Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • WTF – Trans Provence (what tyres for…)
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Doing the Trans Provence (tour, not race) at the beginning of July and need to buy some new 26″ rubber.

Pretty set on a High Roller 2 2.3 3C TLR on the front. The debate is more about the back.

I’m guessing a semi slick is going to be a silly idea, at which point it’s back to the old favorite High Roller 1 2.35. But LUST, or a dual ply run tubeless?

In the UK, I get on fine with LUSTs – rare I pinch flat, so that would be my normal choice, but I sliced the casing open in 2 runs in Molini, and given the TP terrain is not so far from there, I’m inclined to play it safe and just suffer on the climbs.

Any thoughts from those who’ve done it…?

Thanks!

wiggles
    Free Member

Spesh purgatory 2.3 grid

mactheknife

I’m doing the Trans Savoie this year and have no qualms about running a Hans Damph pacestar on the rear. I’ll have a Magic Mary on the front to cope with my overenthusiastic and under skilled riding 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

Id go with a Chunky Monkey on the rear: survived a week in Molini fine for me (run tubeless) and cheap enough to buy & take a spare. Even if you don’t go with it as your first choice, it makes a good cheap spare

jameso

After 2 days you’ll be tired anyway, 200g on a back tyre makes sod all difference right? But faffing with flats is a PITA. It’s a tough area on tyres, lots of limestone and loose stuff. Rode somewhere similar recently, all the locals were on Maxxis UST, only prob with my Maxxis was an old ‘fixed’ cut opening up, my mate on Schwalbe snakeskins was flat almost daily.

ahsf
    Free Member

Just done a enduro race there last week with a minon front exo 2.5 on back set up tubeless no probs, most locals run tubeless but different tyre choices. What ever you feel good with .

ahsf
    Free Member

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I’m doing the race and was thinking of just using the Maxxis tyres I use most of the year- 2.3 Minion TR EXo 3C on the front, Crossmark Lust 2.3 on the back. Both run tubeless on Crossmax ST’s. Have a 2.3 High Roller 2 same rubber as the minion for when I need more grip at the back, so it’ll be one or the other. Seems a fairly safe option and I’ve not had problems with them (Peaks, Pennines, Lakes, N.Wales etc)

ferrit
    Free Member

Raced it twice, then worked guiding the tour weeks and do the signing each year.

I’ve been fine with LUSTs. LUST are somewhere between single and double-ply. You’ll probably be ok with a HRII as you stated on the front but I’d definitely get a LUST or a dual-ply on the back.

I’ve run:

– LUST 2.35 High Rollers front and rear
    – LUST 2.25 Ardent front, LUST 2.25 Crossmark rear (Clementz ran this when he won it, even when sponsored by Conti – black pen over the MAXXIS logos! Says it all really…)
    – This year, probably will run a 2.3 HRII front, 2.25 Ardent LUST rear.

Maxxis are great tyres, I wouldn’t use anything else.

Have fun!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

tmb467
    Free Member

have a look at the Mavic Charge and Roam XL

dual ply but both under 1kg – the charge is a bit like a magic mary and the roam has a decent fast tread. I’ve been running em for a few rides now and they dont feel heavy and are very good in the dry (not tried em in the mud or wet tho and apparently the roam can be very slippy in these conditions)

I’ve found that the rear does drift a bit but its very predictable

not cheap tho but if you know someone who’s bought the enduro wheelset (hubs, rims & tyres) then they may be sell you them at mates rates

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘WTF – Trans Provence (what tyres for…)’ is closed to new replies.