Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • WTF im 40 tomorrow
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Eh, how did that happen?
    Where did the time go.
    I’m depressed, help?
    On the plus side, I’m fit, healthy , have a lovely wife, 2 kids, nice cars. nice bikes, 2 houses etc etc…
    But I’m getting old.
    I don’t feel old., I’m still a big kid.
    Shit..

garage-dweller

My sympathy, 9 months and counting….

My cars are tatty though and just the one house.

As for where the time goes. I’m pretty darn sure it’s the kids. Life seems to have accelerated immeasurably ever since.

garage-dweller

Oh and Happy Birthday 😀

jonny-m
    Free Member

Cheers man!
    Not really botherd about it before now
    All of a sudden, realise it’s quite a big deal
    anyway,life goes on , I guess
    I’ve loved, lost etc.
    But I’m fit healthy and love riding bikes.
    Can’t be all bad!

jamj1974

I’m 41. It’s all downhill

garage-dweller

Jamj1974 I don’t think you’re helping 😛

Unless you’re suggesting its time for n+1 in the form of a downhill bike and more uplifts.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

You lucky b*stard I’d love to be 40 again

wilburt
    Free Member

40 is the new 18

jools182
    Free Member

I’m older, no house, no kids, no wife, cheap car, 8 year old bike

Count your blessings young man.

42 is the one to worry about anyway 😉

Matt24k
    Free Member

Happy Birthday.
    It’s all down hill from now and you have just had the best years of your life. I hope you made the most of them.
    Alternatively…… It’s just a number and life is what you make it even though you may struggle to read without the aid of glasses in the near future.

jamj1974

garage-dweller – Member
    Jamj1974 I don’t think you’re helping
    Unless you’re suggesting its time for n+1 in the form of a downhill bike and more uplifts.

I was joking! 🙂

It’s the same as any age OP – it is what you make it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wilburt – Member
    40 is the new 18

Is that the average age where people can finally move out from their parents house?

qwerty
    Free Member

Prostate check soon.

rOcKeTdOg

I can’t remember being 40 it was so long ago

therevokid
    Free Member

there was a 40 ??? bugger, must have been pissed then too 🙂

@jonny
    … just go ride a bike it’s not that bad really (I’m 52
    now and suffering possible angina wishing I’d ridden more)

have fun and happy birthday 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Happy Birthday. 🙂

cheers_drive

I’m 40 on Thursday, I’ve always thought that it’s just a number but now it’s nearly here I am starting to reflect on the past

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Happy birthday Jonny – we share the same b’day, just wish I still had a 4 in my age!!!! Still keep riding and that’s the key.

Nice quip about th prostrate check, although mine was a few years later.

daveh
    Free Member

10 months away for me. Presently sat in a Travelodge waiting to go pick up my preemptive strike midlife crisis 2 seat no roof sporty car. 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Rode my first cycling event to celebrate my 40th

That was nearly 7 years ago.

So far, other than enjoying my kids grow up, my 40s have sucked.

Seriously, when the GP offers you your over 40 checkup, take it. Various hereditary risk trends that exercise and diet will hopefully reduce. I will be fitter and healthier for my 50th than I was for my 40th, which was fitter and healthier than when I was 30.

TiRed

Happy Birthday. You’ll fit in well here now you’ve met the demographic.

Oh, and I started road racing at 45, so plenty of time to get training 😈

freeagent
    Free Member

43 here..
    I’m fitter/healthier that I was at 40 (still overweight though)

As for ‘where does the time go?’ it has just evaporated since I hit 40 – I blame the kids personally, most weekends are spent running them around.

Savour every day though – my younger brother died at 36 a couple of years back.. It feels odd knowing I made it 7 years older than he did..

jonny-m
    Free Member

Thanks for the comment guys, everything’s ok…..I think!

molgrips
    Free Member

Serious tip:

I’ve discovered that life slips by really fast when it’s always the same. Your brain doesn’t bother storing the boring stuff so there’s nothing in your memory and you look back and it seems to have gone.

Pack your life with different experiences and changes of situation – a year can still seem like ages if you look at it right. In other words, make sure you get your money’s worth!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hitting 40 (sadly 12 years ago today) was a big spurt for lots more sport. Better way of avoiding mid-life crisis than wasting money on a car (or banging your….)

