Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Wunundred! But what's the furthest you've ridden in a day?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, until yesterday, the furthest I’d ever done in a day was 80 miles on a road bike. east London to Windsor and back. The magical ton has bin a goal of mine for years now, but never got around to actually doing it. Me and Psychle’s London to Brighton jaunt took me to 101.03 miles according to my cycle computer which is pretty accurate. So, a long-term ambition achieved, and a nice sense of satisfaction having done it. Pretty chuffed today, if a little stiff.

About a couple of miles from home, I did feel that I could possibly do another 10, even 20 miles. Not that I was going to, but I don’t feel I reached my limit of endurance.

Psy’s now on about doing stuff that is quite frankly stupid, but I’m sure there are many people on here who’s achievements in terms of distance put us to shame. TdF boys and girls do silly milage, but then they’re all on drugs and not well.

So what’s your record for most miles in one day?

Oh, and distances in real money please; not silly foreign kilometres muck like Psychle insists on sounds more but isn’t.

bigyinn
    Free Member

80 odd on the road.
    73 odd off road.

hels
    Free Member

250 odd km (sorry don’t know the miles) up and down for a long way then across the Massif Central, for L’Etape du Tour 2004. Jeanie Longo only put an hour into me over the day, was happy with that !

(JL 8.30, Hels 9.30)

Did the St Andrews run up and back in a day once, thats 134 miles I believe.

crazy-legs

South London up to London Fields, Dunwich Dynamo out to Dunwich then rode to Ipswich, train back to London then rode to South London. Then twice round the block to make it up to 200 miles. 😉

Not really sure it counts to be honest given that there was a train ride in there (which I used to catch up on sleep!)

mrben100
    Free Member

Did london to brighton off-road in a british heart foundation charity ride. Distance quoted was 72miles, you must have taken a hell of a detour.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Only about 40 miles…and that was on the road!

That’s all going to change this summer though, lots of epic adventures planned!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

250 odd km (sorry don’t know the miles)

Jeeze, bloody foreigners.. 🙄

That’s 155 miles +. Over very hilly terrain, in nine and a half hours???? 😮

Talk about make a bloke feel inadequate!! 😯

Then twice round the block to make it up to 200 miles

You’re another sicko…

pistonbroke
    Free Member

225.41 Miles in 12 hours, did the National 12 Hour Time Trial in 2009. Most knackering thing I’ve ever done both physically and mentally.

duntstick
    Free Member

I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than ride 100 miles on the road, but off road about 50 miles in winter, was enough

Shibboleth
    Free Member

165 miles on a coast to coast. Set off at 4am and arrived around 5pm. There were a couple of feed stops along the way, probably 10.5-11hrs riding time…

warton
    Free Member

140miles, a coast to coast of sorts.

keeping on having wierd urges to do it once a day for 5 days for charity next year….

xander
    Free Member

Doing Milan San Remo sportive on Sunday. 294km!!

I’ve done Flanders (265km), Prais Roubaix (250km) and Liege (260km) so hoping this will be OK! PR almost counts as off-road as it has 50km of very gnarly (in places)cobbles.

Luminous
    Free Member

Furthest I’ve ridden on a single day is 100 miles.

I raised some money for the British Heart Foundation by completing the Norwich 100.

Did the first 50 in well under 3 hrs, but after the 1/2 hour rest stop they insist you take, my body didn’t want to restart, to do the last fifty. So the 2nd leg was a grind.

Next time I don’t think I’ll be stopping.

🙂

davidjey
    Free Member

Well done, every hundred mile ride still feels like an achievement.

My first was by accident – 20 mile diversion whilst touring round the South West. When I got a road bike I did the Century a Month Challenge on the old Cycling Plus forum – made to September and then broke my collarbone!

Longest rides? 135ish miles a few times from S Wales (home) up to Birmingham (visiting family). Doesn’t really count as one ride but did 180something miles in just over 24 hours last year as part of the Dunwich Dynamo:

Ride from home to Swansea station, train to Paddington
    Ride from Paddington to my mate’s in Edgware
    Ride from Edgware to the start at Hackney
    Hackney to Dunwich overnight
    Dunwich back to Ipswich to get the train back to London*
    Ride from Liverpool St to Paddington, train back to Swansea (first class to ensure some quality sleep!)
    Ride from Swansea station home.

I doubt I’ll improve on that any time soon, although there was talk of stepping up to doing the DD and then just turning round and riding back to London…

_tom_
    Free Member

About 50 miles, pretty weak by most peoples standards.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, I ought to point out that our jaunt was mainly off-road, and although mainly flat, some sections were on loose stuff which does rob your speed a bit. SS too, so we were a bit limited on the fast flat bits. I take it some of these high milage rides are on road bikes, on roads? Does make a big difference in speed and therefore achievable distance covered no doubt.

ransos
    Free Member

118 miles. I joined a bloke on that ride who did 200 miles that day, and 300 in total over the weekend. The previous weekend he’d done 600km on an Audax, with about 2 hours’ sleep.

