Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • WTF Nosy neighbour content
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

One of the rear tyres on my car is just about on the wear limit, as I’ve been away the past few weekends I was going on Saturday morning to replace it. It’s still legal but not long and the car hasn’t been off the driveway since Sunday as I ride to work and my wife uses the small car round town.

Got home from a lovely ride and my wife told me the neighbour across the road has been across to tell her one of the tyres looks a bit worn and yuh could get a £300 fine yuh know.

She told me I flipped in a ‘**** nosey bastard who the **** does the prick think he is’, she found my reaction unacceptable

Thoughts on this nneighbours actions please.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Depends on what sort of neighbour he generally is.

Generally a good bloke, he’s just trying to be a good bloke. Generally a nobber….

SaxonRider

I hate that sort of busybody-ism.

I remember when I first moved to the UK, and there was one old guy that used to inform me when my tax disc was only a couple of weeks away from expiring. But he wasn’t telling me in a nice way. He was lecturing me.

Those are the sort of people that get mad at children for ‘walking through the daffodils’ in the local park, or climbing trees, or whatever.

Your neighbour should sod off.

Drac

Yeah you have issues.

Gary_M
    Free Member

He’s alright but constantly parks his car ON THE PAVEMENT across the back of our drive and is generally quite inconsiderate,

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeah you have issues.

Yawn, only with you. And you need to get over it.

giantalkali
    Free Member

what if you ran over a paedophile with your bald death trap tyres?

Kryton57

what if you ran over a paedophile with your bald death trap tyres?

…whilst drinking a diet coke, in Aberdeen…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Or a kids face

nickdavies

In fairness, you could get a fine, and they’ve spotted it and been good enough to tell you in case you hadn’t realised… I’d agree with your wife unless they were generally nobby neighbours.

My neighbour knocked on my door the other night and told me I had a flat tyre. She said sorry she hadn’t mentioned it earlier as she saw it the night before, but I’d been out in the car when she got back from work. I’d driven 40 miles on it on a dual carriageway and not noticed… it was flat enough to knacker a rim on a pothole so they’re not all knobs.

simondbarnes

Your reaction does sound unacceptable, I think your wife was right 🙂

Seems like a nice thing for the neighbour to do.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The other day I was riding home on the motorbike when I came to a mini roundabout I know well. A car coming the other way wasn’t indicating so I kept going and he turned right in front of me causing me to brake. I thought he was an arse at that point.
    As I went round behind him I noticed his rear indicator WAS flashing but very quickly, which I know means there’s a bulb out. So I flipped round and followed him for a mile or so until he stopped at some lights. I pulled alongside and motioned for him to wind the window down. Not everyone will do this for a motorcyclist as they think we’re all dicks, but he did.
    I pointed out that his indicator wasn’t working and that’s why I’d pulled in front of him and then I’d noticed he must have a bulb out. He said, yes, I know, it’s just happened today and I’m off to get a bulb on my way home. We apologised to each other, waved and went on our ways.
    Either of us could have been an arse. But neither were.
    I suggest you give your neighbour the benefit of the doubt and chill out a bit. He sounds like a decent bloke to me……
    🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

In fairness, you could get a fine, and they’ve spotted it and been good enough to tell you in case you hadn’t realised… I’d agree with your wife unless they were generally nobby neighbours.

A fine for what exactly?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hoof…..

Slats

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Turn the volume to 11 and play…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zedq1VhaS90[/video]

Oh, nosy, not noisy. 😳

iainc

How could he see it was worn from the other side of the road ? Surely he must have come across and had a good look at it at some stage, which is a bit odd….

Gary_M
    Free Member

No idea Iain. Said he noticed as he was PARKING HIS CAR ON THE PAVEMENT opposite our driveway.

thepurist

Surely he must have come across and had a good look at it at some stage, which is a bit odd….

Maybe his telescope slipped out of alignment?

nickdavies

A fine for what exactly?

Tyre below minimum legal tread depth is up to £2500 fine and 3 points. Might not have been illegal but you may not have noticed and it could have gone on to be, they wouldn’t know you’d seen it and planned to change it.

sirromj

Does he know who you are?

perchypanther
    Free Member

he was PARKING HIS CAR ON THE PAVEMENT opposite our driveway.

Probably to make it easier to load up your wife’s suitcase when they run away together. 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Take a pic of his car parked on the pavement and drop it in his letter box.

tthew

You’d probably be grateful if Mr Nosy Neighbour saw someone breaking into your house and called the police.

