Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • X9 rear mech chain tention (have I gone Mad?)
  • paperjohn1
    Free Member

Can’t seem to get the chain tention right on this Hardtail, it’s an X-9 running 11/34 cas and 22/32/44 front.
    If the chain is taut enough to clear the cage when I index up to 34/44 the mech is under way too much pressure, and if i reduce tention enough to make it work well (34/44) the chain rubs the cage as the rear Jockey is higher than the guide wheel.
    I know biggest on both ends is a bad combo and I seldom use it but surely ist better to run a slack chain and negate the chance of ripping the mech out?
    Shimano mechs have never given me this trouble. They can deal with the spread without becoming too tight or loose.

Am I missing something obvious?

Isa needa help!

paperjohn1
    Free Member

Bump!

ThePinkster

Have you adjusted the B tension screw correctly?

What length cage are you using?

neilthewheel

Are you talking about adding/removing chain links here? If so, this is the first thing to sort out. In my experience the best way to sort this is to run the chain round the 34t sprocket and the 44t chainring, without threading the chain through the rear mech. Bring the ends together so the chain is taut. The correct length is this + one whole link + the magic link. This will give you enough slack to prevent the mech getting ripped off, but not so much the chain is sloppy when in the smallest chain ring/ smallest sprocket.
    The other issue to sort out is the B-screw setting. I thinks SRAM recommend 1.5 links clearance between the top pulley and whatever sprocket you are in so wind the B screw in or out until you get there or thereabouts.Hope this helps.

paperjohn1
    Free Member

Pinkster and Neil: Thanks for the reply,Its a long cage 104mm through wheel centers (not axles), It’s on a Carrera Titan 2009/10 Hardtail as standard(I think). Maybe a medium cage,I’m not as familiar with SRAM sizing as Shimano but It should be enough if it’s standard. The guide clearance from the cassette is spot on so that makes me think cage length, but if the chain is slack enough to allow the 34/44 combo it’s to slack for the 11/22 combo,and the chain rubbs on the cage-gate.
    If you get my meaning?

bigyinn
    Free Member

You should never use the extremes of gearing as the chain angles are pretty rubbish and it puts too much strain on the mech.
    As others said, the std method is to run the chain round big / big and add 2 links to get the right chain length.

paperjohn1
    Free Member

Biggy: “I know biggest on both ends is a bad combo and I seldom use it but surely ist better to run a slack chain and negate the chance of ripping the mech out?”

Recap: Biggest on both +2 is what it is but then the chain is so slack it rubbs the cage-gate in 11/22. I’m now thinking that it must be a med cage.

Does anyone have cage sizes for SRAM x9 Mechs?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I take the opposite view, a shorter chain is better for me.
    I run 11-32 rear and 24/36/46 front with a med cage XT rear mech, never have any issues. As long as you avoid big/big you’ll be ok. I never run more than halfway up the cassette using the big ring so its not an issue.
    Basically any mech cant be expected to cope with the extremes, so its better to teach yourself not to run extremes.

ThePinkster

The 3 cage sizes for X9 mechs are 55mm, 75mm & 99mm

paperjohn1
    Free Member

I know what your saying biggy, I ran a XTR shortie with the same setup on a stumpy marathon and never had an issue but this sram don’t like it, although the indexing is superb inbetween the two extremes. Just seems odd that the Importers/dealers had the spec wrong on original assembly for the bike. That’s why I was 2nd guessing myself.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

paperjohn1
    Free Member

Thanks Pinky, that’s curious though, must be a large.
    Perhaps I am going mad!
    I’ll leave it slack in 11/22 as I’m never down there round here and anywhere I might need that combo I’d be using full suss anyhow.
    Just fitted Middleburn Slick hardcoats to the front, that’s a propper bit of quality (providing you take the lead edge off the pins with a dremmel that is).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘X9 rear mech chain tention (have I gone Mad?)’ is closed to new replies.