rides and get the one you feel the most comfortable, have the most fun on.

shortcut

Scott Scale 29er would be a good choice IMHO.

I am however scepticle about plastic and soot bikes so would personally go for something made of of metal, so a Pace RC129, Lynskey, On-One, Salsa etc.

Rupert
    Free Member

I like the Zesty range; a frend has a 914 but I find it hard to spot the performance dif between the price brackets. Apart from componentry is there a real performance diference between them?

Same with the Anthem range – must be honest, not thought about the 29er though….

Rupert
    Free Member

Traildog thanks for the response; I guess what I meant was that I want a bike that does not sacrefice climbing ability for DH performamce, a good climber is a must; and floating about the 15st mark I need every advantage against the racing snakes on the up-hills!

dickie
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

and floating about the 15st mark I need every advantage against the racing snakes on the up-hills!

Lose some body weight, its the cheapest and most effective option.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

There’s a bit of a contradiction (or trade off) between XC and All-Mountain. The Genre right in the middle of both is the Trail Bike.

Maybe that’s the compromise you should be looking at. Or get two bikes – an XC and a AM at around £1500 each. Or a £2000 AM bike and a £1000 XC hardtail should fit the bill.

As far as Trail bikes are concerned there are plenty to choose from.

£3k could get you a New Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 Carbon 2010 model…

Trek Fuel Ex 9.8

Trek Fuel Ex’s won 2010 Bike of the Year. However, 3K will get you a lot of other decent bikes, and I am sure you will get lot’s of suggestions on here.

andrewh
    Free Member

Yeti 575 or Whyte E120.
    Cheapish bits should get you on budget.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Specialized Epic Evo?

binners

You’ve got 3k to throw at a a bike that can do everything and is still pretty light. Intense 5.5 FRO. Absolutely bloody marvelous bike!!! I’ve seen some complete builds going pretty cheap of late too

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Cannondale RZ-120 (140 if your worried its not “big” enough).

Read Benji’s review in ST60. He finishes by saying “The best all-round mountain bike ever made? Maybe not in everyone’s opinion, but if your asking me – it is.

That alone would make me look at it, but for the record the one in the review was a shade over 2k!

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

I’m with the Zesty 514 camp. Used and abused doing the Strathpuffer (24 hour), Merida & Whinlatter challenge over the past year. Climbs well and comes back down the hill like a f_ckin avalanche. Prices are starting to get a bit out of control now though…

chakaping
    Free Member

Zesty 514 is when the range gets good, to be honest.

It feels pretty light at around 27lbs and pedals like an even lighter bike anyway.

Frame is very stiff too, so probably good for a big guy.

matt_outandabout

I would, over my lovely ST4 if the budget had been there.

br
    Free Member

Traildog thanks for the response; I guess what I meant was that I want a bike that does not sacrefice climbing ability for DH performamce, a good climber is a must; and floating about the 15st mark I need every advantage against the racing snakes on the up-hills!

Mate, at that weight you’ll have no advantages whatsoever, in fact you won’t even see them except on the start line… I talk from experience…

The Trek’s look good, and I’ve demo’d an ST4 which rode well. Maybe an Anthem?

But tbh go get some demo’s, and whatever you do make sure you get the right size – don’t be tempted to go small, ‘cos if you want to do distances with ease you’ll struggle.

ziggy
    Free Member

RZ140 no longer made, only in shorter travel RZ120 flavour now, already ordered mine for spring. About 24.5lbs complete for the RZ120 with the lefty, you’ll have about £500 change from £3k too.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Ignore the “lose weight” camp- lighter is better.

Have a look at this sort of thing-

Trek Fuel EX

Ghost AMR (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=55723- probably the best value- carbon frame and full XT for 3K)

Norco Faze- spec isn’t as good as some but it’s a beautiful ride.

140mm travel will be too much.

I’m unconvinced by Giant Trances personally.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘XC / All Mountain / Marathon Bike sub £3k’ is closed to new replies.