• This topic has 81 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • WTF !!! mega car tyre wear.. whats caused this. ??
  • toby1

When I first moved from Steelies to Alloys I wasn’t keeping an eye on the pressures regularly enough. Rears were down and wore a bit like that. Was on the roundabout outside our local tesco’s at about 10mph when the backend broke free and I drifted 90 degrees, I got a few funny looks, then went to get new tyres and now check them regularly.

andyl
    Free Member

Camber still looks to be out on one side of the front. Could be a pattern part wishbone/ball joint that is not quite right or could be a sign of a failing bush, ball joint or it’s had a knock to the wheel. Keep an eye on that tyre and if you just want to live with it rotate the tyres every now and then.

Some tyres last a long time (Michelins cost more but in my experience last very well and grip well down to the legal limit), some drivers look after their tyres better and some cars look after their tyres better.

Regardless of if you or the car are heavy on tyres the key is check pressure and tyre wear across the whole tyre regularly. Last week I was serving our FL and noticed that the OH had not been checking the inside and I hadn’t either (her car and I have drummed it into her to keep the pressures spot on which she does). Quite a bit of wear on the inside edge and I knew we had a track rod end with a bit of play. Caught them soon enough to save the tyres and not affect the diameter (important on a 4wd) and had the tracking done after replacing both TREs with decent ones (cheap ball joints are false economy).

Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘WTF !!! mega car tyre wear.. whats caused this. ??’ is closed to new replies.