‘Aye, I’m getting it done on Saturday but cheers for letting me know’ would have been the correct response. Don’t you have better things to worry about than people keeping an eye out around the ‘hood, even if you don’t want it?

yossarian
    Free Member

Maybe his telescope slipped out of alignment?

spotting bald tires wasnt his primary goal imo.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Probably to make it easier to load up your wife’s suitcase when they run away together.

Don’t think his male partner would be happy about that.

‘Aye, I’m getting it done on Saturday but cheers for letting me know’ would have been the correct response.

but I wasn’t there.

And the tyre isn’t illegal in any way.

I’ve been away the past 5 weekends, home this one and away the next 3 so that’s why I’m getting it done on Saturday.

GrahamS

Seems like a nice thing for the neighbour to do.

Same here. Don’t really understand the OP’s issue to be honest. If my neighbour said that to me I’d probably just say “yeah thanks. It’s booked in this weekend”

Kryton57

Take a pic of his car parked on the pavement and drop it shit in his letter box

Edited to reflect escalation requirement asked of by the op.

shakers97
    Free Member

Bloody cheek if you ask me. I had a similar incident a few years ago. It was 3am in the morning and my nosy neighbour was banging my door down and shouting at the top of his voice. Turns out my house was on fire and yeah I guess technically his actions saved me and my family from burning to death but bloody cheek. Who do these busy bodies think they are taking the trouble to bring things to our attention that may cause death, injury or financial loss. Where do these people get off? He clearly knew somehow that you had spotted it already.

kayak23

I think in the olden days, neighbours probably did things like this. They may have been slightly nosey but you accepted that the things were often meant in a kind spirited way.

It’s not the olden days now though so you are right to kick off, ask for advice on the internet, be suspicious of him and wee in his shoes or something. 😉

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned worn tyres to mates a few times over the years, they haven’t always known so it’s saved them a potential fine. But I wouldn’t do it to someone I didn’t know well.

Saying that you may want to keep the neighbour on side if he’s good at spotting unusual stuff in the street. Think of him as your quirky foot patrol!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d take a belt sander and sand the tread off all four tyres till they’re as smooth as a baby’s bottom. That’ll show him.

mattyfez

Tyres at the legal minimum tread depth can still cause serious aquaplaning on motorways.

Legal minimum doesn’t mean safe.

Could be a bit of a busy body or could be trying to be genuinely a good neighbour, who knows.

What we do know is you need new tyres.

Or do we, what’s your tread depth op?

Drac

Yawn, only with you. And you need to get over it.

Ermmmm! Ok. 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

I bet your wife and the neighbour are at it.
    You’d best confront her now before she leaves you.
    He’s probably posting a similar thread somewhere called “Noisy Neighbours WTF”

funkmasterp

Seems like a nice thing to do in my opinion. Just to be safe though you should throw bricks through his windows. The nosy bastard.

stumpy01

Without knowing him, it’s hard to know if he was being a knob or not.

Sounds to me like he was just trying to be helpful & your reaction does sound a bit OTT. But, it all depends on his attitude etc.

FWIW, I fairly regularly see cars with bonnets open on the latch – perhaps two per month. If I am in a position to do so, I will tell the driver that their bonnet is open.
    The response is either 50% grateful that I’ve pointed it out or 50% ‘no it isn’t (you knobber)…..oh, erm….’.

From the sounds of your reaction to hearing what this bloke had done, I suspect you’d react in the second manner….?

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

I suppose it is better to have a nosy neighbour than a neighbour from hell.

🙂

shakers97
    Free Member

Youve raised this with the right people. Who cares about stopping distances impaired by illegal car tyres? Anyone would think we’re a bunch of bloody cyclists.

edlong
    Free Member

We’ve got neighbours who would do that. One of them let us know when our brake light was out. I thanked him.

Your reaction seems very weird to me.

Apart from being annoyed at his parking, is there any previous between you and him?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m pleased we have ‘nosey’ neighbours. 3 weeks ago someone knocked on our door at 10.45pm, She said she was from over the road at no 1 ( there’s so many people in that house I can’t keep up) & she said she just seen someone slip down the side of our caravan in the drive then back out again & going back out of the street, I said thanks a lot & said I’d have a look. Transpired that it was my stepson dropping off a birthday present for me from Mrs Egf (who’s been too ill to get out for something)

Birthday surprise ruined, ‘nosey’ neighbour thanked very much for being so vigilant! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘WTF Nosy neighbour content’ is closed to new replies.