Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • X7 clutch mech chain slap
  • teenrat

I fitted a new SRAM X7 2.1 clutch mech a few rides ago and am getting chain slap. There is no on/off switch, so i guess the clutch is on all the time and i can’t find any way to adjust it. Am i missing something, is it knackered or can the tension be adjusted somehow?

Also, when i used shimano clutch mechs, i always turned it off to remove the rear wheel. As there is no on/off on the SRAM mech, the clutch is on when removing the wheel – does this damage the clutch?

ricky1
    Free Member

I get chain slap with my slx mech,didn’t realise I had it Untill I forgot to put my padded chainstay protector on after cleaning the bike,is your chain to long?

teenrat

Checked the chain length and it seems fine.

mindmap3
    Free Member

My X9 and X0 mechs used to slap around lots too, which had me changing back to Shimano after 10 years as a SRAM fan boy.

I’ve got to say that Shimanos clutch mechs seem to be better, I’m just not a fan of their shifters. Even on a hardtail, my Zee mech is more effective at reducing noise than my X9/0 ever was on my Rune.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can adjust the clutch,
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/adjusting-sram-type-2-clutch-868787.html
    There is a small pin lock that you use to hold the mech out of the way when removing the wheel, it springs back when the chain tensions so you can’t forget to turn it back on like the shimano one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘X7 clutch mech chain slap’ is closed to new replies.