Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • X Small/Small 26'' Wheel Frame Suggestions
  • letmetalktomark

Mrs LMTTM is just about 5′.

She currently has a 16” GT Chucker as her bike that she has ridden up until now.

The bike, despite having trickle down upgrades, is fairly heavy. Frame is over 6lbs 😕 and its a bit big even with an inline post and 60mm stem.

So for this summer I would like to build her a lighter bike but also a better fitting bike.

Thinking 14” frame, 20.5” TT or something like that.

Disc brake compatible would be a bonus as the wheels are disc only but that said not a deal breaker 😆

Any suggestions?

Pics would be good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tiny 456? Orange 5 Diva, Superlight XS

chiefgrooveguru

XS Soul with a 40mm stem?

lister

Not sure if you can get them frame only, but we’ve just taken delivery of some Kona Fire Mountains at work and the 14″ is really small and nice. Tidy little frame, disc mounts and everything.
    I think most Konas come is 14″…

LMT
    Free Member

You haven’t mentioned budget, my OH went all out and picked up a Canyon Nerve female version in xs, she loves it perfect fit and full of bling xt kit

darryl1983
    Free Member

14″ On-One Scandal

nigelb001
    Free Member

^^ this. But out of stock.

moniex
    Free Member

We have a 14″ scandal for my 12 year old and it is a little long the top tube, not ideal for little ones, but he gets on well with it.

My other son has a small rockhopper frame, they come up here and on eBay now and then. Great and comfortable frames, builds into a nice light bike.

I’d say a small womens rockhopper if you can get it, womens frames have shorter top tubes then men’s frames.

Good luck

gonzy
    Free Member

the Kinesis Maxlight XC3 might be worth looking at at…it has a shorter toptube than normal for an xc frame and uses easton tubing so should be pretty light…only downside is that the smallest size is 16inch….
    Kinesis Maxlight XC3

ianv
    Free Member

It would be mental buyiong a 26″ frame for a 5 yr old (unless she is a giant). At that age most kids are on 20″, 26″ would be like steering a supertanker for her.

nigelb001
    Free Member

^^ Where did 5 year old come from??

missnotax
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 4″ and I have both a 14″ Orange 5 Diva and an xs Santa Cruz Juliana (also about 13/14″). The Santa Cruz comes up smaller and is a great little bike, but the Orange is a fabulous trail bike – it all depends on what type of riding she likes. A friend who is also a it of a shorty rides a women specific 13″ Trek Fuel (but again quite short travel).

Ebay always has second hand tiny bikes listed so worth keeping an eye on there 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ve still got my son’s old Merida TFS frame in 14.5″ for sale. That’s light.

br
    Free Member

My son is only 5′ and currently he’s riding a Dr Jekyll that I’ve built up for XC. 13″ give-or-take and light as its aluminium.

ianv
    Free Member

^^ Where did 5 year old come from??

Misread 5′ for 5, sorry!

rewski
    Free Member

trek 4300 comes in a 13″

duirdh
    Free Member

24″ wheel kids bike will fit her better than an xs 26″ adult bike.

The only reason parents buy their 10yr olds 26″ wheeled adult bikes is with the flawed logic that they’ll “grow into” them and unless your wife is a child bride that’s not likely to happen any time soon is it?

mboy
    Free Member

24″ wheel kids bike will fit her better than an xs 26″ adult bike.

The only reason parents buy their 10yr olds 26″ wheeled adult bikes is with the flawed logic that they’ll “grow into” them and unless your wife is a child bride that’s not likely to happen any time soon is it?

Right, that’s it, I’ve had enough… I’ve GOT to bite this time!

For someone so relatively new to here, you don’t half post some crap don’t you!

Love the fact your profile says this…

Hi. I’m Derek, a twin so please don’t confuse me with my elder brother, he’s a bore with an opinion on everything, I’m far quieter and spend most of my life riding bikes

REALLY? Please god if you think your brother is a bore with an opinion on everything, go have a look in the mirror! Seems it runs in the family…

Anyway… Seeing as Willow Koerber at 5ft2 used to win races on a 29er, I think the argument for wheel size is totally invalid here. Besides, when have you ever seen a decent 24″ wheeled XC bike? AFAIK there’s only islabike that make anything approaching half decent and lightweight 24″ wheeled mountain bikes, otherwise you’re restricted to heavy sub £200 kids bikes with 6 speed revoshifters, or 24″ Dirt Jump bikes probably with a singlespeed and massively heavy kit.

