Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Wunundred! But what's the furthest you've ridden in a day?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Longest for me is about 55 miles on-road (and I did a 50+ miler the day before as well). Still some way from doing a 100 mile day though!

mossimus
    Free Member

Just over 100 on road, 80 off road. PLanning on doing Dunwich Dynamo this year though so hopefully increase the road score.

richmars

Off road: last years Kielder 100, which was a bit more then 100 miles.
    On road: 150Km (93 miles), the bike section of Zofingen Powerman Duathlon (with about 25 miles runing as well).

wallace1492
    Free Member

104 miles on road for the Trossach’s ton, including to and from parked car to start/finish. But harder than that was 97 miles from Torriden to Ullpaool with full luggage including tent, camping equipment etc. Roads up West Cost are not very flat…..

Most on MTB is 65, but that did include some tarmac.

Aim to better both this year.

nedrapier

On road: 115 miles Corsham to Burton-on-Trent on mtb w semi slicks and panniers
    Off road, just over 100 (I think/hope!) – Winchester – Shoreham – Guildford.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Nice! Was that a mixed pair? I remember a couple camped next to me a couple of years ago when I was riding solo did really well. If it wasn’t you then ignore me! (but still impressed)

Most of my long rides have been on the road – I used to be quite into long tours and audaxes, so the longest I’ve done in a day probably would have been a 300k audax (180 miles ish I think). I mostly used to do 200s though, much less silly.

Much more tiring was a spur-of-the-moment 100 mile round trip to see a glacier that was way off my planned route on a Norwegian tour, with full luggage. That was, in hindsight, a bit foolhardy (ended up with ice in my shoe and losing a few toenails)

When I was a student in Plymouth I used to ride home to Bristol for the weekend a few times, over Dartmoor to Exeter then up the old A38. I think it was around 130 miles by that route. I used to be able to do it in a bit over 8 hours on a good day – doubt I could now though.

I don’t know how people manage to do those sort of distances day after day after day, at race speed.

Off road I don’t think I’ve done more than 60 in a day (but I’m usually on one wheel for that…)

Rob

peteimpreza

Etape 2005

179km and then I had to cycle the 25km back to my car.

200km on a club Audax.

campfreddie
    Free Member

having spent the spring riding 25-30 mile loops on my mountain bike, i’m due to head out to geneva in two weeks to do a loop of the lake… this works out at approx 175km and the plan is to do it non-stop.

i think it will probably kill me… i’ve never ridden that far, even when i was superfit back in the old days… worse still, i’m at le mans next weekend, so will still be suffering the effects.

69er
    Free Member

109 miles. Going over the Col du Glandon, Col du Telegraphe, Col du Galibier and finishing on Alpe d’Huez.

Not my longest road ride, but it was 😉 . La Marmotte, real mountain biking!

Pieface

98 miles on a fully loaded MTB tourer on my last day (plus a bit) of the C2C (mainly on road but I did take the off-road Rookhope incline option)- I got lost finding a campsite on the outskirts of Consett after finishing in Sunderland. Its funny, I remember looking at the computer at about 70 miles thinking ‘I feel good to do another 30 miles’ when I thought the campsite was only round the corner.

weedwizard
    Free Member

100 miles off road. My sholders hurt more than my legs after it as well.

5lab

150 miles on road (cardiff-crowthorne overnight)

120 miles off road (clic 24 a few years ago)

crazy-legs

Nice! Was that a mixed pair? I remember a couple camped next to me a couple of years ago when I was riding solo did really well. If it wasn’t you then ignore me! (but still impressed)

No, we did Men’s Pairs. we were camped next to a team-mate of ours who was doing it solo and his wife pit-bitched for us too.
    All I can say is that I’m glad I was on a full-sus. 200 miles off-road round Catton Park did horrible things to my arse, legs and back.

BermBandit
    Free Member

140 miles single speed while a bit pissed.

Last years Dunwich Dynamo I got grounded by the fun police due to a family BBQ. About 9:30ish everyone had gone home, so a cunning plan formed up in my beer addled brain in the way that strange things make sense when you are a bit bevied up. That was to ride from my gaff to Sudbury to meet the lads at halfway. Suffered a puncture enroute and while fixing it the lads whistled past unbeknown to me (as they were unexpectedly leading the pack). Carried on to Sudbury and a bit beyond, eventually realised I’d missed them so turned round and rode to Dunwich, then the lack of planning started to kick in when I realised that I’d got to get home too, so then rode back to the far side of Ipswich.

Can’t claim it as non stop, as I stopped and waited at Sudders, then called in at Puddledodgers place at Hemingstone for bacon, and frankly had a few moments considering the widsom of my decison making sitting on barrier on the A12 somewhere between Dunwich and Ipswich….but thats furthest to date, and its not recommended.

scaredypants

about 250 miles – coastal circuit of Mallorca

not too bad overall but pedalo sprang a leak at about 200 (kids panicked a bit but we were OK in the end)

Rorschach
    Free Member

9 laps at 10@kirroughtree 145km offroad.191km on the road solo,which only took me 6 1/2hours somehow 😯

vinnyeh

140 oddish miles on the road counting riding to the start and back to the station at the end for the Dunwich Dynamo- at night of course, and in the pissing rain for most of it.

