Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • WTF is slopestyle ffs??
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Seriously what is it??? I am proper confuzzled where this has come from. MBUK keep wittering on about it and I am stood going wtf? I personally think it's a money generator, but hey i'm cynical 😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yes I do, but I was hoping for some stw esque discussion.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yep, it's just a monkey generator

bobbyspangles

cynical…or just an old duffer with no vision of the future? 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am v cynical 😆 So what kind of rig do you need for that then? 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

Think it's great as a spectator sport, big tricks are always exciting. Thought it was a bit naff at first but watching that vid it looks like the slopestylers know what slopestyle is.

Agree it's a good opportunity to sell us another bike for another niche but no-one's forcing you to buy it, and surely the chance of extra coverage for the sport as a whole is good?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Its taken from arguably Snowboarding's best discipline

In MTB it's kind of like a cross between downhill and "freestyle jumping" (you know freestyle jumping all those techie named spins and flips that make you wish you were 15 years young, so that you could have a go and it not hurt soooo much when you got it wrong)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its the new freeride darling…

cookeaa

It exists in Canukia and Yankland apparently where thems what couldn't quite make it as BMXers do most of the same shit on MTBs with slightly less style and more logos, while drinking Red Bull, high-fiveing and calling each other Dude…

Their sponsors then put the "Slopestyle" suffix on one of their already overpriced bikes and flog it over here for an extra £200 to fat IT managers who ride it of 2Ft log piles for 3 weeks before deciding the Head angle or colour is “Holding them back” and sell it to fund a 5” trail bike like every other **** else, thus the merry go round continues…

geoffj

Their sponsors then put the "Slopestyle" suffix on one of their already overpriced bikes and flog it over here for an extra £200 to fat IT managers who ride it of 2Ft log piles for 3 week before deciding the Head angle or colour is “Holding them back” and sell it to fund a 5” trail bike like every other **** else, thus the merry go round continues…

😆

GaryLake
    Free Member

Of all the niches to get cynical about, I don't think slopestyle is one. It's kind of obvious and well defined and people actually compete and win money.

And it's massively entertaining to watch. There's a good section around the halfway mark on Seasons…

singletrackhor
    Free Member

lol@cookeaa

manitou
    Free Member

It exists in Canukia and Yankland apparently where thems what couldn't quite make it as BMXers do most of the same shit on MTBs with slightly less style and more logos, while drinking Red Bull, high-fiveing and calling each other Dude…

Their sponsors then put the "Slopestyle" suffix on one of their already overpriced bikes and flog it over here for an extra £200 to fat IT managers who ride it of 2Ft log piles for 3 weeks before deciding the Head angle or colour is “Holding them back” and sell it to fund a 5” trail bike like every other **** else, thus the merry go round continues

excellent. Dude!

nuke

😆 @ cookeaa …spot on

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes I do, but I was hoping for some stw esque discussion.

You mean you wanted to take the p*** out of it?

grumm
    Free Member

Crikey there are some miserable people out there – some of the tricks these people are doing are absolutely incredible, but rather than appreciate their skill let's whine about how they think they're so cool eh?

monkeychild
    Free Member

You mean you wanted to take the p*** out of it?

Don't know what you are on about 😆 The whole lets make up another niche amuses me somewhat. And @ Cookeaa fpmsl. I respect the tricks that they do, but that's what I thought "freeride, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxc, gnarlcore" or whatever was for??

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am trying to get back into "riding my bike". The fragmentation of the aggressive-jeycore-lite scene has become too confusing. I no longer know what bike I'm supposed to take on rides or whether they're going to be ambient, trail, aggressive-xc, XXXC, gnarl-lite or free-core. 🙂

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You moron. It's evolution of a sport – how do you think mountain biking in general started? Some guys took their bikes off road, adapted them to work better and then the manufacturers started to make bikes that were more suited to it. It's just the same thing again, people are riding different stuff in different ways and then bikes come out that suit their needs. No-one's 'making up a niche'. How the f#ck would you do that anyway?

timc
    Free Member

Off road BMX looking at that video

peachos
    Free Member

Its taken from arguably Snowboarding's best discipline

yep pretty much. basically you'll have a manmade area of jumps, hip jumps, walls, gaps, ladders, boxes etc and each contestant is judged on things like technicality of tricks, stlye & line choice/difficulty.

freeriding is similar in a way but generally takes place in more natural environments.

crankworx = slopestlye
    red bull rampage = freeriding

kimbers

if you have to ask you aint got it!

monkeychild
    Free Member

You moron. It's evolution of a sport – how do you think mountain biking in general started? Some guys took their bikes off road, adapted them to work better and then the manufacturers started to make bikes that were more suited to it. It's just the same thing again, people are riding different stuff in different ways and then bikes come out that suit their needs. No-one's 'making up a niche'. How the f#ck would you do that anyway?