26″ wheeled bikes go plenty small enough if you know where to look. Depends if you want a frame only or whole bike too. The Santa Cruz Juliana Frames aren’t cheap, but they are good quality, and go very small. Trek and Specialized do ladies bikes that go very small. But so do a few other companies too. We sell Merida’s at work, and the Merida Juliet range goes flippin’ tiny! The smallest they do may only be a 14″ frame, but it’s so short, that even ladies of 5ft1 or so tend to go for the 16″ frame to get a bit of extra length. Certainly even someone of down to about 4ft8 would be fine on the 14″ Merida Juliet’s.

As for other’s… Well it’s a shame they don’t do them any more, but the Merlin Malt range used to come in sizes right down to a diddy 13″, even the 15″ is pretty small though. Also All Terrain Cycles used to do the Handsome Dog range in a 14″ (and it was small for a 14″) but don’t seem to any more. Then there were the Brand X’s that CRC used to do (think same frame as the Handsome Dog rebranded), and well… Seems there used to be a lot! Best get on ebay for a cheapie!

bartimaeus
    Free Member

The 26″ Rockhoppers and Mykas are available in small sizes – I’ve just got a 13″ Rockhopper for my 11 year old. Not sat him on it yet, but it measures up fine. They come up second hand relatively regularly – as complete bikes. We tried some 15″ womens frames and they looked OK – e.g. a Boardman MTB Comp Fi (tried the old version, not the new one).

gusamc
    Free Member

mrs is 4ft 10, Spec Myka 13 – also has benefit of drop curved TT, if you’re SEish (Reading/Faringdon) she can prob have a sit etc

teasel
    Free Member

For someone so relatively new to here, you don’t half post some crap don’t you!

WTF has that got to do with the price of fish…?!

By your logic, a relative newb would be less prone to spouting crap than, say, an old hand like yourself, yes.

Hilarious stuff…

campfreddie
    Free Member

But its sold now…..

yup.. fraid so… can’t believe i let it go for just £300… total and utter bargain… the frame was teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeny!

letmetalktomark

Thanks all.

Some good suggestions.

It is ideally just a frame I’m after.

Might give OO a call to see when their 14” Scandals might be back in stock.

thekingofsweden

QoS has a Kona Explosif 14″ and she is 5″1 and there is plenty of seatpost sticking out and it has a very sloped top tube.
    As an aside its hardly been ridden as she now rides the road so it might be for sale ?

letmetalktomark

@ thekingofsweden if it were to end up for sale drop me a line – always room for another Kona 🙂

robsoctane
    Free Member

[/url] image by robsoctane, on Flickr[/img]

Pha5e by Maxlight. Very low, short but light. That’s my 8 year old son (at the time) and it’s a bit to big for him as you can see. TT is 20.2 BTW.

duirdh
    Free Member

Muwahahahaa!

Right, that’s it, I’ve had enough! Do I REALLY now HAVE to destroy your pathetic attempt at correcting me mboy

Ever heard of the word “proportion”?
    Given that a 6ft tall male will generally fit a 26″ mtb with a top tube length of 22-24″ proportionately (yes, there’s that word, I do hope you Googled its meaning) a 5ft tall woman would require a top tube length of 18-20″ they’d also require an inch shorter chain stays, shorter cranks and narrower bars
    *proportionately women have a shorter torso and longer legs than men so the top tube length I’ve stated are actually on the generous side.

Off you toddle now and find me a 26″ wheeled mtb with a 19″ top tube, 16″ stays and 165mm cranks..

That’s right, you probably won’t find one, but even if you did there is a very good reason there won’t be any from a major manufacturer and this is because 26″ (or 29) simply won’t work well with such a short wheelbase to work with.
    Thiis is why you see so many short people riding completely wrong sized bikes… Well, this and small person syndrome.

Embrace your size and make full use of VAT free clothing and shoes I say.

If you still feel the need to attempt to correct any of the factual information I’ve given you on the subject, please refrain from making any personal insults, it’s simply not nice and makes you look like an unintelligent bitter little man.

campfreddie
    Free Member

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/talon.3.w/9365/49951/#geometry

XS (14″) has 21.25″ tt, 16.7″ chainstay, stumpy stem, shorter cranks (170mm though, although XT are available in 165mm) and so on.

it works perfectly well with 26″ and is perfectly well suited to a proportionally dimensioned 5’0″ (+/-) female

my wife was 5’2″ and rode it with a stack of seatpost showing, a much longer stem than standard and another 20mm of fork travel. at 5’0″, it would be great right out of the box

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab is 5′, and loves her wee Cannondale XS F900SL hardtail. Secondhand bargain off here (£225). Light, fast, good standover and short reach, but seems to avoid toe overlap. Ace thing.
    FWIW, it may be worth looking at a Isla bikes Beinn 26 – eldest_oab son has one, and similar shape to the cannondale, just with shorter stem…

Cannondale F900SL by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Callender Estates ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Loch Ard Ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Edit: I do think druidh is onto something – a bit like 6’+ is usually a better fit on 29er I think, I also think below 5′ would be better on a 24″. As with all things though, these are guidelines and ideas…As an example, mrs_oab finds the Islabike and out Trek too short for her…To be exactly 5′ as mrs_oab is or 6′ exactly as I am, is about where the swap to different wheels makes sense (I think).
    Eldest on 26″ Islabike @4’10”.