Triathlons followed by marathons, ultra marathons and only then MTBing. Ran a half mara on the day of my 50th just for fun and to make space for pudding. love MTBing now and

Agree with mol, make the most of it while you can.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Gosh.. what an uplifting thread.. 😉

Happy B’Day dude.. 😀

I’m twelve months away. Hadn’t really thought of it as a ‘thing’ until now. Is 40 supposed to be a ‘thing’? Is my prostate gonna fall off, eyes suddenly fail etc.?

Oh hmmmm… I must prepare myself!

No wife, 1 house (owned by the bank), no kids, one 13 year old car, live in a rented flat about the size of a canal boat, with 11 bikes.

Happy, occasionally. Occasionally frustrated. Occasionally, anxious, Occasionally whimsical.

It does get better than this, right? 😉

verses

Turned 40 late last year, it hasn’t bothered me in the slightest. I found turning 30 worse.

When turning 30 you’re leaving the fun-packed 20s behind. When turning 40 you’re leaving the enjoyable-but-less-thrill-packed 30s behind for some more years of not being 20-something…

Essentially, if I’m not 18-25, then I’m not too fussed 🙂

GrahamS

Welcome to the top of the hill.

http://pbfcomics.com/32/

allan23
    Free Member

I’m 41. It’s all downhill

I’m 46, the hill gets steeper 🙂

Happy Birthday OP – the stuff is nice but good health is priceless. Keep riding.

Gunz
    Free Member

At 40 I discovered that I couldn’t sprint so hard on the bike anymore. Took up 12 hour solos and reckon it’s time for the 24h next year. I’m 45 now, crack on, who gives a s##t.

BillMC

I’m coming up to 60 and have never had so much fun in my life even though earlier years were pretty damned good. Bored by stuff (26×2 still), quite look forward to going down to one car, doing lots of travel, working temporarily but will be back to retirement soon (despite requests to the contrary), Mrs looking at v early retirement. Enjoy the moment, every one of them.

PrinceJohn

I’m 40 in just under 12 months time, own 5 bikes, have a small van, currently lodge with a family and have no savings.
    Life is good.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I was 48 yesterday – 40 seems like a long time ago! Financially in a good place but currently giving a lot of thought to how to take some of the work stress out of life.

corroded
    Free Member

I turned 40 last year. It wasn’t that bad actually. I’m as fit as ever but I find it takes more effort (or, I guess, less effort in that I need to rest more) to stay fit. Biggest change I’ve noticed is that I gain weight (relatively – I’m 6’2 and 175lbs) more readily and it’s harder to shift. I guess this is because my gerbil-like metabolism is slowing.
    I’ve spent much of my life trying to avoid clutter or being tied down. I don’t have a wife, or kids, or a mortgage, or a car, or a TV. My parents bought me a vacuum cleaner for my birthday, which was annoying 😉
    Instead, I work a lot, travel a lot, ride a lot, eat and drink a lot. And am reasonably happy as a result.

earl_brutus

I hit 40 last july and had a massive panic, bought two new full sussers and a big house in the countryside, then reality checked and slowly came to realise that I have all I need for a happy life, and that despite having everything i ever wanted in material possessions, good career etc. it was the people and places you go that really mean most in life so I am refocusing on that, being with friends and family and making more time to travel, rather than n+1 bikes, watches, guitars cars etc.
    life is damn short, dont waste a second of it! the material objects dont matter as much as you think they do!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Have you started getting up six times a night to pee?

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not forty for aaaaaaaaages*.

*next year

40mpg

I was 40 just recently… gonna be 47 next month!!!

Currently in the process of exiting a high-stress long-hours job working mostly in london for something slightly less stress and hours (at least through reduced travelling) and all local – yippee!

Add in a few toys like fatbikes, kayaks and a mission to drag the missus up every hill in the UK (I’m not sure she realised this yet) then my time is fairly full. Both kids may disappear to Uni this year which will provide even more playtime (I tell myself), just I’ll be skint instead but hey ho.

My goal is to try new stuff at every opportunity, it turns up some interesting things – I think I developed a taste for truffles last night!

trailhound101

40 is the old-age of youth
    50 is the youth of old-age.
    (not sure about the bit in between)
    Happy birthday

dustytrails

I was 40 recently and just turned 51 a month ago!!!!
    So all you whinging 40 year olds can just bollox!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘WTF im 40 tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.