Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • X9 short cage mechs are s**t
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

The bottom jockey wheel jammed this morning pulling the mech towards the wheel – the composite cage shatterd, the mech hanger bolt sheared off and the mech hanger bent 🙁

£40 lighter and half an hour fettling and we were back on track!

Anyone else had a catastrophic mech failure like that?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

bottom jockey wheel jammed

On what?

Current one is just under two years old, some play but still working

racing_ralph
    Free Member

jammed solid on the pivot

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

as in seized?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not sure yet – the jockey wheel looks like it has melted under friction and one tooth has been ground away by the chain rubbing against it as it wasn’t moving

CountZero

What caused it to jam? I’ve only had a jockey wheel jam once, after an incredibly muddy ride caused mud to be forced past the bearing seals which then dried solid over a couple of days. Washed out with hot water and a toothbrush, re-greased, still working fine two years later. Mech, which is a long cage, is six years old. Other wheel replaced after a tooth snapped off.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not a clue – was fine in the car park pre ride preening

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve had two of mine seize – it is a bitch…

went to LBS and they had a set of X0 jockey wheels which have different and much better bearings, not had a problem since

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Its the fact that the composite cage shattered and “melted” in certain places where the chain rubbed that i am alarmed with

eviljoe
    Free Member

yup- my x9 has been doing dangerous things too- bottom bearing seized, then loosens off, then seizes again, leading to chain behaving in very odd ways at the most inopportune moments…

It’s just a bearing- Does anyone know a cheaper place to try and pick them up than the LBS?

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’ve seen this happen to mates bikes during rides – well maintained bikes jammin like Bob Marley!
    Ran Sram for several years with no probs on my bike, but them mechs have got a reputation for this.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

WHAT ABOUT THE SHIT PLASTIC CAGE THO!

IdleJon

the jockey wheel looks like it has melted under friction

Are you Steve Austin or what??

CountZero

You can get replacement jockey wheel kits for X7/ X9/X0 from BBB. Saw some recently in the Lock Bike Shop in Bradford-on-Avon, and they’re apparently around £10. Picking up a spare set next time I’m nearby.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how will that help me? no cage left!!

Del

i run x7 because i don’t like the shite bearing type jockeys on 9 and up.
    bushes rule!

zaskar
    Free Member

Bad luck and it sucks on the trail.

But can happen to any mech!

bonesetter
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member

how will that help me? no cage left!!

Ever get the feeling no-fecker’s listening?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

aye

eviljoe
    Free Member

What was that? Did someone say something?

I can’t hear above the noise my x9 rear mech is making…..

epicyclo

SRAM make good adverts, soon they will extend this technology to their derailleurs….

(But I like some of their other gear, eg Avid brakes)

trailmonkey

SRAM X9 is really irratating. 2 years on and it still won’t die so I can change it for something more durable.

colnagokid

My sram x9 mech seized, when it got a big stick jammed init (innit) inthe middle of GT, cos it was so BIG and stuck out and hung so low. Had to SS the rest of the way round (fun) took it and the shifters off when I got home and replaced with XT, no probs since.
    Anyone want a x9 rear mech -1 week old- spare sor repair?

CountZero

racing_ralph, I recognize the fact it won’t help you at the moment, but there are a number of other people who have had jockey wheel problems that the info might help. FWIW, I believe you can get spares for SRAM kit, so you might well be able to replace the cage. Not sure, but worth a look. I don’t understand colnagokids point at all. You get a big stick stuck in any mech and you’ll get problems. Just count yourself lucky your mech hanger didn’t get ripped off the frame.

I’ve had problems in the past – undoing the allen bolt a smidge sorted it, until I got chance to strip and clean.

Still not much use to you rob.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘X9 short cage mechs are s**t’ is closed to new replies.