Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • WTF KMC????
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just back from a gentle 15 miles in the Ridgway and a mile from home I get a bit of a funny false shift feel from the back end.
    Stop at the local fro a post ride ale and then cruise the 400 yds home.Take the bike inside to do what I assume was tighten the cables when I notice this.

Only about 350 miles on the bike and I’m not a hard rider…

Worrying.

letmetalktomark

It’s the split link by the looks of things.

Incorrect installation?

tenfoot

Probably only one side was connected properly.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dunno. Fitted by Cannondale not me. Looked fine on Saturday when I lubed it. Was fine yesterday when I rode it and again this afternoon. Didn’t hit the chain on anything.

Weird as…

Jamie
    Free Member

Worrying

Indeed. Going to be a sleepless night tonight.

tenfoot

I have the same chain on my bike. I’d better keep an eye on it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Worrying
    Indeed. Going to be a sleepless night tonight.

Nah.
    Angst is over.
    Had a glass of wine and got the hybrid ready for tomorrow and will pick up two spare missing links for next time.

JCL
    Free Member

Same thing happened to the KMC on my road bike. Binned it.

scotroutes

I misread the title and thought this was going to be about deep-fried chicken offcuts.

Is disappoint.

andytherocketeer

Same thing happened to the KMC on my mountain bike that had only been used for about 100 miles of tow path spec riding. Binned it.

But in my case, NOT the quicklink, but a random link somewhere else.

Same thing happened to 2 friends KMC chains at about the same time.

qwerty
    Free Member

My son and I both had the KMC chains snap on our 5 month old BMXs. His has definately not had any abuse. His was a regular one, mine a half link, both fitted as standard on our completes.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Happened to the KMC chain fitted to my Trek after about three months(150miles approx)fitted a Shimano chain after that no more problems 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow. I thought KMC were the new SRAM?

theflatboy
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – Member

Same thing happened to the KMC…
    But in my case, NOT the quicklink, but a random link somewhere else.

So, not the same thing…

Northwind

It’s the same with any chain fail, they’re always likely to break fairly quick, because pretty much all chains are strong unless there’s a defect. So you go “Man, that only lasted 50 miles, it must be rubbish” but it can happen to any of ’em and the next one might last forever.

(most Shimano chains are made by KMC incidentally, just to Shimano’s inferior spec 😉 )

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a KMC 10sp quick link. No dramas so far after 300ish miles.

…but then I did install it properly 😛

budwozza
    Free Member

Looking at both pictures the chains seem very dirty, do you clean and lube regularly ?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

budwozza – Member
    Looking at both pictures the chains seem very dirty, do you clean and lube regularly ?

Cleaned and lubed on Saturday.

Edit: Are you a roadie? For an MTB chain they seem reasonable to me.

andytherocketeer

i’m sure all 3 brands are the dog’s danglies and a load of rubbish at the same time.

mine was installed correctly.

tbh since I know several others who had KMC ones go at the same time, we did wonder if there was a batch of fakes out there. all have gone within 100-200 miles of easy riding. the OP is the first one I’ve seen where it was the quicklink that failed. had other brands go mid way between join too.

ski
    Free Member

do you clean and lube regularly ?

😉

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

They look very clean for mtb chains to me.

andytherocketeer

erm it was 3 dry dusty rides old (152km in total)
    definitely lubed before at least one of those 3
    dirt has nothing to do with it
    oh and it was a brand new chain, brand new cassette, and brand new chainrings on mine, before anyone asks.

edit: and it snapped my multitool chain breaker (which had already been weakened fixing someone else’s chain). I now carry a proper chain tool.

fortunately my emergency spares kit contains a €2 coin for the tram, and the app for the local transport co. which navigates you to the nearest tram stop (and lets you buy e-tickets too)

rOcKeTdOg

yea, not the best links

shortcut

Oh dear, what am I to do?

I was sure, I had been told, by a reliable source (the STW Massif) that KMC Chains were the answer to all the worlds problems. Now this happens. This is how melt downs happen.

Just as well I run Shimano having drawn my own conclusions some time ago.

tthew

100+ links on every chain, on every bike. It’s really not going to take long to make one duff pin or plate that will fail early in life, even with 6sigma levels of manufacturing quality.

Just take one link out and don’t worry about it.

eshershore
    Free Member

been using KMC 9 and 10 speed chains on various bikes for some years, both road and mountain

no issues to report?

fit a lot of KMC chains at work too…seen very few, if any come back with any problems.

Seen many more broken shimano chains over the years, and even broken SRAM chains

Make of that what you will?

therevokid
    Free Member

used kmc 8,9 and 10 speed chains for ages without any issues at all …
    popped an 11 speed on the road bike (all campag) and within 100 miles
    ping off it went into the undergrowth with a failed link. got home and
    fitted a second, spare, 11 speed chain and rode for 3 miles thinkng
    this ain’t right … back home and investigate to find that there was a
    roller missing. the chain was still intact, no missing or bent bits
    just no roller !!!!!!

now use shimano on the mtb and proper campag on the road bike !

andytherocketeer

as I said…

i’m sure all 3 brands are the dog’s danglies and a load of rubbish
    at the same time

most people probably will have 1 or 2 chain breaks, and put that brand in the pile of rubbish category.

will update when I break a SRAM chain.

play it safe and go belt drive 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Funny that, the x10 on my Anthem lasted 2600km before it was stretched to buggery and had knackered the whole drive train. Including a severe lack of cleaning and a lot of caning

fibre
    Free Member

Been using KMC exclusively with no issues for about 10+ years and before that Sram issue free.
    KMC do manufacture a lot of big name brands chains so I’d like to think they know what they’re doing, you are going to get the odd faulty one with any brand.

JohnnyPanic

I’ve used KMC (x9 sl) for years without any issues. I guess they’ve all got the potential for failure and I guess we all develop prejudices based on our individual experiences.

mtbtortoise
    Free Member

8 speed KMC on my road bike went on Friday-quick link as well. Stupidly hadn’t thought Road chains broke very often so didn’t have chain tool…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve blown and twisted links on shimano, sram and kmc chains. What’s your point caller?

boxelder

JCL
    Free Member

I think KMC have been fine until recently. Something is wrong at the moment though. Lots of reports at the LBS of the OE KMC’s on 14 Giant road bikes failing.

chico66
    Free Member

I’ve had two failures similar to the OP in recent months. all bought on ebay. Would anyone fake quick links?

qwerty
    Free Member

I should add that after our two failed I replaced them immediately with…. another KMC chain, KMC510HX, of which I’ve never had an issue over many years of abuse.

ratherbeintobago

play it safe and go belt drive

Ahem

Ahem
    For what it’s worth, I use a KMC Z610 on my Lynskey and tandem.
    I haven’t broken one yet.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘WTF KMC????’ is closed to new replies.