Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • WTF, my daughter cant visit grandfarther in hospital ?
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

OP did not mention daughters age, also the ward could be going against policy by preventing a child that is NOT under five from visiting, I would only complain to chief exec if I found this to be the case…if thats okay TJ :roll:. I will ask sister in law who is a Nurse ward manager on the policy.

TooTall
    Free Member

From my local NHS Trust website:

It is recommended that patients have no more than two visitors at any one time. Children under five years are advised not to visit the adult wards apart from in exceptional circumstances.

In an effort to minimise the spread of Norovirus over the winter months, NBT is asking children under the age of 11 not to visit. These restrictions currently exclude children’s and maternity wards. Exceptions to these rules may be authorised by the ward sister or the nurse in charge in extraordinary circumstances. Please discuss with ward staff or phone ahead of your visit, if you have any questions.

Seems so very reasonable – who could argue with that?

simonm
    Free Member

To put it in context, its a stroke ward. Basically not infected / week people but people who are physically damaged by the stroke. First time he was in there for 3 months.. so anything to break the Mental monotony is a good thing.

We've weighed up the infection concern in that she may pick up infections, but to be honest, she's picked up so many at nursery in the last few months we don't think the ward would be any worse for a single visit for 1 1/2 hours.

The hospital is Sheffield Northern General, It appears policy is left to each individual ward. We have talked to the Ward and finally they agreed to allow to meet in the dining room for a short time. We got the feeling that they thought it was a ball ache that someone would have to bring him to the dining room, which we could easly do… afterall, we've looked after him for over two years with his disabilities.

My main gripe is the context of the Ward doesn't really fit with a ban on grounds of infection considering the effects of stroke don't necessarily increase the risk of infection to the patients. Half the fight with a stroke is in Mental well being…. imagine being a fit mountain biker for 20/30 years, the main bread winner in a family for that time, then suddenly not being able to work, walk, drive or talk properly. Its almost like the Ward have a complete misunderstanding of the needs of those specific patients.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

Our policy on ITU is no children, and my policy when I'm in charge is don't even think about trying to come in through the front door with children.

There are all kinds of infection control reasons, and all kinds of avoiding distressing scenes reasons, but my own personal reason is that if your child comes on to my unit and gets any kind of injury from messing about in the corridor, touching something they shouldn't, or any other reason, I get into trouble and my hospital gets sued.

So, no children.

This is based on an actual case of a suboptimally supervised child that managed to place itself at risk, and resulted in disciplinary action against a member of staff.

TooTall
    Free Member

Wow – are you sure you're not a doctor or responsible for preventing infection in hospitals?
    Another 'king expert in someone else's AOR. I think the potential source of infection is your daughter – not the unwell people gathered together to try and get better. Not 'week' people? Give me strength.
    Can I register as one of your patients? 🙄

JulianA
    Free Member

Sorry you are having a bad time.

Hmmm, welcome to Britain. It's rubbish.

crikey
    Free Member

Its almost like the Ward have a complete misunderstanding of the needs of those specific patients.

But if he got a 'Hospital Acquired Infection', you'd be disappointed, right?

…and being in hospital generally does increase your risk of any infection…

spw3

While it's understandable that people wish to visit friends and family members in hospital there are three things to remember:
    1. Children are not always well behaved
    2. Most UK hospital beds are in shared bays not private rooms
    3. Hospitals are designed and run for the investigation, care and treatment of patients not relatives.

It may make you feel better if your child can visit a family member but I'm afraid she may not be well behaved and you will not always be able to control her behaviour. Your father may be pleased to see her other patients may not and imposing her presence on them is not reasonable. Patients can be cheered by family visits but they are also sometimes tired out by them.

Try to remember – its not all about you.

crikey
    Free Member

…and if we let Little Miss Well behaved in, we have to let young Master Dennis the Menace in too…..

simonm
    Free Member

ITU fair enough, I guess no one her understands the context of a Stroke ward……

Woody
    Free Member

ITU fair enough, I guess no one her understands the context of a Stroke ward……

Maybe you can explain it then as you obviously feel you have a better understanding of the requirements than any of the other medically qualified posters or hospital staff?

crikey
    Free Member

I guess no one her understands the context of a Stroke ward……

I think you might be guessing wrongly in my case. I understand the context well enough, and I understand the reasons behind your complaint and the reasons behind the hospital policy.

It might be okay with your daughter, but what about all the other kids?

It's a hospital, with a specific job to do. If you feel that you have a special case, ask and see what happens instead of complaining on a mountain bike forum.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Child comes onto ward and:

sticks hand inside sharps bin
    trips patient during therapy session
    Jumps over beds/climbs over furniture
    Adjusts pump/equipment settings
    Sticks finger in patient wound

All examples I've witnessed first hand, two of which were on acute stroke units. Without wanting to sound rude, your understanding of a stroke unit is the experience of visiting a patient, so very limited.

You're right that a visiting child can be a real bonus for patients, but they can also be a proper pain (as can a lot of visiting adults actually).

crikey
    Free Member

Child comes into clinic and:

sticks hand inside sharps bin

Resulted in full blown media attention plus disciplinary action….

No children, thanks.

simonm
    Free Member

My wife's a Nurse like you to crikey, We see the issues.. and after 2 years of living with this we see the benefits. In the end we got to the Ward, they said, just take her to his room… he's in a room on his own btw. God knows why there was so much hassle before we visited about not bringing her, and all the staff were happy to see her on the ward !

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘WTF, my daughter cant visit grandfarther in hospital ?’ is closed to new replies.