Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Xbmc.hub TV/ Internet TV tech?
  • craig5

Has anybody else come across this? I have been looking into internet based TV boxes like Apple TV etc, primarily to watch get access to free pay to view content. This seems genuine, and the locals swear by it. 2nd gen jail broken Apple TV boxes or raspberry PI boxes seem popular, the apple is expensive however and the raspberry PI is a bit DIY for a tech numpty like me. I’m looking at some Linux/android boxes on eBay for about £70/£80. Anybody else tried similar TV tech?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Mk808 + wireless keyboard and mouse for about 55 quid.

craig5

Mk808? What’s that then, a little black box. Can it record stuff like a PVR. What do you watch on it? Can you download films off the web onto it?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Best to spend a bit more and get a home theatre PC. Easy to install browser add-ins, proxies, different video decoders etc. Even upgrade hardware down the line

I got a wee AS Rock Core 100HT on eBay for about £175, plus a £25 wireless keyboard.

Tried all the cheaper options before but always found some niggle that got in the way.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Xbmc isn’t as good as it once was. But I use it to run showbox(illegal streaming) and spotify in the living room as well as general browsing on the tele. You can’t record on it its just a wee box that runs android and plugs into the tele.

petrieboy

I’ve been running xbmc on a htpc for a few years now but I’d like to ditch the PC if I could find an android system that would play big HD files with trueHD sound via HDMI. Roku box looked like a good solution last time I looked but IIRC they were having issues with sound codecs.

craig5

I’ve had a look at the now TV box which is basically a cheap Roku box, I think it’s easy to jailbreak ( if I’m understanding things correctly). The little black box I have seen runs Linux. All looks good, what it want to avoid is downloading bogus programs which screw up my setup. Made a mess of Mrs5’s laptop trying to watch F1 on wizywig last wkend. Will xbmc allow easy access to torrent film downloads for a tech numpty like me? Is it easy to set up with a proxy server? Any recommendations for best proxy to use?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Xbmc.hub TV/ Internet TV tech?’ is closed to new replies.