Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • X9 RD hanger bolt stripped
  • speedstar

So I managed somehow to strip the hanger bolt on my 2011 X9 rear mech. I eventually had to hacksaw it off as nothing I was doing was able to get any bite. My problem is now I have taken a bit of the surface off the body where it meets the B-limit assembly, say about a mm on one side, less on the other. I seem to be able to buy an X0 bolt kit but i’m wondering if it will still work and whether it’s cross compatible with X9? I can post pics if necessary. Thanks!

speedstar

Thought I would give it a run in the daytime. Just looking for some advice as to whether inserting another hanger bolt is sensible as there is some damage from having to hacksaw it off. Any advice or previous experience would be very helpful. Thanks!

soobalias
    Free Member

my personal opinion is that you should buy a shifter, cable and mech from shimano

after first impressions, i have nothing good to say about SRAM shifting.

and im struggling to get my head round the pics.

gazc
    Free Member

ouch – did this to mine too 😳 am going to drill the bolt out from the back side of the replaceable dropout with a pillar drill

speedstar

Ha I’m not prejudiced! To be fair i’ve run both Shimano and SRAM in the past and haven’t had a problem with either really, not major problems anyway. I do feel the bolt stripped out far too easily in this case though. It was just a case of tightening it to the hanger that did it and I have read of others having similar issues. To be faced with potentially having to throw a whole X9 rear mech out due to a hanger bolt does not leave me with good feelings about the rest of the SRAM kit. The bolt was solid enough that’s for sure, as I took my titanium screw-bit to it but it still resisted turning in the threads, despite drilling out ok. I eventually had to saw through to remove the hanger from the bolt and then again to remove the B-screw apparatus from the bolt too as I couldn’t get the O-ring off either! So there is about a 1mm dip visible in the photos due to sawing on the frame side of the hole for the hanger bolt, which, if I was to replace just the hanger bolt, might cause issues in the future even if it were to function correctly? This is where i’m hesitant as there may be a high degree of tolerance in terms of function if I were to screw a new bolt in as the threads are actually completely intact but there may be nothing to stop it happening all over again with the next hanger. Really B***** annoying is what it is!

speedstar

Oh and Gazc I recommend removing the whole thing from the frame first then locking the mech in a vice if you can as it was hard to get a straight line on the dropout due to interference from the opposing dropout, although I guess it might depend on the fram you have.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘X9 RD hanger bolt stripped’ is closed to new replies.