Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • X01 cassette – do i need to bother with a torque wrench?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Installing a X01 cassette, do i need to bother with a torque wrench?
    spec says tighten to 40nm which is pretty tight i reckon.
    Just guess it?

orangespyderman

I assume you’re asking because you don’t have one, or the one you have doesn’t cover the required range or isn’t reliable/hasn’t ever been calibrated. In which case, don’t bother, just guess it.

If you do have a reliable one to hand that covers the required torque range, use it, it’d be silly not to.

Don’t buy one just for fitting cassettes, or worse still, one cassette.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t tighten it to 40 – numerous threads on how it’s impossible to remove – I do mine to 20
    Torque wrenches for modern bikes are a must

shindiggy
    Free Member

Apply plenty of grease/anti seize. Nip it up tight but don’t go other the top.

Mine has been fine and removed now and again.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks folks

tjagain

I have never used a torque wrench on any bicycle. I do cassettes up to *&^%$£ing tite

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ, I’m assuming you’re unaware of the problems caused by overtightened/seized cassettes on SRAM XD drivers? It can literally reduce a £300 cassette and the freehub body it’s become permenantly attached to to scrap metal. Have a look through my history for the thread I posted about it. 30Nm maximum I’d recommend. Bodge it at your own risk.
    Personally and professionally I use a torque wrench fo any expensive cassette, all HT2 pinch bolts, anything in carbon and any 4/5mm bolt used to secure a handlebar or stem.

nickjb
    Free Member

30Nm maximum I’d recommend. Bodge it at your own risk.

So don’t bodge it but ignore the manufacturer’s recommendation

tjagain

Fair enough PP – my comment was really aimed at the poster who said a torque wrench was essential.

I can tell when a fastener is tight enough without a torque wrench. I have not stripped a bolt since I was 16 and never have stuff come loose. Its all about feel. torque wrenches are not the end all and be all.

Do you clean the threads first? Grease them? Oil them or do them dry – makes a huge difference when using a torque wrench. % stretch in the bolt measured with a dial gauge is the only really accurate measure or like my BMW cylinder head bolts – tighten to a low torque then a specific number of degrees of turn

nickjb
    Free Member

I can tell when a fastener is tight enough without a torque wrench… Its all about feel. torque wrenches are not the end all and be all.

I think that’s the key. You are much better off getting a good feel for how tight bolts should be. More useful than just relying on a tool, especially one that is like to be wildly inaccurate

Nip it up tight but don’t go over the top.

A good rule of thumb for most bolts 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘X01 cassette – do i need to bother with a torque wrench?’ is closed to new replies.