Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • wtf is smart casual.
  • rootes1

like alan partridge but without the tie..

rootes1

round the midlands somewhere?

‘checks n decks’ all the way.

brassneck

Buck the trend and go ‘Sports Casual’ – think, what would Alan do??

brassneck

great minds eh? 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about this, as you are slightly fashion averse I’ll put it into terms you understand…

Instead of wearing your favourite cartoon character t-shirt. Put a shirt on and wear your favourite cartoon character tie instead.

Sort of like Mos off of IT crowd but with more cartoons (I assume you’re in IT for some reason).

No need to thank me.

rootes1

Ron Burgandy?

Torminalis
    Free Member

IIRC all you need for smart casual is a Pith Helmet, everything else is optional.

br
    Free Member

If I can’t wear what I want to wear, I don’t go. I **** hate dress codes with a passion. “Smart Casual”, “Morning Suits”(FFS!!), “Black Tie”(WTF!?).

For my wifes’ 40th we hired a decent place for a big plush bash.

When it was been discussed a friend commented that he wasn’t going anywhere that required ‘smart dress’ – not a problem, says the wife, we won’t invite you.

Solved that one.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v8VAt5hO8s[/video]

john_drummer
    Free Member

Put on your best suit, shirt, shoes & tie

Now remove the tie

That, sir, is smart casual

GaryLake
    Free Member

Think relaxed job interview and you’ll be fine.

Alex

I feel your pain. It’s like brogues. I could probably identify a pair if pushed, but wouldn’t really understand why.

I rambled on a bit about smart-casual here: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=560

U31
    Free Member

Id love to procure a pair of loon pants.

philconsequence
    Free Member

jsut watched that AP clip… there isnt a single outfit he wears that would be out of place at a smart-with a hint of-casual affair.

please, please, do copy AP.

back of the net.

emsz
    Free Member

Chuckling at slacks. My dad wears slacks. Loser

U31
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with fawn slacks

MussEd
    Free Member

Regardless of how cool you think you are. If you are asking you’re going to end up looking like one of these…

brick
    Free Member

Faded Jeans
    Black T-shirt
    Suit jacket (sleeves rolled up)
    Espadrills
    Aviator shades.

Good enough for Roger Waters, good enough for you.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Blazer, shirt, jeans and brogues – why the **** does almost everyone over 30 wear this “uniform” and think it looks good? It looks sh1te. As demonstrated above.

teagirl
    Free Member

Just get the Boden catalogue, sorted it for you. 8)

U31
    Free Member

Smart Casual is the usual clubbing attire round these parts..
    Designer smart jeans, say Jack Jones or similar. Nice heavy belt.
    Very smart collared shirt, long or short sleeve, or properly buttoned up long sleeves worn short as per the season / temperature, again a good label, worn outside the jeans.
    Smart shoes.
    Done

Coyote
    Free Member

If I can’t wear what I want to wear, I don’t go. I **** hate dress codes with a passion. “Smart Casual”, “Morning Suits”(FFS!!), “Black Tie”(WTF!?).

For my wifes’ 40th we hired a decent place for a big plush bash.

When it was been discussed a friend commented that he wasn’t going anywhere that required ‘smart dress’ – not a problem, says the wife, we won’t invite you.

Solved that one.

As long as you value pretention over friendship, that’s just fine. Rather folk wore what the hell they liked and enjoyed themselves.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Very smart collared shirt, long or short sleeve, or properly buttoned up long sleeves worn short as per the season / temperature, again a good label, worn outside the jeans.
    Smart shoes.
    Done

Of course it’s all about the label.

I don’t think.

thomthumb
    Free Member

labels are for those who have mistaken fashion for style.

DaRC_L

Yep I too hate the ‘smart casual’ but then growing up in the ’80s gave me an undying hatred of casuals. My favourite club had the anti-casual dress code = no white trainers or socks etc….

I like a clear dress code – Black Tie, Morning Suit means you know where you stand.

BTW WTF is a ‘good label’ shurely one persons good label is another persons attrocious one!

