Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • X9 vs SLX 2×10
  • white91
    Free Member

Decided to refresh my hardtail, basically I bought a X9 groupset for a decent price, now I find Merlin have complete SLX groupsets inc brakes for £340.

Should I jump on this SLX groupset or stick with the X9? I could probably sell the X9 stuff for roughly what I paid.

svalgis
    Free Member

SLX brakes are awesome and most people tend to get way more life out of Shimano’s BB’s than SRAM’s equivalent.

The rest is probably just down to preference – I doubt anyone can objectively tell you that a X9 mech is better than a SLX mech, for example.

davewilson634
    Free Member

I would personally go slx .I’ve just replace my carbon x9 with the slx plus and its so much smoother plus no chain slap.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve found SRAM mechs, particularly the rear ones to wear quicker than Shimano and SRAM bottom brackets are pretty poor too. But if you’ve just bought it you are gonna lose some cash selling it so its a big change and you must’ve wanted it in the first place!

white91
    Free Member

Had the £340 deal been around before I bought anything I would have jumped on it.

I bought most of the X9 stuff used, its good condition but I could probably get back what I paid for it.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I much prefer the SLX shifters to the X9 ones. The SLX brakes are also very good and they will both work off the same clamp if you get i spec. My new bike has X9 and I have fitted SLX brakes but they don’t sit happily on the bar together. X9 works better with the reverb.

smaca
    Free Member

SLX brakes are awesome and most people tend to get way more life out of Shimano’s BB’s than SRAM’s equivalent.

I completely agree, I bought a set of XTs which for my HT to replace the frankly poo Avid 3s it came with.

Was an expensive decision, as once I’d tried them, I had to have them on all my bikes. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘X9 vs SLX 2×10’ is closed to new replies.