• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • WW Layback seatpost 31.6x350mm
  • adsh
    Free Member

My KCNC SCPro Layback post needs replacing as the old style clamp won’t hold and the shaft has corroded. It weighed 174g

Looking for a 31.6×350 replacement for racing XC. Any suggestions? Definitely need layback 1.5cm or so and a decent clamp with reasonable surface area so as not to risk buckling the rails.

Not in AX lightness expense category!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There are plenty of light weight layback options out there, although alot of them use some sort of shitty one bolt clamp like that KCNC.

For a decent two bolt set up; have a look at Deda; super zero or the even lighter one (can’t remember it’s name).

ferrals
    Free Member

Don’t think you can get better than the Thompson masterpiece and (on CRC when I bought mine) its not much difference price wise than the KCNC. Plus you get the bent tube for the 16mm layback which i think looks good. Weight for 30.9 350mm was 180ish g on my kitchen scales IIRC.

looking at 31.6 post for my new frame I can’t find much lighter, incl. carbon

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Here you go: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-superleggero-rs-seatpost/

Plus it doesn’t look stupid with like the Thomson with the kink in it.

adsh
    Free Member

Seen some bad reviews about the Deda clamping. Agree the Thomson Masterpiece is light and well made but each to his own I hate the dogleg….

ATM the Easton EC90 offset looks high quality but rather expensive for 200g 🙁

onandon
    Free Member

Buy a Thomson and ditch the stupid and heavy clamps.
    Used two kcnc style yokes and you’ll be impressed at the weight saved.

The only thing with Thomson is they don’t like to flex so can be quite harsh after a normal round ( inner ) seatpost.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Seen some bad reviews about the Deda clamping.

From who? People who have the inability to tighten two bolts correctly? Have used all sorts of two bolt seat posts, including Deda, the clamps on none of them have ever presented a problem.

ferrals
    Free Member

I was really surprised at the weight to cost ratio of easton seatposts – shame as i have easton stem and bars and it would be nice for it all to match 😳

adsh
    Free Member

One on CRC and one elsewhere. Coming from the pain of a slipping clamp (while racing) I’m a bit paranoid about ensuring it’s up to the job.

Harsh doesn’t matter – it’s FS

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Judging by the amount of common sense the average CRC/Wiggle reviewer has; it wouldn’t put me off. It’s two bolts; tighten one at the front then one at the rear. Job done. Can’t see where the problem is TBF.

I have just read a review of the Fizik seatpost on Wiggle where the reviewer was moaning due to the fact you have to loosen the rear bolt to allow you to adjust the angle with the wheel thingy. WELL I **** NEVER! Says it all. The Fizik ones are pretty heavy though.

Deda Superzero is what I’ve got atm’ lgiht and secure. Stick some ti bolts on it.

I don’t know why I’m typing this, frustration with the human race on a friday afternoon I think.

adsh
    Free Member

Thanks – I appreciate it. Just to check you’re using it on an MTB and aren’t a flyweight midget? 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Buy a Thomson and ditch the stupid and heavy clamps.

This by far. The kink looks good on your Spearfish too so win win!

I have a SMUD carbon cradle, POP upper Yokes and Ti bolts that’ll knock about 40g off a Masterpiece and take it down to ~150g if anyone is interested?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks – I appreciate it. Just to check you’re using it on an MTB and aren’t a flyweight midget?

6’3″ and about 75kg; so neither a midget or flyweight. It’s currently on a road bike. I run alot of exposed post aswell. Although have used an old one on an mtb. Never had issues with any. A full sus xc will probably be less harsh on a seatpost than a road bike, especially since I have a tendancy to ride over pot holes 😉

But seriously, I don’t care what you buy, just trying to help!

Plus thomsons look ****.

Coupel of leftfield options for you: Syntace P6 Hiflex and a Cannondale C1 alloy, both can often be had for pittance on ebay and both are solid and reasonably light. Would need ti bolts and bits added to get them super light though I think.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

FML; you can tell I’ve spent the majority of my adult life searching for the perfect seatpost.

njee20
    Free Member

New Ultimate are nice, not silly money. My 27.2×300 is 121g, don’t recall the 30.9 being much heavier, c130g.

DanW
    Free Member

Not layback though???? Plenty of £50 125-135g straight seatposts on eBay

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘WW Layback seatpost 31.6x350mm’ is closed to new replies.