In summary, 118 miles isn’t very far.

rootes1

123.5 miles on my Brompton – one of 8 days on Lejog – other days were 105-120miles + one day at 70miles

inc luggage and on a 4 gears

such a dream to get back on a road bike after that… soo much quicker

finbar
    Free Member

154 miles. Sheffield-York-Sheffield. We left at 4.30am and got to York in time for breakfast, but the journey back was a bit slower…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(Makes notes of all those who really ought to be detained under the Mental Health Act…)

BoardinBob

An 80 mile canal ride

52 miles proper off road

davidjey
    Free Member

Off road? Does riding round and round in circles count? Furthest must have been SITS as a soloist a number of years ago. I forget the distance but I think just over 120 miles (that’ll be just over 5mph over 24 hours then :(). 90something miles at Brizzle bikefest tomorrow if all goes well.

Also did the SDW in a day thingy once which I think is more or less bang on 100 miles? Only time I’ve ever had proper saddle sores…

anto164
    Free Member

done just under 70 miles on the road bike, and approximately 36 miles on the mtb

Trying to get more 60+ miles on the road bike done this year, and i’m definately going to be doing more mtb distance stuff. Really really really started to enjoy it now i’ve got a more suitable bike (Even if it has got 6.7″ rear suspension!)

Dibbs
    Free Member

108 miles mostly offroad from Plymouth to Minehead across Dartmoor and Exmoor following this:- http://mbruk.co.uk/mbruk_WestcountryWay_details.htm

Keva
    Free Member

not much at all… on the road probably 25mile, don’t do much road cycling. 50mile off road, in Wales. Always feel I could do more miles if I wanted to but 5hours sat on bicycle saddle is more than enough for me and I start automatically steering towards the nearest pub 🙂

Kev

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Just under 90 miles at Hit the North last summer, been up to 60 miles on my road bike this year and 50 off road riding from Bamford to Manchester. Am doing the Keilder this year, so hoping to get over 100 at that and hopefully between now and then on the road as well as part of my prep.

ton

180 miles on the road, butty’s brid trip audax
    102 miles offroad, on a 1 off polaris special thing in the NYM s fair few years ago.

not bad for a fat lad eh Fred?………….. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pretty bloody good, Ton. 😀

crazy-legs

Oh yeah, off-road… SITS as a Pair a few years ago. Got 2nd. 🙂
    I think we both did somewhere in the region of 200 miles. I could barely walk for about 3 days after that.

Again, not sure it counts cos of rest periods, sleep etc (if 3 lots of 20 minute powernaps count as “sleep”) but it was within a 24hr period…

Trekster

Post F&M I was doing 80 – 100ml road rides sometimes 3 x week
    Furthest was a 150ml charidee ride touring all the police stations in the Dumfries district 🙂
    2 x 70 odd ml days a few yrs back, again for charidee, MS. 1st day we started in Windermere by getting the ferry across the Lake and then navigating a route via Walna Scar to Whitehaven. We then rode back via BW around Buttermere, Whinlatter, Keswick,Loughrigg Ter, Ambleside,Jenkyns Cragg, Dubbs Rd and down into Windermere.

LS
    Free Member

250-something in a 12hr TT. 19 years old. Madness 😀

joemc
    Free Member

I’m going to do the vätternrundan in 2 weeks, 300km (186miles) which will be a personal ‘single day, single ride’ record. Hoping for a dry, cool, not windy day

Moses

At age 17, Whitehaven to Stockton on a 5-speed tourer with luggage.
    About 116 miles through the Lake district & across the Pennines.

At 57, dead on 100 miles Reading to Bristol via the Kennet-Avon Canal psychopath and a couple of minor detours.

ton

got to be honest, i love a long distance challenge.
    think i must be a slow twitch kinda guy.

StirlingCrispin

206 miles in 24 hours for me
    (Stirling to Montrose and back)

188 miles if you want to stop counting at midnight
    (Tayside Transgression Audax back in 1999).

beej

135 miles on day 2 of our LEJOG. 960 miles in 8 days total.

Some awesome rides being described – I’d like to do 150 miles fairly soon, and quite fancy road C2C in a day as well.

daveb
    Free Member

Pretty much the same on road and off

107 miles on road (also a 106 miles), this was part of a ride around the islands up by Glencoe, excellent day – the 106 miles was an extension of the Edinburgh – St Andrews thing that happens each year, I cycled back to Kinross.

About 106 or 107 miles off road – Kielder 100 last year, it was a tad over the 100.

franki
    Free Member

My furthest was 130 miles on the road.
    I cycled out to a reliability trial, rode that & home again after.
    That was a loooong time ago now and not an experience I’ll be repeating any time soon. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Twice round the deeside loop – 400k.

Port mahumock to durness and back 300k

Snow roads route 300k
    all on road . Off road a shade under 200 miles roond a course

This years furthest – 100k 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

130 on road, 100 off road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Wunundred! But what's the furthest you've ridden in a day?’ is closed to new replies.