MussEd
    Free Member

Very smart collared shirt, long or short sleeve, or properly buttoned up

FAIL…I find myself agreeing with Surf-Mat??? AWESOME!

U31
    Free Member

Some of us have the panache to carry off the look… others.. well…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Some of us have the panache to carry off the look… others.. well…

And the failometer redlines…

U31
    Free Member

Jaysus, i’m never going out on the pull with surf Mat, i’d be beatin’ the lads n lasses off wi a stick as they point and laugh at Mat’s Primark wardrobe… 😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

when i go out i like to do things properly…. expect to see me wearing this delightful get-up for our swinley group ride.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I see U31, because I laugh at your label worship and your need to tell us what the “correct” labels are, it means I must have a wardrobe of pikey clothes? Hmmm…

Quite the opposite; however if my clothes DO have a label, I make damn sure no one can see it. I buy clothes because they are nicely cut/well made/technically decent/etc not to advertise some borderline chav townie label and be EXACTLY the same as all my label droid mates…

Style fail. Big time.

Oh here’s some examples of the brand you worship:

Hmmm – stylish… 😆 😆

Torminalis
    Free Member

expect to see me wearing this delightful get-up for our swinley group ride

In which case you can probably dispense with the pink carnation.

I will be dressed like this, should be easy enough to find…

U31
    Free Member

It doesnt need to be plastered all over, as you say, discrete is king here, but its all about the cut of stuff, this marks it aside from the council/ pikey / ned wear, and unfortunately this quality seems only comes with the higher ticket clothes.

As an aside, the only time i have ever bought a t shirt with a label plastered all over it, was a cheap £12 soul cal that was written with really wobbly writing.. I was at a warehouse party where i knew everyone would be that mashed, the writing would mess with their vision – or a bright pink sergio tachini with the acid smiley face on, for an Old Skool reunion… a dj playing on the night said would i bothered wearing something like that? Give it here!!!
    Both these were obvious p takes with a group of mates that know me well enough!

U31
    Free Member

Edit, forum posted above twice… 😯

Tourmalis… if you can carry that off, on a night out, good on ya! It would be a mean spirited doorman to object, i think you wouldnt have prob getting in to any Manchester club!

aP
    Free Member

a good label

Can anyone explain what that requires? and what is Jack Jones? Oh, I’ve just googled them, looks awful.
    I’ve always thought that anywhere that stipulates “smart casual” is usually the kind of place that I’d prefer not to go to.

philconsequence
    Free Member

tie-die onsie…. i bet you thought you’d win with that didnt you?!

well HAHAAAA!! even TSY cant beat my new choice!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Surf Mat is WIN.

🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It sounds like you are too low in social status and standing to be invited to any gathering with a prerequisite of any sort. Best you remain outside with your nose pressed against the window along side the other grubby urchins.

Nah; we’ll be down the road at the decent club, proper giving it some, while you struggle to hold in your farts lest you embarrass yourself in front of a load of other ponces.

And then later, I might stagger up to you while you’re waiting for a taxi, and vomit my kebab in your wife’s cleavage.

The difference is, I won’t remember owt the next day, but you will be permanently scarred….

U31
    Free Member

I’m goin out on the Pull with Elfin…..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Stick with me son, you’ll do well.

Seriously though; dress codes are divisive and simply serve as some sort of indicator of status, which, at a do where people are meant to enjoy themselves, is just rubbish. As for the ‘no trainers’ thing; the best footwear to dance in is something comfy, not some stiff-soled unforgiving thing that leaves you crippled. It’s a policy adopted by clubs who want to appear a bit ‘up market’, but they’re invariably shite. Full of people who are too busy trying to look good and ‘fit in’, than relax and have a good time.

Sometimes you have to smarten up a bit, because it’s convention, and you don’t want to cause embarrassment. A mate of mine went to a friend’s wedding in a tatty jumper, cords and moccasins. Everyone else was wearing suits. He stood out like a sore thumb, and just looked scruffy. He felt out of place and a bit ashamed actually.

But clothes do not maketh the mayn…

No, but dancing does!

Have you seen me dancing? Y’know, reaaallly dancing??

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘wtf is smart casual.’ is closed to new replies.