Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • x9 cranks – removable spider?
  • trusty

Looking at replacing my cranks to make it neater running 1×10. Looking at the 2×10 sram x9 cranks, is the spider removable on these?

Ta muchly

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Yes. I run mine with an MRP bling ring. Here’s my Chameleon with X9 1×10. Three Torx bolts to remove the spider.

Edit: Type 2 rear mech works well also.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes. Remove the crank and you’ll see two Torx screws behind the spider. If you unscrew these then the spider slides off.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mr Fisher is right – its 3 Torx screws!

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Merlin have X9 doubles for £75 at the moment including GXP BB. I believe X7 also have a removable spider, but double check first.

trusty

Cheers all, it was the ones on Merlin I’d spotted. Intending running it with a thick / thin chainring, dropping the spider gives me more choices. £75 seems pretty good with bb as well.

Gribs

In my experience the bb’s are junk. The one fitted to my Canyon lasted 6 months, the Hope that replaced it is still fine 2 years later.

mboy
    Free Member

If you’re getting one of the cheap X9’s off Merlin, and then gonna run it single ring, drop me an email, I’ll almost certainly have the spider and 22/36 ring combo off you…

trusty

I’ve just noticed the ones on Merlin are GXP, which is SRAM’s version of HT2 isn’t it (soo many BB “standards”, does my head in). My bike’s BB/PF30, would one of the adaptors on CRC (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-bb30-english-adaptor/rp-prod44067) do the job to convert?

mboy, I’ll let you know as they’ll be surplus to requirements!

trusty

mboy – email sent. I’ve bought the cranks, the FSA adaptor and Works Components narrow / wide chainring. Hope it all works! 😯

trusty

mboy – tried emailing but got no reply. You intersted in the rings / spider fella?

Steelsreal

if Mboy is not and they are 22/36 then i would be….

Email in profile 🙂

z1ppy

I think Mboy should be very interest.. I’ll see if I can give him a prod.

PS: If he doesn’t I’ll give him a bloody good kicking, cause they would have fitted my chainset replacement plans a treat.

rj
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a set of X9s and was going to bodge them to run single ring, but this looks like a much better idea. If the OP disposes of his spider and rings, I have a set that I’m pretty sure are 36-22, unused that have suddenly become surplus to requirements.

rj
    Free Member

Oops, double post.

Steelsreal

RJ, YGM

trusty

Cheers z1ppy. They’re definitely surplus to requirements so would be good to get a few quid for them. Just waiting for the works components chainring so I can get it built up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘x9 cranks – removable spider?’ is closed to new replies.