Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XBOX ONE
  • jon1973
    Free Member

OK, so I just bought a big new TV to go with my XBOX one which I got a few weeks back. I also have a PS3 and a Tivo box connected up.

Without really doing any special setup, when I select HDMI2 (PS3), the PS3 will turn itself on, and if I then switch the TV off, the PS3 will also switch off. I have no idea what this feature is called, but it’s handy.

The XBOX ONE doesn’t do the same – just wondering what I look for in the menu system to set this up.

Ta

hoke
    Free Member

a PS4

Notter
    Free Member

Sony TV by any chance?
    I’m not aware of anything equivalent with the XBONE I’m afraid, but I wouldn’t be surprised at Sony going all fancy and integrating it like that within their own family.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s a Samsung TV, so it must be using some sort of industry standard I imagine.

Notter
    Free Member

In which case I’ll be interested in any enlightenment as I have the same combo of xbox and samsung tv!

[Opens Hobnobs and sits down…. :)]

Cougar

The Xbox One doesn’t (yet) support HDMI-CEC which (I’m guessing) is what the PS3 is using to talk the TV. (In Samsung parlance this is ‘Anynet’, but that’s just a branding on top of a standard).

What you can do though, the One has an IR blaster. So you can set it up so that when you switch on the Xbox it’ll power up your TV etc by essentially pretending to be a TV remote control. Likewise, you can use it to shut everything off.

It’s under something like Settings / Power or Settings / Startup or some such, I can’t remember exactly. It’s not as slick as CEC, and won’t work the other way (ie, the TV powering up the Xbox), but it’s better than nowt.

Euro
    Free Member

Like you, i’m also very lazy and use my children to do menial tasks like turning off and on things. You could try having children? If your too lazy to have sex (lets face it, it’s hard work) just borrow someone elses?

jon1973
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar…I’ll have a look at that tonight.

riddoch

My Sony TV lets you control the PS3 with the tv remote which is handy when using it as a DVD player but this feature only works on one or two of the HDMI ports and needs to be enabled on the PS3.

Cougar

Yeah, that’s CEC (Bravia Link in Sony’s case IIRC, or something like that).

Cougar

Bravia Sync, just looked it up.

I’ve been hoping that CEC will come to the One with a firmware update, but do I wonder whether the box actually has the hardware to support it. It’s a bit of a glaring omission for something marketed as a media centre.

Jakester
    Free Member

I have a Samsung with HDMI-CEC but it’s very hit and miss.

For example, switching the STB on will switch the TV on, but not the AV amp as well. Turning the TV on will not turn on the amp, but turning the TV off using the amp remote will.

Blu-ray and Xbox360 don’t like it at all, though they’re all connected by HDMI.

Best way I found of doing it was mapping sequences to a universal remote.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XBOX ONE’ is closed to new replies.