Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Xbox or PS3, which one?
  • Mounty_73

Not much of a gamer, but looking at getting a console, but not sure which one……

Xbox or PS3, what are the main differences, good and bad?

Solo user, not interested in all the online stuff, just something to pass sometime away as I am not a fan of the TV.

Any advice?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

PS3.

As well as gamey options you get a bluray player, including 3d.

Online content is available free if that takes your fancy later.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Ps4 and new xbox is just around the corner dude.. Have both but use the ps3 more

Jamie
    Free Member

Assume the PS4/XBOX One hold no interest?

If not, then either will be ok in all honesty. I just bought a PS3, after selling my Xbox 360, as wanted to play all the PS3 exclusives that I have missed out on over the years. Apart from preferring the Xbox controller, everything is much of a muchness.

One thing, the PS3 has a Blu-Ray drive, which might be handy if you have not got one already. In relation to non-gaming, they both can run LoveFilm, iPlayer etc, so are quite useful if that’s your thing.

As for prices, there doesn’t seem to be any massive price drops with the advent of the newer models. I paid £220 for a 500gb PS3, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last Of Us and Fifa 14 from Amazon.

Mounty_73

The only reason for not going one or ps4 is price.

I’m not much of a gamer and dont want to spend lots of money and time on it, the xbox and ps3 have all sorts of offers, the blueray is a plus…..

Jamie
    Free Member

Shame you’re posting this now, as last week I sold a absolutely mint 360 with GTA V for £110.

Helpful, eh?

….but given what you’re saying, it might be worth going second hand?

Mounty_73

I did see some second hand consoles in Game, I will have look around on ebay etc.

Any other sites or forums worth looking at?

bearnecessities

Asda had the 12gb PS3 with Assassins Creed for £129 in store (Morley) the other day – showing out of stock online though.

jon1973
    Free Member

Was a bit disappointed to read that apps like Lovefilm and Netflix won’t be available on the ps4 / xbox one on release date. I won’t be getting one until they sort that out…it’s a big part of the point of it for me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Was a bit disappointed to read that apps like Lovefilm and Netflix won’t be available on the ps4 / xbox one on release date. I won’t be getting one until they sort that out…it’s a big part of the point of it for me.

Similar reasoning for me not getting the PS4. In that the ability to play older PS3 games will not be coming to Gaikai till next year.

I did see some second hand consoles in Game, I will have look around on ebay etc.

First pick the one you are going for and then see what the best deals were. I had a look on eBay for PS3s for a week or so, and it was crazy that people were paying the same, if not more, for second hand consoles than you would from Amazon, ShopTo etc. I would suggest getting the best deal on a new one. Either that or buy a secondhand one locally, or from someone off here, as eBay prices are mental.

bearnecessities

as eBay prices are mental.

I’ve noticed that too; hence why I still haven’t got one – I think folk may prefer the slim to the super-slim?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

The super slim suffers ridiculous overheating issues as theyve shrunk the case then the cooling was an afterthought. Thats why people want the slims also the slims can be flashed or run with modded progs on them.

Look out for opened consoles both ps3 and xbox make sure theyve not bin banned from online ive sin modded xboxes commanding 250 xonsole only just because its bin “j tagged” modded in other words.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think folk may prefer the slim to the super-slim?

These prices were mainly the newer superslims.

The super slim suffers ridiculous overheating issues as theyve shrunk the case then the cooling was an afterthought. Thats why people want the slims also the slims can be flashed or run with modded progs on them.

That’s why I bought new. If it goes pop, then I know Amazon will sort me out. Anyway, I have been playing The Last Of Us for 3 hours max so far, and no issues. Wondering if this is one of those issues that has been escalated through the internet bullshit filter in relation to it’s prevalence?

rewski
    Free Member

I’m not really a gamer but love need for speed most wanted on ps3, driving around the airport in an Aston Martin db5 is very cool. Ps4 looks impressive.

the-muffin-man

We had a similar dilema for my daughters Xmas present and on advice from a friend who worked in the games industry we went for the XBox 360.

Cougar

Blu-Ray aside, for most practical purposes there’s little difference between the two. What would swing it for me if I were coming to it cold is a) what platform exclusives are there and b) what do my mates have?

I’m a 360 owner, and wouldn’t swap it for the PS3 for any money. A large part of that for me is the online experience which (in my experience) is a joy compared to Sony’s offering. I know you said you weren’t interested in that, but you get loads of free demos and now free titles too; recently they’ve had Fable 2, Assassin’s Creed 2, Halo 3, all for free. I believe Sony are doing something similar as ell.

Looking at the next-gen consoles I’m torn, I think what I’m going to do is pick up a PS3 as a second console when they suddenly depreciate vertically, then I can play Heavy Rain and The Last Of Us. I’m going to hang fire till my mates have made their choices, I think.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not much of a gamer but want a console? It’s going to be an expensive dust collection device!

jon1973
    Free Member

I have a ps3 it’s so much more than just a games console. As well as games it’s used for lovefilm, various iPlayer, BD/ DVD player, video and music streaming from the network. So even if you only play games infrequently, it won’t go unused. We use it every day. One of the most useful things I’ve bought.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

If you get a 360 I have got 20 top games for sale.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Xbox or PS3, which one?’ is closed to new replies.