Carron Valley by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    However, middle_oab (who is about .25″ shorter than elder brother) on a 24″ looks like this…

Comrie Croft pump jump track by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

Kinesis do “youngster/female” frames which might fit the bill, slacker HA too that avoids toe overlap

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/junior-female-fit

campfreddie
    Free Member

you got that cannondale for £225?!?… all of it???!?

that is stupidly good value.

i have exactly the same frame in a larger size (same Caad5, F900Sl, even the same paint job)… the Caad5 is pretty much the lightest alloy (USA-made) frame they did before they started to get scared and bulked them back up again (quite a few did fail as they were scarily light for what they are).

i got rid of the headshock on mine, fitted reducer cups and then realised that if you put a 29er fork on there (not the one in the pic below), the geometry remained the same as standard.

i’ve just sent the frame in for a new paintjob as i just can’t bear to part with it… it’s a keeper!

matt_outandabout

duirdh – careful….

matt_outandabout

Bargain eh Campfreddie? It was from some racer girl in Manchester, it even came just serviced with new pads, chain and block and headshock service……………! She wanted a good home for it as much as cold hard mahoney.

mboy
    Free Member

Check this out…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-frame-aluminium-14-22-available-three-colours-FREE-HEADSET-AND-SEATCLAMP-/251181524432?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item801a34ee5a

They’re the same frames as the old Dirty Jo/Handsome Dog/Brand X, and at £105 including a cartridge bearing headset, they’re pretty good value too. Can confirm that the 18″ version I bought for my ex GF (she’s quite a bit taller) only had a 22.5″ TT, but was nice and light and had good geometry. Think the 14″ has a 20.5″ TT.

Off you toddle now and find me a 26″ wheeled mtb with a 19″ top tube, 16″ stays and 165mm cranks..

😆

I’ll say the same to you regarding 24″ wheeled MTB’s. They all tend to still have 16.5″ stays, a 21″ TT, and 170mm cranks. They’re also heavy, cheap and nasty for the mostpart! Wheelsize isn’t the issue here.

That’s right, you probably won’t find one, but even if you did there is a very good reason there won’t be any from a major manufacturer and this is because 26″ (or 29) simply won’t work well with such a short wheelbase to work with.
    Thiis is why you see so many short people riding completely wrong sized bikes… Well, this and small person syndrome.

I’d totally disagree with you actually. I see plenty of people riding bikes too small for them cos they’ve been told by people the likes of you, that they are in effect a child, and need a childs sized bike! Are we not allowed to let the individual decide what feels comfortable to themselves?

takisawa2

This is the 15″ Spesh Hotrock I built for my Wife. She’s about 5’2″.
    It fits her a treat. It has carbon Exotic rigids now. Best thing is the weight, at about 22lbs. A mate borrowed it for the day last year (just a canal tow-path ride from work), so I stuck a longer stem on it. He liked how light it was.

15″ Specialized Hotrock by pten2106, on Flickr

This is the 13″ Hotrock I’ve picked up for my son (who’s 7), but he’s still a good year off riding it as it is yet. Have some Exotics to go on this too, need a 40mm stem & a disc hub so I can put some spare Juicy’s on for him. I have looked at building him some 24″ wheels to run on it for now but cant find any decent lightweight 24″ rims, plus he’s not physically big enough to handle a big that big yet.

IMAG0109 by pten2106, on Flickr

I can see where the 24″ wheel thing is coming from, & if decent 24″ kit was available then I’d agree, but unless you want heavy jump-bike type stuff; decent lightweight 24″ size kit is rare. I picked up an old Scott 24″ for my neice some years back & its great. Just like a 26″ but every dimension scaled down.

gonzy
    Free Member

out of curiosity i measured my hardtail last night and this is what it measured at:
    frame size – 14inch
    top tube – 22inch
    chainstay length – 16inch

can be run of either 24″ or 26″.
    the OP might want to look at something like this.

TiRed

A 14″ Kona Blast will fit. Now replaced with a Giant Talon 1 W in XS. These were for my 4’9″ son. I think there are some very good small 26″ options. I also think that a 24″ bike can be suitable, it’s just harder to find them with good spec and light weight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘X Small/Small 26'' Wheel Frame Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.