121 km Bucks off road sportive.

corroded
    Free Member

Done the Etape a few times; they were about 130 miles. Which is probably about equivalent to 80 miles offroad.

Tiger6791

150 Miles, on road (240KM)
    100 Miles, off road (160KM)

andrewh
    Free Member

Longest one day rides:

Road 316 miles
    Road 214 miles

Off road 216 miles
    Off road 214 miles
    Off road 165 miles (lots of climbing in the off road ones!)

Furthest semi-regular ride is South Lincolnshire to Reading, around 140 miles. Tend to have a short day before I ride back.

Furthest on the singlespeed in one day (MTB, 32/12 with bald nobblies, but ridden on tarmac) 87 miles. Only 40mins slower than the same journey on the road bike.

[EDIT] ‘Day’ in this context is a continuous period of 24 consecutive hours, these may be over two callendar days, eg midday Saturday to midday Sunday is counted as one day.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Road:berkhamsted to hull 205miles though the bit of a wander through the alps which included the Madelane twice,croix de fer,col de glandon and a few others 165miles 20k feet of climbing I think will be my all time high.

Offroad: SDW

gee
    Free Member

253 miles, Mayhem solo 2006.

202 miles, South Downs Double.

Only ever managed 153 on the road.

GB

Dickyboy

Road – 150 miles Straford u Avon to Snowdon on a single speed when I was a silly 15yo.
    Offroad – 135 miles my first solo Mayhem last year when I was a silly 45yo – notes Gees mileage above & shudders.
    Once turned up for a medical in Nottingham after cycling the 140 miles there, the medical didn’t last that long once I got them to believe me 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

820 miles. Switzerland to Farnborough.

That was on a motorbike, but fek did that hurt!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Longest one day rides:

Road 316 miles
    Road 214 miles

Off road 216 miles
    Off road 214 miles
    Off road 165 miles

Ladies and Gentlemen; we have a winner.

You are absolutely mental. You need locking up for your own safety. 😯

316 miles in one day??? That’s insane.

Some right nutters on here. Props to those doing mad long distances with luggage or over Alps and that. You’re not right in the head…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

60m off/on road around The Quantocks and Exmoor – did not include Dunkery Beacon. Was filthy, soaked and chapped at the end. Would do again.

50m on country roads in Somerset most years. And again this weekend – hopefully will be glorious and looking forward to it now I have road bike to do it on.

Dickyboy

Some right nutters on here

I picked up a copy of some audax magazine at my brothers once – thats where all the right nutters are, he managed something like 430 miles in 24hrs & also think he did a 300km ride on a BMX bike once 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not right though are they, people like that?

You’d think the government would do something about it; try to help these poor souls.

I blame Thatcher…

Dickyboy

Def not right in the head – lots of evidence of the nutters in a Paris Brest Paris video I was forced to watch a couple of years back…

BillMC

50 mile Marin Rough Ride
    100 on the road

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Must admit I felt a warm glow, telling people in Brighton we’d come from London, cycling all the way…

Then read some of this and I might as well have not bothered. 😐

sprocker
    Free Member

did the lord of the loops out of the dark peak guide. 115km on the sat nav 4089m of ascent, enjoyed the first 6 hours second 12 was a bit of a bind.

DavidB
    Free Member
    simondbarnes

202km for me, about 7.5 hours pedalling.

I nearly got to Wales! by simondbarnes, on Flickr

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

120 miles Road. Not a clue off road.

Bez

116 on road, once unladen last week and once with panniers in the Alps (surrounded by a few other similar days).

50 or so off road – never really do massive MTB rides.

Target for 14 months’ time is >240 miles (road) in a day… seems a bit daunting at the moment.

simondbarnes

Target for 14 months’ time is >240 miles in a day… seems a bit daunting at the moment

Are you building up to do a 12 hour TT?

Bez

Heh, no, 24hr see-how-far-you-get. 240 in 12? Pfffffffffffffftt! I’m only just knocking on 30 in 1.5!

wingnuts

In 1972 I did an amazing day. Rode from home to start of the Stoke Llangollen Stoke 100m reliability trial (training race) then home. The trial was done in 4 hours and I won the sprint for the Llangollen sign from Phil Griffiths (in the year he won the silver at the Commonwealth Games) and Les West (4th at pro world champs in 1970) My greatest moment on a bike!!!! (other than getting back from the pub tonight)

That was 160 miles but like a fool I rode into Brum for a family do and home after that. It amounted to 240 in the day and I was buzzing by the end of it. Didn’t want to stop. A real natural high. I was 18 I think.

Down hill ever since.

drain

Road: 254 full fat, Imperial miles London-Paris – midnight from Trafalgar Square, Arc de Triomphe 23:00 Paris time (so 22:00 UK time).

Off road: Kielder last year, 100 miles (although by all accounts it was a tad more!).

Got the Ride Across Britain starting next Saturday, 953 miles in 9 days, desperately unfit – eek!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Wunundred! But what's the furthest you've ridden in a day?’ is closed to new replies.