Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • X-Fusion Hilo top seal removal
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Bought a 27.2 fusion hilo on the cheap, needed a service so I stripped out the lowers, bled, pumped up and was working great. Left in hte garage (not mounted in a bike) and when I went back.. it’s squashy, not a lot of air pressure, etc etc etc.

So… proper service time! However, cannot get that top dust seal off at all! Bought a strap wrench – broken it! Tried with an old inner tube and grips… scratched the lowers! Any advice on removing a particularly stubborn seal cap that for some stupid reason… doesn’t have flat edges like the reverb!!!

benpinnick

Give Liam at Upgrade a call. He’s a helpful chap who will see you right I am sure.

jimw
    Free Member

I’ve never tried, but this video suggests a strap wrench should do it?

http://www.xfusionshox.com/service/service-videos.html

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Yeah tried that… broke the strap wrench! Got an email back from Liam saying they are a bit tough, and basically you need a ridiculously clean cap, and a GOOD very clean strap wrench. Looks like it’s down to my local shop and hope they’ve got one there!

djtom
    Free Member

Mine has started doing this. It’s the tiny o-rings sealing the plunger that’s activated when you pull the lever that are leaking. I haven’t yet been able to find replacements, and I think they’ll need to be a bit fatter than the old ones as I have a feeling the recess in which they sit is worn 🙁 You can hear an air leak and there’s a small amount of oil ejected from around the seal.

The top dust seal cap wasn’t too much of an issue on mine – I wrapped it in an old toestrap and put it in a vice. Turning the saddle managed to get it loosened without too many issues.

wwaswas

*reported*

falkirk-mark

Slight hijack does anyone know where I can get spares for my hilo (the part you screw the lever onto )
    Cheers Mark

I got mine off with stilsons and an old tube (did scratch the top cap)

mbqwerty
    Free Member

It’s the tiny o-rings sealing the plunger that’s activated when you pull the lever that are leaking. I haven’t yet been able to find replacements, and I think they’ll need to be a bit fatter than the old ones as I have a feeling the recess in which they sit is worn You can hear an air leak and there’s a small amount of oil ejected from around the seal.

Yeah I thought that might be the case on mine as it’s when the lever is depressed you can hear a bit of air escaping. I’ll try get some o-rings from somewhere if they’re shot, could just need a good clean out. Just need to get that cap off first!

What’s the reported thing about??

wwaswas

What’s the reported thing about??

there was a spam post that’s now been deleted.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

there was a spam post that’s now been deleted.

ah fair enough, missed that bit!

wwaswas

it’s frustrating when that happens – try and avoid the mods getting a flood of reports and end up looking daft for putting a random ‘*reported*’ in the midlle of a thread 🙂

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Success! Had to go down to LBS and use their vice and some hard rubber tubing! But got it off pretty easily with that! Now going to see what state those seals are in!

eulach

HiLo service

There’s a good fox shock service article on there too if you’ve got an old RPxx. Thank you Mr Fox.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Yeah used that and the xfusion service video. A little bit confused though… There was a floating O-ring in the main bit (not the shaft) that wasn’t attached to anything. It looks remarkably similar in size to the one on the left of that photo, but there doesn’t appear to be anywhere logical for it to go. There’s already an o-ring on the top cap thread (where it appears the line is pointing from that picture in the guide) so I’m still left with this random floating O-Ring!!

falkirk-mark

Think the o ring is a bump stop for when the post is put fully down.

monkeyboyjc

The top seal (collet) is a pain to remove on the first service – I also broke my strap wrench. Had better luck with an inner tube and pipe wrench.
    Parts are avaliable from the US. I bought the ‘better’ seal kit from eBay (item # 291200923516). Comes with all of the o rings and a tighter dust wiper.
    You can also but a full top coller on amazon iirc.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Think the o ring is a bump stop for when the post is put fully down.

Internal or external bump stop?

mbqwerty
    Free Member

You know what… I think you’ve hit the nail on the head! It’s been bugging me for ages, it’s exactly the inner shaft diameter, makes complete sense. That’s been bugging me for ages!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘X-Fusion Hilo top seal removal’ is closed to new replies.