Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • X-Fusion slant tried to kill me
  • ponderingpanda
    Free Member

I undid the air valve cover on my slants to adjust the pressure. Whilst doing this I started to hear a hissing – foolishly I carried on unscrewing the cap. Eventually I reached the end of the thread and it flew off at speed narrowly missing my forehead and placing a small dent in the ceiling!

Turns out the valve core is contained within a double threaded aluminium carrier which itself threads into the uppers and the aluminium dust cap/cover. If the thread is slightly looser on the forks than the cover then it can come free before being de-pressurised.

I think the short term answer is to put a couple of drops of thread lock onto this component before refitting, but the moral is – if you hear hissing, stop!

Even if I’ve been a bit thick somehow, this seems to be a serious and potentially dangerous design fault. This should not be able to happen, even by mistake!

bikeneil
    Free Member

foolishly I carried on unscrewing the cap. 

I think the thread title is mis-leading. It should read “lack of knowledge and not knowing what I’m doing nearly killed me”!

ponderingpanda
    Free Member

I was simply undoing the air dust cap to adjust the pressure – it should not be this perilous!

matt_outandabout

X-fusion a replacement for bombers? I can’t see it personally…

scaredypants

bah, only came here for a bombers joke

if it hadn’t been for those pesky kids, …. 👿

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘X-Fusion slant tried to kill me’ is closed to new replies.