Blimming 'eck someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning! It's Friday, it's a bit of lighthearted banter, get over it! Anyway I am way in a niche as I ride with a toaster strapped to my bars, I totally ride xxxxxc toastcore dude!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mountain biking was niche once!

The reason the bikes are different from freeride IMO is that Slopestyle courses are a bit like DH dirt jump tracks, quite perfect and groomed. But the jumps etc are quite big so a bit of rear suss is desirable.

Tsk, luddites 😉

grumm
    Free Member

The whole lets make up another niche amuses me somewhat.

The thing is though, the sport is massively more developed over there, especially on the more freeride side of things – so inevitably you will get more classification, sub genres etc.

Next time you go and buy a bike, and the guy in the bike shop asks what kind of riding you do

'I JUST WANT A BIKE FFS – WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TRY AND CATEGORIZE EVERYTHING AND MAKE UP ALL THESE BULLSHIT NICHES!!!'

ajc
    Free Member
    boxfish
    Free Member

I totally ride xxxxxc toastcore dude!

I await the 2010 Specialized Crumpet XR9 toastcore rig, complete with 'buttery smooth' suspension action.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I await the 2010 Specialized Crumpet XR9 toastcore rig, complete with 'buttery smooth' suspension action.

😆

I am all about the Santa Cruz Muffin Man 'bro. Itz got a skidz brake that throws up jam!

cookeaa

fpmsl? Sorry I'm not 13 I don't understand your interweb speak…

But yes agreed they are all very skilled young chaps, it just seems that some marketers have harnessed their Gnarr, plus yet more stolen snowboarding terms to create a made for Web/TV/DVD/MBUK sport solely to flog expensive and inappropriate bikes to talentless, fat Larrys like me, and I’m not buying into this one…

If you actually watch some of the videos a fair competitors few pop up riding 4/5" forked HT's (basically Dirt jump bikes), so why does it have to be a slack angled Short travel full bouncer for Slopestyle?

And once I've bought this super bike where precisely am I going to find suitably Gnarr places to ride it, where exactly will I find a Crankworx-esque “Slopestyle” course in the UK with all those massive structures, groomed kickers and landings and 40Ft wall rides?

Bollocks, it’s not progress it’s marketing!

PJ266
    Free Member

No doubt there are some people who have built themselves what you describe cookeaa. I use my XC bike to ride downhill courses on, is that any different to buying a slopestyle bike and using it for XC or DH?

Oh, and the riders think they are "cool" because frankly, they are 😀

grumm
    Free Member

But yes agreed they are all very skilled young chaps, it just seems that some marketers have harnessed their Gnarr, plus yet more stolen snowboarding terms to create a made for Web/TV/DVD/MBUK sport

Maybe but if it allows people to more easily make a living by being amazing on a bike then fair play to them imo.

cookeaa

Nah it's all toss… Just buy a bike and ride it…

Stop spanking yourself over interweb videos of 18 year olds in ill fitting jeans back flipping a bike you can't afford…

grumm
    Free Member

Nah it's all toss… Just buy a bike and ride it…

What are you doing on this forum then?

poppa
    Free Member

What is the difference between freeride and slopestyle then? Also, how can you have a freeride competition? Anyway, I thought they were both big tricks on big bikes (i.e. not 24").

jamesca
    Free Member

people on here bang on about all the different niches in MTB, then list a string of names that i never hear outside of this forum, as far as i'm concerned slopestyle is just a type of freeride, just on a given course. don't like slopestyle bikes, don't buy one then. simple really.

(i don't have one either)

just because you never will have the skills to ride it doesn't mean you have to be so ignorant

poppa
    Free Member

/\

Can I have my high-horse back please?

cookeaa

What are you doing on this forum then?

Trolling of course, isn't everyone else?

soobalias
    Free Member

can i just re-classify my bikes or should i buy new ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘WTF is slopestyle ffs??’ is closed to new replies.