Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • WWSTD
  • Jossie

Just realised I’ve made a bit of a booboo this morning, I have a interview this afternoon but have managed to put on different trousers to my suit jacket. It’s not immediately obvious but there is a definite difference as one is plain grey and the other a similar sort of grey with a faint black check in it.

What would Singletrack do?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Go jacketless and apologise; blame a colleague for spilling coffee or similar.

Keeping wearing a mismatched suit suggests lack of attention to detail.

Good luck

thecaptain
    Free Member

Sling the suit jacket over your shoulder casual style. Less likely to notice the colour clash that way.

Note: I haven’t worn a suit in (mumble) years and never regularly so this may be bollocks.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Go jacketless and apologise; blame a colleague for spilling coffee or similar.

Go trouserless and don’t apologise. Blame Kylie for her impatient lust.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

grab a pencil and draw a faint black check in the other garment, sorted

nickjb
    Free Member

Get a job where you don’t need to wear a suit. HTH 8)

Jossie

Just been out to my car just to double check and I am wearing the matching trousers, it’s just not the one I thought it was.

I might go with the trouserless idea though as an ice breaker.

dannyh
    Free Member

Could go either way, the trouserless option.

Could be the best ice breaker ever, or could (more likely) end up making you look a bit ‘Colin Hunt’.

Or you might end up on some sort of register.

perchypanther
    Free Member

you might end up on some sort of register.

oldnpastit

Do people still wear suits to interviews?

nickhit3
    Free Member

“Coming up next on Mid Morning Matters after the traffic and travel”

Pook

Turn the lights off when you walk in

Jossie

Construction is stuck in the 80s, so suits are required unfortunately.

DezB
    Free Member

Mostly just men. And if they want the job.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Construction is stuck in the 80s, so suits are required unfortunately.

If it’s an interview for a QS job, just tell him you got a 15% discount on the jacket and the job’s yours.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If its a BIM job just tell them anything you like and add

“Because BIM”

Jossie

No its estimating – so its a best guess based on very little information and in little time, while the client thinks about it 12 months.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just tell them you estimated your choice of outfit and not to worry about it.

The QS will sort it all out if you actually get the job.

Stoner
    Free Member

The QS will sort it all out if you actually get the job.

The QS will be hiding in a closet as their estimate was so far out….

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’d carry on as you are. If it’s obvious someone clocks it, just be honest. It’s an ice breaker type approach.
    If they’re going to make the call based on a pretty irrelevant detail like that then I wouldn’t be interested in working for them. If they even notice, don’t care because it’s an irrelevant detail and continue assessing if you’re right for them and visa versa and they remember you as the guy with the odd jacket, great; they’ve remembered you.
    You’ve made the effort (and made an irrelevant, daft mistake) to present yourself in the expected way within your industry, anyone who makes more of it than that is missing the point of the interview. IMO of course.

Coyote
    Free Member

Always better to err on the side of caution in my experience. No-one ever got marked down for not wearing one.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If they’re going to make the call based on a pretty irrelevant detail like that then I wouldn’t be interested in working for them.

What if the difference between a good estimator and a bad one is the ability to pick up on seemingly irrelevant details?

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

What if the difference between a good estimator and a bad one is the ability to pick up on seemingly irrelevant details?

What if the difference between a good estimator and a bad one is the ability to pick up on on seemingly irrelevant details and then make the decision of how relevant it is and justify it? 🙂

I accept your point percy. People getting hung up on what to wear to an interview irks me a little though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

seemingly irrelevant details?

percy

Quod Erat Demonstrandum 😉

You’ve made the error of assuming that what is irrelevant to one person is viewed as irrelevant by another.

No job for you in your mismatched trousers.

footflaps

Keeping wearing a mismatched suit suggests lack of attention to detail.

Surely that’s ideal for the building trade?

If they mention it, just say you’ll add it to the snagging report….

vickypea
    Free Member

Keep moving and don’t stay still for long enough for them to notice the difference in fabric. Sorted!

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

No job for you in your mismatched trousers.

I didn’t want your damn job anyway. The wallpaper in the interview room was shit.

ads678

Surely the OP will be sat at a desk for the interview, having been shown there by the receptionist. Unless he’s one of those guys who stands with his leg up on a chair thrusting, the interviewer won’t have much chance to check his trousers!

And from what I’ve seen as a Civil Engineer, smart dressing in the construction industry is mostly a clean jumper any way, so the OP shouldn’t worry too much.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I didn’t want your damn job anyway

We thank for you interest in this thread and wish you every success in your future forum posting. 😉

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Don’t tell me; my details will be kept on record and you’ll be in contact should a suitable opportunity for me and my questionable attire arise, you will be in touch? I’ll look forward to it.

spawnofyorkshire

“Because BIM”

This nearly produced a coffee+keyboard interface

(Client side, currently involved in buying a big building)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t tell me; my details will be kept on record

Nope.

As soon as you called me Percy, I fired your application straight into the bin. The trousers were just the icing on the cake. 🙂

As an aside, I really hope that the OP isn’t the estimator i’m interviewing at 5 pm tonight. That would be unfortunate indeed.

allthegear
    Free Member

Wearing a suit once in a while for an interview or first meeting with a client is a treat. Why would you not want to dress up smart occasionally??

Rachel

Jakester
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    As an aside, I really hope that the OP isn’t the estimator i’m interviewing at 5 pm tonight. That would be unfortunate indeed.

😀

oldnpastit

Coyote – member

Always better to err on the side of caution in my experience. No-one ever got marked down for not wearing one.

I’ve been to an interview where I was marked up for not wearing one.

footflaps

and how did it go?

Jossie

Ok I think, but my spidey sense is tingling as something felt off. Not quite sure what, it maybe that I currently work in an office 3 times the size of theirs but with a third of people or the look on his face when I told him how much I am currently on.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘WWSTD’ is closed to new replies.