Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • x12 axle
  • afkt
    Free Member

hi, I’ve just bought a 2012 cube ams frame and it needs an x12 rear axle. It’s there am alternative to the 30 odd quid syntace one which so far I’ve only been able to find on bike discount.de? seems steep for a bolt!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Syntace one used to be the cheapest option.
    This might be it now
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-x-12-alloy/rp-prod81163

afkt
    Free Member

Looks like that’s going to be the price, it’s not in stock though. For something that’s supposed to be the future, it seems hard to get hold of!

fudge9202
    Free Member

try superstar components

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I presume it’s patent protected

Superficial
    Free Member

Is the ‘nut’ built into the frame? Can’t you just use a standard 12mm axle like a Maxle, Shimano one etc? I doubt any will be significantly less money though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

they’re not quite the same design
    edit: that’s just my opinion, not 100% certain

cnud
    Free Member

Shimano one? Clicky

afkt
    Free Member

I ordered one direct from syntace, which worked out a little cheaper (assuming it turns up!)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You made the right decision IMO.
    Syntace invented this 142mm design/standard and DT Swiss were in from the start using the same design (I presume they pay a fee to Syntace). Other variations of the 142×12 standard later appeared (Shimano and Sram Maxle), but I don’t think they are compatible to avoid patent issues.

It’s what the original 135mm Maxle design should have been in the first place, but Sram didn’t get it quite right with 135mm Maxle. Syntace designed it better.

I believe if you’d bought anything other than Syntace or DT Swiss, it wouldn’t have fitted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘x12 axle’ is closed to new replies.