Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • WTF is this a new trend???
  • BoardinBob

The sandwich shop I go to for lunch is also the local hang out for all the cycle couriers. A dozen or so fixies lined up out side the shop and (and bizarrely an On-One with RS Revelations :confused: ).

Anywho, there was a fixie there to day, with the handlebars cut down so that either side of the stem, there was the length of the grips and nothing more. :confused:

never seen that before and looked highly dangerous and probably unstable at speed!

Stoner
    Free Member

Nathan Barley-tastic.

Been a few eejits in London riding around on 300mm bars for a while now.

Just watch out for the boom in dildo bars:
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Ueda_Kenichi.html

sofatester
    Free Member

Old news, see a few flying around London over the years.

Yep, they look proper scary at speed. I presume it’s to aid moving between traffic.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it’s so they can out-niche their fashion-victim mates.

soobalias
    Free Member

my bars are 10mm wider than my hips, for safety.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, they look proper scary at speed. I presume it’s to aid moving between traffic.

Gonna make a big difference! Your hands go through the gap, but not yer arse, right?

BoardinBob

No, it’s so they can out-niche their fashion-victim mates.

You want to see some of the clothes they wear 😆

It’s like they tripped into a charity shop’s window

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Your hands go through the gap, but not yer arse, right?

Well, you’re arse might not, mate… 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

those kind of people should be shot. a disgrace to the cycling community.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw loads like that when I was up in Old Street on a course a few months back. Looked bloody scarey.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, you’re arse might not, mate…

OI! Steady on old bean!

I’ll have you know I clear traffic with my head….
    😈

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

those kind of people should be shot. a disgrace to the cycling community.

😆

D0NK

As I pulled up at a redlight this morning a guy on his shiny fixie bianchi in his sisters jeans (rolled up of course) swerved round me and went through, I didn’t notice the width of his bars tho.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Saw someone near Brighton with bars like that, on my way home from work, had to do a double take, going down a hill quite quick, looked unstable to me! I spent the journey home wondering … WHY? 😕

nickegg
    Free Member

Jesus! I cycled into Bristol yesterday on my GT Legato hybrid with barends, rear mud guard AND Gears (and i was wearing actual cycle gear!)

I must have looked a total plank?!!! I just saw that new Charge video, WTF!!!

Now i know why i live in the countryside.

jacksta
    Free Member

some also have their saddles impossibly high, like 6″+ above their cut down bars or maybe its they have their bars low? either way, dont see how they can ride around all day like that, see cars pulling out on them or pedestrians stepping from between cars….got to have sore a**/hands?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Being a Sheffielder I’d never seen any of these ‘fixie’ types. I’d read about the phenomenon but not put a great deal of thought into it.

Then last weekend I visited a friend in London and we had a walk down Brick Lane and the surrounding area. Oh my. Never before have I seen such a bunch of ridiculous gayers on ridiculously inappropriately specced track bikes doing rubbish wheelies.

Each to his own like, but bloody hell what a bizarre trend.

dooge
    Free Member

I saw that last year. Strikes me as odd why they have their bars so narrow. Weight saving? Squeezing through traffic? Fashion? I dont see the point…

yoshimi

I think we should have a picture thread, as being from up north, I don’t get the chance to point and laugh at these “{well, i don’t really know what the slang is}”

MrAgreeable

I think that’s the point though. They may attract ridicule but they also get you attention, and annoy the squares (i.e. people with practical, functional bikes).

MrSmith
    Free Member

ARE THESE PEOPLE INSANE?

hillsplease

It’s Darwinism for cyclists. Possibly.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I was a courier in London in the late eighties and some couriers had massively cut down bars even then

theboatman
    Free Member

It’s all folk nobbing round on bikes, I’m all for it. I’m not sure a pack of fat 40’somethings stood round in a national park decked out as freeride gods looks that cool 😕

jackthedog
    Free Member

ARE THESE PEOPLE INSANE?

Good lord, I’d be embarassed to be seen on such a machine. What a ridiculous thing. Looks like they got the perspective wrong when they built it. I can only assume it’s the Vitus M.C.Escher limited edition.

But if it’s cool, then it’s cool and I must be a square.

poppa
    Free Member

I saw someone with seriously cut down bars on a fixie in Southampton the other day. Southampton!!!

MrAgreeable

ARE THESE PEOPLE INSANE?

Yes! The white tyre should clearly go on the front, so it doesn’t show the black marks from all the kool fixie skids he’s going to pull. Doye.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Precious few other uses for old low pro TT frames, why not make them into a mong bike to beat around the city on?

scunnybikedude
    Free Member

ive never seen it before ,wouldnt of thought you can controll the bike very well even n roads , i can see it making bar spins alot easyer mind 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

That bike has a pink chain 😯

IWH
    Free Member

Bloody Fakengers. There’s a load of them jumped on the bandwagon at the Uni down here, right twunts the lot of them, blasting through red lights, playing slalom with pedestrians. Not to worry though, it’ll be totally uncool in about 5 minutes.

joe1983
    Free Member

IWH did you get my mail RE the garmin?

sodafarls
    Free Member

My mate brought his iro fixie around the other day to fit some new dildo bars (he doesn’t own a set of allen keys, or a pump for that matter). Anyway, I thought the whole point of changing his handlebars to the almost identical width and sweep of his dildo bars was to show off the bulbous ends, ie the reason for the heavy chromed cast pig iron rather than the square and conventional bent tube arrangement.

Anyway, when bars where fitted, he then insisted on cutting the ends off his starspangled grips to refit them, but also be able to show off his bulbous ends. “Looks like Captain America’s cock” I told him. He took a bit of a sulk at that.

This is a true story.

IWH
    Free Member

Joe – no, but I saw your post on the Pushed thread. As before gimme a call on 07807 912183 if it turns up tomorrow otherwise I’ll have a word with the Post people and get back to you in the afternoon. Sorry it’s not arrived yet!

crazy-legs

Or, as accurately described above:

😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘WTF is this a new trend???’ is closed to new replies.